string height

PDA

View Full Version : string height

shaggadelyc
09-17-2008, 05:12 AM
whats the normal height of the strings above the 14 fret?
its 8mm (about 0.3 inch) at my guitar, which seems way too high sometimes...

e32lover
09-17-2008, 06:03 AM
just lower it until it buzes then raise it a fraction

q1w2e4r4
09-17-2008, 06:48 AM
It's called the action.

But, yeah - e32lover's right.

Except he misspelt 'buzzes'.

MrFlibble
09-17-2008, 07:01 AM
It's called the action.Yes and no. 'Action' also includes the size of the fretwire and the curve of the neck, while 'string height' can also relate to how high the strings are from any point of the guitar, including just the body or pickups (not to be confused with pickup height).

Anyway, the answer to if it's right or not, comes down to two things:
1) Is it intonated correctly? Sometimes bad intonation can be fixed by simply lowering or raising the string height slightly.
2) Is it at the most comfortable height for you? Some people like higher action and string height, some people prefer it to be as low as possible. Try it both higher and lower, see which you prefer.

For what it's worth, personally I find ultra-low action to be just as unplayable as ultra-high action, not to mention lower string height reduces tuning stability and sustain slightly. I tend to find a 'medium-high' height (about 5.5mm from the top of the 12th fret) is the best balance of comfort, playability, tone, tension, clarity, sustain and stability.

Woozye
09-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Yes and no. 'Action' also includes the size of the fretwire and the curve of the neck, while 'string height' can also relate to how high the strings are from any point of the guitar, including just the body or pickups (not to be confused with pickup height).

1) Is it intonated correctly? Sometimes bad intonation can be fixed by simply lowering or raising the string height slightly.
2) Is it at the most comfortable height for you? Some people like higher action and string height, some people prefer it to be as low as possible. Try it both higher and lower, see which you prefer.

For what it's worth, personally I find ultra-low action to be just as unplayable as ultra-high action, not to mention lower string height reduces tuning stability and sustain slightly. I tend to find a 'medium-high' height (about 5.5mm from the top of the 12th fret) is the best balance of comfort, playability, tone, tension, clarity, sustain and stability.
Your reply taught me some things .

On thread: some people have it quite high, others extremely low . Find the one that suits you best, but the medium-high height MrFlibble said is what I have and it's great

KingStill
09-17-2008, 09:21 AM
8mm? !? Do you play limbo with your (electric?) guitar? With the capo at the 1st, my axe's action is 2mm at the 17th fret.

shaggadelyc
09-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Yes and no. 'Action' also includes the size of the fretwire and the curve of the neck, while 'string height' can also relate to how high the strings are from any point of the guitar, including just the body or pickups (not to be confused with pickup height).

first of all: good reply
but i have already changed my truss rod a bit because it seemed overbowed and lowered the bridge slightly.
but after doing all this it still seems too high and i think the problem is that the neck angle is just wrong. any tips on changing this or just leave it as it is? or is there anything else to lower?

shaggadelyc
09-17-2008, 10:51 AM
uh stupid me, i turned the screw the wrong direction. no wonder it didnt work :rolleyes:
thanks for all your advices, problem solved, no more limbo guitar for me :)

Hd94
09-17-2008, 03:16 PM
well i measure above the twelth fret and it should be about 3mm on the low e string and about 1.5 mm on the high e string