Dating a 1980s Squier Stratocaster by serial number

PDA

View Full Version : Dating a 1980s Squier Stratocaster by serial number

SkaJon
09-19-2008, 04:43 AM
Hey everyone,
This guy on Craigslist is selling an old Squier Stratocaster from the 1980s to me for 100 USD. The pickups have been swapped out and the pick guard changed to a white pearluloid and he says he changed the strings and set up the guitar for purchase. All in all looks like a nice backup guitar to my Tele. I have a question for you UG masses though, can anyone help me date the guitar, the guy said it was from the 80s but I would like to know when and where it was manufactured. Here's the serial number he provided mc680978. BTW I have used the search feature and google and still nothing so if you can help me that would be great.
Thanks everyone!

Oh BTW here's the crappy pics he included in the e mail, guy must not be tech savvy but then it makes sense, because there are a lot of older people in this region of Florida

ClementWave
09-19-2008, 04:47 AM
According to Harmony-Central:

" M + 6 Digits = 1992 to 1993 Made in Japan "

SkaJon
09-19-2008, 04:55 AM
hmm a 90s Japanese Strat then? Are those any good? I mean i've heard that the early 80s Japanese strats are good. even though I still think it's a good deal plus I get to try it before I fully commit. Thanks a lot ClementWave! BTW Watchmen is awesome!

Edit: Hey Clementwave do you mind sending me that link for the Harmony Central page? Thanks

ClementWave
09-19-2008, 05:27 AM
Erm, i wouldn't know personally, i have an '82 squier tele that obliterates modern MIM Fenders, but im un-sure of early 90's if im honest.

Watchmen fan! Good on you, more people need to read it. Did you know theres a new Watchmen book coming out in October, written by one of the co-designers who worked with Alan Moore, it has original sketches and character designs in it! EDIT1: and of course the film!!

Sure, i'll edit it back into this post once i find it again.

beckyjc
09-19-2008, 06:19 AM
Id go for it, its japanese, the quality of craftmanship is probably going to be pretty good. For $100 you cant really loose.

^Actually i think the guy above me is wrong. M+6 didgits is a completely different serial number.

Are you sure its not NC, because I cant find anything starting with MC.

ClementWave
09-19-2008, 06:33 AM
^ shit your right, its MC, im thinking it might be NC actually too

try and get a picture of the serial number if you can

SHAUNYSHAUN1234
09-19-2008, 07:26 AM
you shouldnt really date guitars!! girls are way more fun!!

SkaJon
09-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Yeah sure I'll e mail the guy again, crap now i'm concerned because if it is NC it might be a Chinese Squier. I hope it doesn't suck too bad =(. The dude is also selling a 1998 Squier Tele for 125 USD it looked like an affinity series though, he says it plays as well as his America Deluxe, I take that a a large bit of salt but hell I'll ask him to e mail pictures of both headstocks backs just to make sure. Thanks a bundle to everyone who answered!

SkaJon
09-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Anyone else want to chime in on my issue?

Kenny77
09-19-2008, 03:34 PM
When dating Squier Strats, you really shouldn't judge them by the serial number. There's a lot more to them than that; personality, sense of humour, etc..

:(

I really couldn't help it.

gregs1020
09-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Play it and see what it feels/sounds like, if you like it - grab it. Nice back up for sure.

SkaJon
09-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Play it and see what it feels/sounds like, if you like it - grab it. Nice back up for sure.

You know honestly this what I'm probably going to do, Yeah I have a nice Tele already and for 100 bucks for a second guitar is I think a good idea. I just wanted to hear UG's voice on this matter. Thanks to all that answered and if anyone else has an opinion chime in!