T&C Competition Melodic Guitar Insturmental

PDA

View Full Version : T&C Competition Melodic Guitar Insturmental

icronic
09-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Note: I'm aware there is another competition running. I don't care. I've not the slightest bit of interest in post-hardcore, and to be perfectly honest seeing day after day of metal and it's various sub-genres is getting boring. I'll run this in such a way that it doesn't interfere with the Post Hardcore competition.

That said. What the heck is "Melodic Guitar Instrumental" you ask? That's pretty open to your imagination. The real focus of this competition is to see what kind of guitar based melodies you guys can come up with. Rock, blues, funk, jazz, folk, metal, world, or whatever you can think of. Please check the examples in the next post for ideas.

Anyway, if anyone is interested either post here or PM me and I'll add your name to the list.

DEADLINE: Nov 1st

Judge(s):
icronic
Td_Nights
b101
Its_Rock77

Participants:
Momentosis
MarchOfEternity
Madzää
gonzaw
PinkIsCool
..NEM..
adaeha
DarkTom666
Ryioku
MattAnderson111
Zao_89

RULES & GUIDELINES & JUDGING CRITERIA

Must be lead guitar focused.

Must have at least one solo
***remember, a melody and a solo are not the same thing, it should be obvious which is which***

Must be a minimum of 2:30 in length.

Submissions should be in GP4 or GP5 format, and the zip file you submit should be your UG forum name. Also, please make sure to note if it should be listened to with RSE on or off.

Judging Criteria is as follows;

Melody 30
Just that, how good your melodies are. Are they catchy and memorable?

Creativity 20
Just that, is it creative, or was it something we've heard a million times before? Metal writers beware, unless you do something spectacular, you'll get low marks for this.

Solo 20
Does it stand apart from the melody, is it well phrased, good note choice?

Flow 20
Does it sound and feel like a song, or does it feel like a bunch of random stuff put together?

Playability 10
I've been noticing lately a lot of songs aren't written with playability in mind. I've seen impossible jumps, chords with 12 fret stretches, or shred runs with fret choices that even Steve Vai would trip over. This is me pretty much giving away 10 free points... I hope.

Total 100

icronic
09-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Examples

Brian Kahanek, Gemini (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un2dR14ojpk)
Blues Rock I suppose you'd call this one.

Allman Brothers, Jessica (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3wxL_lPf6I)
Speaks for itself.

Jeff Beck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gO7FI_ogvA)
Don't think it's remotely possible to tab something like this in GP, but still can provide some inspiration.

Andy Mckee, Drifting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4)
If you haven't seen this guys videos you should watch them. Now.

Paco De Ludica (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oyhlad64-s)

Jesse Cooke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgSfs5PKnKI)

Michael Hedges (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnaEZaUMk-s)

Andy Timmons, Electric Gypsy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgELKnnHtkc)
One of my favorite guitar players.

Pat Metheny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApI-zA6suXE)
Jazz guitar at it's finest.

Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lenny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEp2QLicd9Y)

Larry Carlton & Steve Lukather (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCJ1NfULyTA)
A jazz guitarist and a shredder... what?! Well it works!

Joe Satriani, Surfing With the Alien (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjNAeELQ_Z8)
You knew Satch would make an appearance. Here he is.

Steve Vai (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IrWyZ0KZuk)

I could go on forever, but if that doesn't give you guys some inspiration to write something that is not metal related then it is a very sad day for the future of this instrument.

Andy Timmons, Headed for the Ditch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvVMaM9ecUI)
I lied. One more. Chickin' Pickin' isn't normally my thing, but this is the most amazing thing ever. Wish I could play like that.

Does anyone know if I can embed these instead of just linking them?

Td_Nights
09-19-2008, 09:33 PM
I'll be happy to judge, as I enjoy instrumentals and am tired of all the Metal/sub-genres that keep being thrown into this forum.

Momentosis
09-19-2008, 09:48 PM
I want in.

Me participant.

Its_Rock77
09-19-2008, 11:20 PM
give me some time to think about this one. obviously PH is my first priority, but this seems interesting.

although the formal structure and organization of this comp intimidates me. :p:

icronic
09-19-2008, 11:36 PM
give me some time to think about this one. obviously PH is my first priority, but this seems interesting.

although the formal structure and organization of this comp intimidates me. :p:

I'll probably give about 2 weeks leeway once the PH comp is done. But it really depends on how many people plan on participating in both.

Cmon, the structure isn't that intimidating :P Most of the rules 90% of the people would have done without me ever saying anything to begin with, and half of it is simply defining the actual style of the competition, since it's not genre specific :)

As for the judging, my reasoning is pretty simple. I remember when I did the Rock competition judging the scores really felt random to me. Frequently I found myself adjusting scores when I came across a new song that was better than the others and I didn't really like doing that. I figured having a method to scoring would really make the whole process more fair.

MarchOfEternity
09-20-2008, 05:47 AM
I'm in as participant. Seems fun :D .

Madzää
09-20-2008, 06:37 AM
I´m in as a participant :)

b101
09-20-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm in - most of my stuff is more instrument based anyway so shouldn't be too much new!

icronic
09-22-2008, 09:16 PM
The list has been updated, and I figure I'd move this topic back up the list.

On a side note that's completely unrelated. My girl completely lost her mind and bought me a $2000 Gretsch Duo Jet for my birthday. The thing has the most incredible clean sound I've ever heard. Pure bliss.

Td_Nights
09-26-2008, 05:53 PM
The list has been updated, and I figure I'd move this topic back up the list.

On a side note that's completely unrelated. My girl completely lost her mind and bought me a $2000 Gretsch Duo Jet for my birthday. The thing has the most incredible clean sound I've ever heard. Pure bliss.
:eek:

Ailes
09-27-2008, 06:02 AM
Im in... as an interested bystander :P
Seriously though, good guitar instrumentals are one of my favorite thing to listen to, and I've seen some really good composers of that here, so I anticipate some hopefully good output. Also props for the clean and concise effort -Op!

<loldeicidenerd
09-27-2008, 09:07 AM
im terrible at writing solos =*(, ill keep an eye on this thread tho

gonzaw
09-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Not metal?

I'm in! (participant)

Zao_89
09-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Ill give it a shot. Wish I could get some definate deadlines for the comps though.

gonzaw
09-27-2008, 09:46 PM
I don't know what to do though :(
I will wait till someone posts an entry to see how to do it...

We can still have bass and drums right?

icronic
09-28-2008, 11:35 AM
I don't know what to do though :(
I will wait till someone posts an entry to see how to do it...

We can still have bass and drums right?

Of course you can, and you probably should :)

Those youtube links should provide more than enough examples, or just check out any of the songs I've done (linked in my sig) to see kind of what I"m talking about.

icronic
09-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Ill give it a shot. Wish I could get some definate deadlines for the comps though.

1-2 weeks after the Post Hardcore deadline, which I'm hoping they'll announce sometime soon.

MarchOfEternity
09-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Mmmmm, would the quality of the "other" instruments (bass, drums, keys, whatnot) affect our score? My rhythm section's kinda lacking at the moment :( .

PinkIsCool
09-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Count me in.

icronic
09-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Mmmmm, would the quality of the "other" instruments (bass, drums, keys, whatnot) affect our score? My rhythm section's kinda lacking at the moment :( .

I suppose it depends on what you mean by lacking.

Unless you're doing an acoustic piece then the other instruments should be there. Do they have to be fancy and special? No.

Lets take Joe Satriani as an example. If you listen to the rhythm guitars, drums, bass in most of his songs and you'll notice it's all dead simple. The drumming is about as stock rock as you can get, the bass is either playing the the rhythm guitar riff or the root note of whatever chord he's playing. The rhythm guitar is generally playing a simple riff, or just real basic chord stuff. In the end all the rhythm section is doing is setting up the foundation for the melody.

As far as judging goes? Rhythm will have an effect on your overall score, but more in the way of how it supports the melody, and how it makes the song flow. While I may give out higher scores for something a little more creative and inventive I won't give marks against anyone for having something dead simple so long as it's supporting the melody.

Again, if there's any confusion I strongly urge everyone to check out at least a couple of the youtube links I posted.

MarchOfEternity
09-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Those youtube links should provide more than enough examples, or just check out any of the songs I've done (linked in my sig) to see kind of what I"m talking about.

:eek: Is that some inconspicuous advertisement to your songs I see there? :p:

Btw, we need deadline, I think. I can't work without a definite deadline! Damn you procrastination tendencies! lol

What I mean by lacking is that, well, they suck :( . They kinda detract from the whole melody and stuff, and is just there as a placeholder. I'm happy with the melody itself, but the backing is crap. So I'm hoping you wouldn't mind those and just focus on the lead guitar lol.

Oh, and bump :D .

talentfree
10-02-2008, 12:02 PM
could it also be something like this?
it's not like any of your examples but it's instrumental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RdeUPj_A1c

i'd do something like that.
count me in

icronic
10-02-2008, 12:47 PM
could it also be something like this?
it's not like any of your examples but it's instrumental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RdeUPj_A1c

i'd do something like that.
count me in

Awesome song. Yes you can absolutely do something like that.

gonzaw
10-02-2008, 11:42 PM
I am doing an E phrigian acoustic/metal kind of thing...
I hope it still counts as original :(

Its_Rock77
10-02-2008, 11:55 PM
:haha I actually laughed out loud at that comment.

gonzaw
10-03-2008, 12:03 AM
:p:

Well, it lacks even the slightiest piece of shred, yet has some arab fast intro, and a metal middle section with solo, and then I am stuck there :(

..NEM..
10-05-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm in, if the deadline isn't too soon.

Portuguese_boy
10-05-2008, 10:25 AM
I'll enter, I already posted a song on here, but I don't know if it can enter, it has some pretty melodic guitar parts, especially towards the end.

The thread is called Orchestral/shred/melodic/winter metal (song still untitled) have a listen and see if it's good enough for this contest.

icronic
10-05-2008, 12:40 PM
I'll enter, I already posted a song on here, but I don't know if it can enter, it has some pretty melodic guitar parts, especially towards the end.

The thread is called Orchestral/shred/melodic/winter metal (song still untitled) have a listen and see if it's good enough for this contest.

Just to be fair to everyone it's got to be a new song and not something you've previously posted.

Anyway, the deadline is going to be Nov 1st. That should give ample time to get thing's finished up. I'll move the date forwards if everyone has their submissions in before that though.

adaeha
10-05-2008, 12:46 PM
hmmmz, my post appears to have been deleted, but I'm on the list anyway, woo. Nov 1st is enough for me, as I've already started anywayz, but not sure what sound to go for yet O_o (either kinda dark/atmospheric thing or just a truly epic thing :P)

Portuguese_boy
10-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Just to be fair to everyone it's got to be a new song and not something you've previously posted.

Anyway, the deadline is going to be Nov 1st. That should give ample time to get thing's finished up. I'll move the date forwards if everyone has their submissions in before that though.

It is new, I posted it yesterday at night.

adaeha
10-05-2008, 01:37 PM

Apparently thats not new enough O_o

icronic
10-05-2008, 01:53 PM

By new I mean something that hasn't been posted on here, and is pretty much written for the express purpose of this competition.

Other than that, the song you posted isn't really suited for this competition. I mean no offense in saying this, because it really is a good song, but it's the exact type of song I'm trying very hard to avoid, and as such would score very low.

Again, you want to know what I'm looking for, check the examples. I can't say that enough.

While I won't say that a metal piece is unwelcome here, I will say that you're going to have to do something pretty damn special if that's what you're going to do. These boards are already saturated with Metal, and I'll go as far as to say about 90% of the music posted here fits into one of Metals many categories. I've gotten rather bored of doing C4C, because as good as many of the songs posted are, they're all starting to blend together, especially since most metal music lacks a real leading melody or theme other than the standard "Dark and Angry" feel. That and everytime I heard a song with primarily consists of constant 16th note kick drum shots, I feel the overwhelming urge to hunt down and kill the author of said song :)

gonzaw
10-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Well, my song doesn't have 16th note kick drums if that makes you spare my life
Only 1 section of it is metal/hard, and I am at the beginning, I will surely make it into a whole flamenco stylish song (I am sure it won't be flamenco cause I know shit about flamenco)....

icronic
10-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Well, my song doesn't have 16th note kick drums if that makes you spare my life
Only 1 section of it is metal/hard, and I am at the beginning, I will surely make it into a whole flamenco stylish song (I am sure it won't be flamenco cause I know shit about flamenco)....

Mr, the competitions not metal?! I'm in! :)

Besides, I won't need to hunt you down to kill you. The uptight Flamenco dudes will do it for me, for even mentioning their beloved music and tainting it in unimaginable ways. :) (If you've ever had a conversation with anyone serious about the style you'll know exactly what I mean)

Hah, sorry I'm not picking on you I swear. Anyway like I said, Metal/Metalish Parts aren't unwelcome, so long as you at least try to do something to break free of the box most songs in this forum are in, and a Flamenco Metalish type song sounds like it could be cool. Kind of like Three... Without the shitty singer.

gonzaw
10-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Mr, the competitions not metal?! I'm in! :)

Besides, I won't need to hunt you down to kill you. The uptight Flamenco dudes will do it for me, for even mentioning their beloved music and tainting it in unimaginable ways. :) (If you've ever had a conversation with anyone serious about the style you'll know exactly what I mean)

Hah, sorry I'm not picking on you I swear. Anyway like I said, Metal/Metalish Parts aren't unwelcome, so long as you at least try to do something to break free of the box most songs in this forum are in, and a Flamenco Metalish type song sounds like it could be cool. Kind of like Three... Without the shitty singer.

It is that I started composing it just for fun, and because I am lazy, I thought I would use it for this one. It is was the first time I used phrigian (I made a locrian one recentrly, so what the hell not a phrigian?), so I made a little 16 bar thing, but then added a little metal (I suppose) thing, because I didn't know what the hell to do with it next (surprisingly, it is maybe the only metal I ever composed, just listen to my melodic metal entry, it is some weird stuff).

Of course it is not flamenco, but I mean I am going for that fingerpicking acoustic style..

AngrySockMonkey
10-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Count me in.. Post Hardcore is not my thing :(.

.. Prepare yourselves for a Satanic Piece of Extreme Blasphemous Proportions that will Send you into an Abyssal State of Infinite Hate and Bloodlust :devil:

DarkTom666
10-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Im in! And I'm back at writing some stuff.
:)

MarchOfEternity
10-06-2008, 04:10 AM
1st of Nov, eh? Isn't that a bit too long? I'm afraid my procrastination tendencies might get in the way, 'cause of such a long deadline :( . Anyway, I'm about 75% done with mine, so whatever. And I can guarantee you that it isn't metal... and it's even kinda poppy! :eek:

Count me in.. Post Hardcore is not my thing :(.

.. Prepare yourselves for a Satanic Piece of Extreme Blasphemous Proportions that will Send you into an Abyssal State of Infinite Hate and Bloodlust :devil:

Oh, you mean low score?

Just kidding :p:

icronic
10-06-2008, 10:33 AM
1st of Nov, eh? Isn't that a bit too long? I'm afraid my procrastination tendencies might get in the way, 'cause of such a long deadline :( . Anyway, I'm about 75% done with mine, so whatever. And I can guarantee you that it isn't metal... and it's even kinda poppy! :eek:

Yeah, I thought about that, and I've moved it back to the 20th, which still should be way more than enough time. If there are any complaints I'll move it back. I just wanted to give ample time for those participating in the post hardcore competition as well.

AngrySockMonkey
10-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Oh, you mean low score?

Just kidding :p:

:(

icronic
10-06-2008, 11:39 PM

Yeah. You're welcome to take part in this, but I've heard your stuff before, and if you want any kind of decent score you're going to have to make a pretty huge departure from your normal writing style. As interesting as a Satanic Piece of Extreme Blasphemous Proportions that will Send you into an Abyssal State of Infinite Hate and Bloodlust sounds, I'm not entirely sure it sounds very melodic... Or lead guitar based even.

Ryioku
10-07-2008, 03:22 AM
I will participate... in theese

icronic
10-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Anyone else up for judging? I'd like to have at least one more.

icronic
10-13-2008, 01:33 PM
So how is everyone coming along on this?

adaeha
10-15-2008, 02:35 AM
I haven't really even started :( I've been so busy with college and stuff I haven't had time, plus I have yet to find inspiration :(

Regression
10-15-2008, 03:05 AM
Must we be able to be able to play it ourselves?

I might give this a try just because I need something to procrastinate from school work, but I won't be able to write anything very wow if I have to be able to play it. I'm not exactly the fastest guitarist. (I know speed isn't everything, but I have an idea in mind which would involve a bit of fast stuff)

icronic
10-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Must we be able to be able to play it ourselves?

I might give this a try just because I need something to procrastinate from school work, but I won't be able to write anything very wow if I have to be able to play it. I'm not exactly the fastest guitarist. (I know speed isn't everything, but I have an idea in mind which would involve a bit of fast stuff)

Nope, you don't have to be able to play it yourself.

As far as playability goes, I just want people to be avoiding those impossible stretches and jumps that I sometimes see happening.

gonzaw
10-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Nope, you don't have to be able to play it yourself.

As far as playability goes, I just want people to be avoiding those impossible stretches and jumps that I sometimes see happening.

But what if we make very hard stretches and we can play them?

DarkTom666
10-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Imma have to get out of this one :(

Too much work with school.

icronic
10-16-2008, 12:48 AM
But what if we make very hard stretches and we can play them?

You'll have to trust my judgment, but don't worry about it too much, I have some pretty long fingers, so I know the difference between a hard stretch and an impossible one.

Madzää
10-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Ok, I will be the first to post my submission:

Here it is, non-metal, as usual.

FOR THE JUDGES: Please listen to both Versions (the gp5 for RSE and the Gp4 for midi), because I mixed them a bit different because the epilogue sounds better in the midi version than in the RSE one.

gonzaw
10-16-2008, 11:12 AM
You'll have to trust my judgment, but don't worry about it too much, I have some pretty long fingers, so I know the difference between a hard stretch and an impossible one.

I don't do hard stretches (at least in acoustic guitar, I don't even try to play the electric stuff I write), but I am doing pretty much lots of 16th triplets, but if I can play them they shouldn't be too hard..

EDIT:Oh, and another question...

How many bars (at 120 bpm) should the piece have as minimum?
I kind of finished it at 60 (chaged to Am), but I could still continue the piece in Am if the length is too low...

icronic
10-16-2008, 12:51 PM
EDIT:Oh, and another question...

How many bars (at 120 bpm) should the piece have as minimum?
I kind of finished it at 60 (chaged to Am), but I could still continue the piece in Am if the length is too low...

60 bars x 4 beats = 240 beats @ 120bpm = 2 minutes.

Another 10-20 bars wouldn't hurt, but I'm willing to be flexible here. If you can add them without resorting to filler or compromising the song, then please do, if you can't then submit it as is and I won't hold the lack of 30 seconds against you :)

talentfree
10-16-2008, 01:19 PM
i know, the solo guitars too quite. i dont know how to make it more louder =/
the song's not a killer song but it's quite ok i think, despite all the bad transitions.

yeah.. here you go.
it's gp5, gp4 and midi.

gonzaw
10-16-2008, 01:58 PM
60 bars x 4 beats = 240 beats @ 120bpm = 2 minutes.

Another 10-20 bars wouldn't hurt, but I'm willing to be flexible here. If you can add them without resorting to filler or compromising the song, then please do, if you can't then submit it as is and I won't hold the lack of 30 seconds against you :)

Yeah, I'll make an outro solo perhaps (I only made one)....

I am sure I will get a 0 in flow though, it doesn't flow that much

EDIT:I made an Am section and some slow outro solo there

I know it doesn't flow that much, I mean, in a 2 minute song I have ballad, metal and arab :p:

EDIT2:I liked the last part of the solo so I made the song fade away a little bit after that...

Its_Rock77
10-16-2008, 08:04 PM
holy crap! I haven't been paying attention cause I thought the deadline was the 1st. :(

I won't be able to do this in 4 days....:sad:

AngrySockMonkey
10-16-2008, 08:10 PM
holy crap! I haven't been paying attention cause I thought the deadline was the 1st. :(

Lol same. I'll start tomorrow xD, I do my best work last minute anyways haha.

MattAnderson111
10-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Ill be in as a participant/

icronic
10-16-2008, 08:30 PM

I really figured a month shoulda been more than enough for everyone. But due to the amount of people who seem to be having issues getting it done on time, I'm willing to drop the date back to the 1st if it'll help out, and there are no objections.

gonzaw
10-17-2008, 01:17 PM
So the judging starts on Monday?

Are there only 2 judges?

EDIT:I have an idea...

Maybe when all these competitions are over (well, I don't know if they will), we can post all the entries from each person in a thread (or various) and make a competition but instead of genre we could make it like which one has the best solo, or which one is the best from each person, etc...

MarchOfEternity
10-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Meh, I'm fine with the 1st as deadline... I'm done with mine anyway, but I still wanna revise mine... Plus it'll be nice to see more competition. The more the merrier (and more hassle for the judges)! :p:

Madzää
10-19-2008, 05:18 AM
Ok, I´ve just noticed that there´s something wrong with the .midi file in my submission :(... So just listen to the gp5 and gp4 as I stated before.

b101
10-19-2008, 06:56 AM
sorry guys i won't be able to do this one - i'll judge though if you still want more?

icronic
10-19-2008, 12:36 PM
sorry guys i won't be able to do this one - i'll judge though if you still want more?

Yeah still need more judges.

Deadline is pushed back to Nov 1st, because as of now there have only been 3/13 which doesn't make for much of a competition.

Zao_89
10-19-2008, 04:17 PM
I thought I was in this already, but apparently I'm not. I posted on the first page though...

icronic
10-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I thought I was in this already, but apparently I'm not. I posted on the first page though...

Sorry, must have missed your post, but if you still want in, you're in :)

Zao_89
10-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Might as well post my song since I'm done anyways.

bbenman
10-19-2008, 07:23 PM
totally joining

bbenman
10-19-2008, 07:34 PM
nm im not

Quicksand15
10-20-2008, 02:11 PM
why does it have to contain a solo?
i mean, andy mckee's "drifting" doesn't contain a solo and it would be just totally out of place...
stange rules...i mean often a solo just doesn't fit...

icronic
10-20-2008, 02:53 PM
why does it have to contain a solo?
i mean, andy mckee's "drifting" doesn't contain a solo and it would be just totally out of place...
stange rules...i mean often a solo just doesn't fit...

That song is probably the single exception to the rule. The rest of the stuff I posted all has clearly defined solos of some kind.

That said, aside from doing something like Andy Mckee does (which isn't exactly possible in GP anyway) I can't think of any real style that I couldn't find a way to fit a solo into. But really I think that how a solo fits depends on how you approach it. I mean obviously if you try to do some super shred solo during a soft acoustic piece then it simply won't work, but otherwise I can't really see there being a problem?

Quicksand15
10-20-2008, 03:25 PM
i mean do i have any chance with a song without a solo? ;)

gonzaw
10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Just a question...
Does my song have enough "melodies"?
Is the first part of my song considered melody or solo?

I don't want to be disqualified :(

icronic
10-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Just a question...
Does my song have enough "melodies"?
Is the first part of my song considered melody or solo?

I don't want to be disqualified :(

You've nothing to worry about.

And the first part, in my eyes is both melody and solo. As I hear it, the rhythm acoustic is basically setting up the theme/melody which is carried on throughout the song, while the lead acoustic is soloing over it.

gonzaw
10-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Oh thanks...

I thought it had to have those electric guitar melodies that repeat on top of a progression or something like that (like most of the videos you posted, or the ones I listene to)

icronic
10-20-2008, 04:12 PM
i mean do i have any chance with a song without a solo? ;)

Yes, I'm willing to make an exception if you really can't work something in.

I'll just disperse the points I would otherwise give for a good solo into melody and flow. However, in the interest of fairness I will be slightly harsher with my judgment in those categories in the case of your song.

So to answer you're question, yes you have as good chance as anyone else.

Quicksand15
10-20-2008, 04:27 PM
perfect! thank you, icronic!
so now im in, too!

i hope i can finish 'till november 1st...

Its_Rock77
10-21-2008, 11:19 PM
well, just got my computer back. :/ the virus returned and we had to reload the operating system :mad:

so I'm indecisive as of now. I think I'm gonna focus on catching up some of my songs since we backed up our files only about 2 weeks ago.

so basically, I'm gonna have to be out. even though there are 10 days left, I don't have time with previous engagements. sorry guys. :(

Zao_89
10-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Bumpity bump bump. I just realized the title says Insturmental lol

icronic
10-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Bumpity bump bump. I just realized the title says Insturmental lol

Every single time I type instrument I spell it wrong the first time, even though I know beforehand that I'm going to spell it wrong. Of course, I fail to catch the misspelling the one single time I can't edit and fix it. Damn you Murphy, damn you and your stupid laws!

Its_Rock77; I know you've been judging a lot lately, but if you can't get a song in do you think you could judge instead?

Its_Rock77
10-23-2008, 07:43 PM
actually, yeah. I'd love to. :cheers:

BC_Warlock
10-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Hope your good at fingerstyle type acoustic stuff =]

Kay slight problem. It wont allow me to upload the proper version with RSE. OR upload a Midi, any help?

adaeha
10-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Finished it at last!

Its also the first instrumental that I wrote, its pretty simple, and has a dodgy middle section thing, but I like it :p:

EDIT : Changed name of ZIP File O_o

Quicksand15
10-27-2008, 02:47 PM
@BC_Warlock: you have to put them into a .zip-file, then it should work!

Quicksand15
10-27-2008, 05:18 PM
please forget what i posted above, here is my song for the competition!

BC_Warlock
10-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Fingerstyle type acoustic thing. No solo, but that would pretty much mess this piece up. Theres a bit of a breakdown thing though =]

Play with RSE if you can please.

BC_Warlock
10-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Ok, I will be the first to post my submission:

Here it is, non-metal, as usual.

FOR THE JUDGES: Please listen to both Versions (the gp5 for RSE and the Gp4 for midi), because I mixed them a bit different because the epilogue sounds better in the midi version than in the RSE one.

If i was a judge, that piece would get my vote. Pretty dam epic.

Tortiss
10-28-2008, 10:31 PM
too late too join?

Its_Rock77
10-29-2008, 12:45 AM
well you've got 3 days.....

..NEM..
10-29-2008, 01:00 PM
I want to pull out, don't have enough free time right now.

gonzaw
10-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Is the judging going to be "qualifications" as in the post-harcore comp or scores like all other comps?

icronic
10-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Just a reminder that midnight tomorrow is the cutoff for submissions. (or if you're looking to push your luck I'll allow anything that's in before I'm up on Sunday). I should have my scores posted by Sunday evening.

Is the judging going to be "qualifications" as in the post-harcore comp or scores like all other comps?

Qualifications?

Since I've no idea what that means exactly I'm going to have to go with no on that one :)

-Judges score /100
-add all judges scores
-people with highest scores win

Easy enough right?

gonzaw
10-31-2008, 05:28 PM
Just a reminder that midnight tomorrow is the cutoff for submissions. (or if you're looking to push your luck I'll allow anything that's in before I'm up on Sunday). I should have my scores posted by Sunday evening.

Qualifications?

Since I've no idea what that means exactly I'm going to have to go with no on that one :)

-Judges score /100
-add all judges scores
-people with highest scores win

Easy enough right?

You know, like this:

Qualifications:

P1-5 points
P2-4 points
P3-3 points
P4-2 points
P5-1 point

Scores:

P1-10/10
P2-8/10
P3-7/10
P4-6/10
P5-5/10

IN each of those two you sum the scores....

icronic
10-31-2008, 05:40 PM
You know, like this:

Ah kind of like they do for racing then?

Hadn't really considered it, it kind of makes sense in a way, but for right now I think we'll just combine judges scores for now.

gonzaw
10-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Ah kind of like they do for racing then?

Hadn't really considered it, it kind of makes sense in a way, but for right now I think we'll just combine judges scores for now.

But that's what judges have been doing in the post-hardcore comp

Or at least that's what it seems...

icronic
10-31-2008, 06:59 PM
...Or at least that's what it seems...

Yeah, I read through that thread, the judging thing seems kinda messed up, one guy was giving scores out of 12 one out of 10, one out of 20, plus you've got guys judging who've entered songs, and nobody seems to know what's going on.

I'm content with the way I've got it right now. :)

MarchOfEternity
10-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Holy crap, I almost forgot about this one :p: . I thought I've submitted mine already lol.

Anyway, here's mine. I tried using something I'd like to call 'dynamic theme', in that the song has a concise theme in the form of atmosphere, but the lead itself is sort of 'moving'. I hope judges wouldn't mind the lack of a real 'main melody' :D .

If possible, please listen to the GP5 with RSE on.

gonzaw
10-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Now that I listened to all the songs this comp is oging to be hard, all of them are very good...

At least I have fate on my side, I got 3rd place in the Rock comp, and 2nd place at the metal comp, so that means I'm going for 1st in this one!!!

Wait, we did the metal one first, so 2nd in the metal, 3rd in the rock one, and 4th on this one :sad:

Zao_89
11-02-2008, 06:17 PM
You guys can start judging now :p:

icronic
11-02-2008, 09:08 PM
You guys can start judging now :p:

Patience grasshopper.

I'm working on it, but I'm not moving too fast right now I'm running off 5 hours sleep over the last 3 days. :)

I'll have it done later tonight or tomorrow at some point.

Quicksand15
11-02-2008, 09:53 PM
take your time, no need to rush it ;)

Its_Rock77
11-03-2008, 01:48 AM
sometime in the next couple of days for me. it'll be a busy week, so I'll do it little by little. :)

MarchOfEternity
11-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Judges, take your time ;) . We don't want a rushed judging, now, do we?

Mmm, after finished listening to everyone's, I realized that mine's the only 'happy' one... I feel singled-out now :( .

b101
11-03-2008, 08:49 AM
listened through a few of these and this might be fairly difficult to judge! some really good efforts guys, will have them up in the next few days (essays and that for uni sadly have to come first)

icronic
11-03-2008, 04:29 PM
I now realize I was slightly optimistic about how quickly I could get this done. I'm about half way through my initial scoring, but the sheer depth of most of these songs requires I re-listen and revise my reviews multiple times.

So on the downside it'll take a little longer to find out who won. On the upside, I have to say, the quality of these songs (at least in my opinion) is higher than any other recent contest. This stuff is just fantastic, so congratulations to everyone who has made a submission.

gonzaw: Was yours supposed to be in RSE? I vaguely remember it being RSE the first time I listened, now it's just midi. Also, I'm curious if you can actually play those acoustic parts you wrote, namely things like bar 4 on the rhythm acoustic, and also the lead acoustic outro. It seems really tough to hold those sustained notes while playing the melodies behind them.

gonzaw
11-05-2008, 03:01 PM
I now realize I was slightly optimistic about how quickly I could get this done. I'm about half way through my initial scoring, but the sheer depth of most of these songs requires I re-listen and revise my reviews multiple times.

So on the downside it'll take a little longer to find out who won. On the upside, I have to say, the quality of these songs (at least in my opinion) is higher than any other recent contest. This stuff is just fantastic, so congratulations to everyone who has made a submission.

gonzaw: Was yours supposed to be in RSE? I vaguely remember it being RSE the first time I listened, now it's just midi. Also, I'm curious if you can actually play those acoustic parts you wrote, namely things like bar 4 on the rhythm acoustic, and also the lead acoustic outro. It seems really tough to hold those sustained notes while playing the melodies behind them.

I don't have RSE (uninstalled it, I have few space disk :( ) so I guess it isn't supposed to be in RSE, but if it sounds better listen it with RSE (I don't know what judges use to crit anyways, if midi or RSE)

I can play the rhythm part at the beginning, a little slow but I am still practising..

The thing is that I tabbed it wrong at guitar pro, instead of it being

E-1
B-1
G-
D-
A-5
E-4

It should be

E-
B-6
G-5
D-
A-5
E-4

It would be easier, but not that much...

What do you mean by outro acoustic? The thing in Am?
I didn't try it yet, but it would be easier to just play the parts that are in the B string on the G one instead, it would make holding that G# easier (you know, barring the 3rd fret)

EDIT:So, when are the judges going to post their scores ? :p:

Its_Rock77
11-05-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm really sorry guys, but this will take a lot longer than expected.

I'm in the last week of my school's musical rehearsals and it's getting hectic. so I'm short on time and I can't really ever sit down long enough to score some songs.

but I promise I will get them in ASAP. bare (bear?) with me. :peace:

MarchOfEternity
11-06-2008, 07:49 AM
That's alright, Josh. Take all the time you need; the last thing we need is a rushed judgment, whilst on the other hand the thing we need is Rush full stop :p:

Ah, music rehearsal; now that's a busy one! But you know what sucks even more than the hectic-ness and business of it? That's when you've gave the preparation your all, and had sacrificed a lot of time and effort to ensure that it would be a perfect performance, only to have a nasty fever the day before the event, which caused you to miss the performance!

True story, btw. Happened to me just last week :mad: . **** YOU PYREXIA!

icronic
11-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Just got done judging all the songs off of first impression and I've got to say the scores turned out very very close. I still want run through all the songs at least once more and try to separate the scores a little bit more than they are currently.

Been a crazy busy week though, I've had gigs every weekend since the second week of october, and will continue until just after new years, which means the constant rehersal and practice of about 100-120 songs (we play about 40-50 a night, and like the vary things based on the audience) plus we've been recording some really rough demos of a bunch of our originals. Finally my gf has spent the last couple days here, which has pretty much limited my computer time to the mornings when she's still sleeping :)

Enough excuses though.

I was thinking that after we get this done, we should scour the other competition threads and release a pack of the top 3 songs from all the competitions in the last year or so.

gonzaw
11-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Just got done judging all the songs off of first impression and I've got to say the scores turned out very very close. I still want run through all the songs at least once more and try to separate the scores a little bit more than they are currently.

Been a crazy busy week though, I've had gigs every weekend since the second week of october, and will continue until just after new years, which means the constant rehersal and practice of about 100-120 songs (we play about 40-50 a night, and like the vary things based on the audience) plus we've been recording some really rough demos of a bunch of our originals. Finally my gf has spent the last couple days here, which has pretty much limited my computer time to the mornings when she's still sleeping :)

Enough excuses though.

I was thinking that after we get this done, we should scour the other competition threads and release a pack of the top 3 songs from all the competitions in the last year or so.

YOu mean, the songs from people that were in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place right ;) ? (cause in the melodic one I tied at 3rd )

:D

;)

So, ehmmm, how does a gig feel like?
I've never done one :(

icronic
11-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah, a tie for third is still top 3 :)

Overall gigging is great, just being able to get up on stage and do something you love is great, and it's even better when the audience is into it.

The best shows are actually usually the one I do with my dads band, it ends up being an older crowd (40+) but the dance floor is always packed with people who're having a blast, although we tend to wear them out after 4 sets of classic rock/funk rock stuff. Good pay too.

On the downside the younger crowds are less fun, they don't really seem to like dancing much and don't make too much noise ever, and of course you get the annoying bastards who complain your too loud, or won't play a song they want or whatever. Tearing down equipment at 3am sucks too, especially since we bring all our own stuff. House PAs/Speakers tend to suck... badly.

gonzaw
11-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Wow sounds great..

Yay my songs are in :D

Its_Rock77
11-07-2008, 12:33 AM
That's alright, Josh. Take all the time you need; the last thing we need is a rushed judgment, whilst on the other hand the thing we need is Rush full stop :p:

Ah, music rehearsal; now that's a busy one! But you know what sucks even more than the hectic-ness and business of it? That's when you've gave the preparation your all, and had sacrificed a lot of time and effort to ensure that it would be a perfect performance, only to have a nasty fever the day before the event, which caused you to miss the performance!

True story, btw. Happened to me just last week :mad: . **** YOU PYREXIA!

holy crap dude. that absolutely sucks. :( how'd the show turn out?
I don't know if I could possibly miss mine though. If I was on my deathbed, I'd probably attempt to stick it out and then die on stage. :p:

gonzaw
11-07-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't know if I could possibly miss mine though. If I was on my deathbed, I'd probably attempt to stick it out and then die on stage. :p:

I swear to God that when I first started reading I thought you said his song was absolute crap :confused:

MarchOfEternity
11-07-2008, 07:01 PM
I swear to God that when I first started reading I thought you said his song was absolute crap :confused:

But was it? :confused:

gonzaw
11-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Your was the one with ska bits right?

No it wasn't :p:
It was great...

All of the pieces are great in fact...

I dunno why the judges are taking so much time, it's been a week by now, but well, better not hurry them :p:

MarchOfEternity
11-08-2008, 11:47 PM
I think someone oughta remind Td_Night. I don't know, I got this feeling that he forgot he's supposed to judge, since he haven't posted in this thread except on the first page...

It was an ensemble, so it was still okay, as there were quite many others playing. Though I was the only one playing in the lower-pitch register (I play bass), so there were only mid and high pitch playing at the performance :( . But it was alright, as we had a few teachers playing (though the ****ing sound system failed when one of 'em were soloing :p: ) and they know what they're doing. And there's always next time for me :p: .

icronic
11-09-2008, 08:22 PM
The results are in finally!

I had a ton of fun listening to these songs, and absolutely no fun judging them. Even the lowest rated song here is in my opinion a damn good song worth being proud of. In the last competition I judged there were many songs that were clearly bad, which made my life a lot easier, but in this one there wasn't a single song I didn't enjoy. As such the score doesn't really reflect the absolute quality of the song, but simply how it compares to the rest of the songs posted.

I've gone through each song twice, and the top 4 songs 5 times. Each time the top 4 songs scored within 4 points of each other.

Anyway, there is a tie for second and a tie for fifth. This was totally unintentional, in fact I didn't even add up the total scores until just prior to posting.

Anyway results:

talentfree

Melody 17/30
The initial melody that you start off with is fantastic, unfortunately is never really makes a reappearance in the song. Also in the last half of the song is nearly impossible to hear.

Creativity 14/20
Nice haunting arpeggios, and a strong mood, but the heavy section in the middle didn't really stand out in any way.

Solo 13/20
Some really great ideas and licks, but I found that it was really blocky, and the excessive use of single note thrashing didn't do much for me.

Flow 14/20
The entrance and exit of the heavy section were somewhat awkward sounding, the rest was fine though.

Playability 10/10

68/100

Adaeha

Melody 20/30
While there are some moments of absolute brilliance, there were many times I found that I just didn't like your note choice. I found that at some points it also just moved too slow to really stick in mind.

Creativity 17/20
Massive and epic sounding to me. The clean guitar parts were really cool, all the harmonized parts were cool. The rhythmic thing you did with the whole note triplets really gave the whole thing a large feeling.

Solo 12/20
Cool phrasing, and for the most part the note choice was good, but there were a few bad notes that threw me, and again at times it seemed to drag a little.

Flow 15/20
One transition about half way through the song really bothered me, otherwise, everything flowed together quite smoothly.

Playability 10/10

74/100

BC_Warlock

Melody 25/40
Creativity 25/30
Flow 14/20
Playability 10/10

It really pains me to have to review this one. It's a fantastic piece of music, and I'm willing to bet it would make a great recording. Many if your ideas are really strong, and the tapped notes are a really nice touch. The only real negative about this song is that I felt the changes in tempo disrupted the flow of the song.

In the end, I had to artificially lower the scores on this one, based on all the other songs in this competition. I spent a long time trying to figure out how to handle this one, and that was the best solution. In the end the score really doesn't reflect on how good or bad this song is, more how this song is in relation to others in the competition.

74/100

Zao_89

Melody 23/30
It was tough to rate this one. I found that the melody was distinctly lacking in the first portion of the song. There was one strong melody played by the dubbed guitar, and then no strong melody until part 5 came. I'm not suggesting that the first part of the song is bad, I just thought there were too many notes for a clear melody to present itself, and while the arpeggio patterns you were playing were cool, they were also predictable.

Past part 5 I found the melodies incredibly strong, and I loved how you kept building onto what you had. The little double stop thing you used to end both solos and the outro of the song was awesome. So awesome in fact that I'm somewhat disappointed that it wasn't used more often in the song.

Creativity 19/20
I love that you somehow managed to have so many seperate components to this song, each managing to feel like a part of a bigger picture, as opposed to 7 seperate songs

Solo 17/20
While I thought the phrasing may have been a little bland, you more than make up for it with really strong note choice and resolution.

Flow 13/20
The one area that I thought could use improvement. Many of the transitions had a really forced feel to them. Or like the transition that should have been there wasn't, and instead skipped it entirely and simply started the next section.. It's kind of like driving a standard, and not using the clutch when shifting gears.

Playability 10/10

82/100

Madzää

Melody 29/30
That opening melody is just brilliant. Really strong note choices throughout the entire peice. The whole thing just had a really cool feel and was overall really memorable.

Creativity 18/20
Along with what I've already said, you made great use all all the instruments. The addition of an echo track was subtle and cool. Good use of the synth, and good use of RSE in general.

Solo 17/20
Despite the wacky phrasing, you had great note choice, some very cool licks and ending on the massive sweep apreggio was great

Flow 17/20
For the most part it was good, but there were times were it felt like one instrument was lagging a bit. There were times were it almost felt like little hiccups or something in the flow. Not a huge deal, but it did throw me a bit.

Playability 10/10

91/100

gonzaw

Melody 28/30
Both acoustic sections were amazing in every way. I also really liked that you somehow managed to convey a melody between both the rhythm guitar and the bass without actually using a lead guitar. It wasn't quite what I had in mind for the competition, but it ended up working incredibly well anyway.

Creativity 18/20
I was gleefully anticipating crushing your ego, when you first said you were doing a metalish song in E Phrygian. Oh boy, how original... How creative... Unfortunately, you shattered my expectations and now I'll just have to find someone elses ego to crush.

Solo 19/20
Quite possibly the best solos I've heard in these forums. The only thing that keeps it from being a perfect 20 is that last note in the last solo cuts out in a very noticable and not very smooth way.

Flow 18/20
I'm amazed at how well this actually worked. My only beef with the flow is that section acoustic section has a few slightly rough moments in it.

Playability 9/10
There are a couple parts in the acoustic sections that seem almost impossible to play. :)

92/100

MarchOfEternity

Melody 26/30
Sounds like the theme music for a superhero or something. Was great, loved how you kept expanding on the same thing, it worked out really well. My only beef is occasionally weird notes sneaking in, and there were times your phrasing was really strange, almost like it was falling behind the rhythm or something.

Creativity 19/20
So many little things changing, some funky cool bass, constantly expanding theme, while never once losing it's feel, and never doing anything that felt too out of place. And for the cool ending that should have actually been a part of the song :)

Solo 18/20
Great phrasing and note choice, and the sudden change to minor modes worked really well, and not once felt out of place.

Flow 19/20
A prime example of how to do transitions right

Playability 10/10

92/100

Quicksand15

Melody 35/40
Creativity 28/30
Flow 20/20
Playability 10/10

I'm rather blown away by this one. Each instrument sounds like it's promoting a melody of it's own, while complementing that of every other. Despite the fact that things are highly repetitive I never for a second felt bored or sick of hearing anything within the song. The outro was a real highlight for me, It kind of reminded me of a kinda Opeth kinda Porcupine Tree thing.

I am somewhat dissapointed at the lack of a solo. I respect that you felt it would be out of place, but I must say I certainly had fun jamming over it.

93/100

icronic
11-09-2008, 08:23 PM
End Results (to be updated as more judges get their scores in)

6: talentfree 68/100
5: Adaeha & BC_Warlock 74/100
4: Zao_89 82/100
3: Madzää 91/100
2: gonzaw & MarchOfEternity 92/100
1: Quicksand15 93/100

gonzaw
11-09-2008, 08:46 PM
You mean that if it wasn't for that little hard to play bits, I would have gotten 1st place too? :(

Lol I'm kidding thank you so much for the score :p:

EDIT: Did Regression post a song here?
Or are you confusing him with MarchofEternity?

Jonathan Trejo
11-09-2008, 09:03 PM
I can't find Regressions song entry. Were is it? I'd really like to have a good listen :p:

gonzaw
11-09-2008, 09:06 PM
I can't find Regressions song entry. Were is it? I'd really like to have a good listen :p:

Well, seeing as icronic was talking about funky bits, change of modes and a constant theme, and because MarchOfEternity's song is the only one left uncritted, I think he confused a little bit :p:

Jonathan Trejo
11-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah ;)

icronic
11-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah ;)

I've no idea what either of you are talking about ;)

*waves hand in Jedi like fashion* you will not notice the ninja edit.

gonzaw
11-09-2008, 09:31 PM
I've no idea what either of you are talking about ;)

*waves hand in Jedi like fashion* you will not notice the ninja edit.

Last edited by icronic : Today at 10:17 PM.

Gotta practise the ninja skills ;)

Jonathan Trejo
11-09-2008, 09:36 PM
I was just browsing through all the songs and I noticed that Regressions wasn't posted and if it is I'm so blind :eek: . Also MarchOfEternity's Song did not receive a crit.

gonzaw
11-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Anyways, I'm just wondering a thing about your crit..

The only thing that keeps it from being a perfect 20 is that last note in the last solo cuts out in a very noticable and not very smooth way.

I knew the last two notes sounded kinda plain and loud, maybe a simple vibrato can help it being smoother (sp?)?

Oh, and:

I'm amazed at how well this actually worked. My only beef with the flow is that section acoustic section has a few slightly rough moments in it.

Can you care to say which part of the acoustic section? :p:

I want to improve the song, even though I won't post it...

icronic
11-09-2008, 10:22 PM
I knew the last two notes sounded kinda plain and loud, maybe a simple vibrato can help it being smoother (sp?)?

Can you care to say which part of the acoustic section? :p:

Well it definitely could have been sustained a little longer, vibrato might help, a fade out would work or simply sliding out downwards at the end of the note.

As for the acoustic, it was the part directly after the solo. The transition in just didn't quite work. Also the change at 65 is a little awkward.

gonzaw
11-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Well it definitely could have been sustained a little longer, vibrato might help, a fade out would work or simply sliding out downwards at the end of the note.

As for the acoustic, it was the part directly after the solo. The transition in just didn't quite work. Also the change at 65 is a little awkward.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean about the acoustic part, it seems so rushed (I could make the transition at the beginning span another bar)..
I thought adding the drum thing would help smooth the transition at 65, but well..

EDIT: And about the note not sustaining (the one from the last solo)...
See how at 104 I play F and at 105 I play E7? (also at 106 Am).
Well, that high C from the solo at 104 is consonant with the F that is played by the rhythm (being C a perfect 5th). Then the B from 105 is also consonant with E7 (again perfect 5th).
But if I sustained the note, that B would not sound consonant with the Am that followed (making a major 2nd), and I didn't think it would resolve the piece that well.
You know, you resolve the solo, and then the piece fades out, if I sustained the note it wouldn't sound that resolved with all the dissonance and tension.

Hehh, maybe I'l just slide it :p:

icronic
11-09-2008, 11:18 PM
That could have been a part of what bothered me as well now that I think of it. You might thing of adding a quick 8th note E at the end of 104 followed by an A at 105. It's almost too obvious a way to end it though. I can't think of any other way to do it actually since there's no logical note you can hold for more than one bar. At least not that I can see. Damn you for not being in any particular key :P

gonzaw
11-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Well, it is the key of Am, but the whole song has some mixed stuff, the second acoustic section is both E phrigian dominant and A minor at the same time :confused: :p:

Well, I could just play an A at 106, but I prefer having those other two notes (C and B) stand out (like some kind of scream or something, if I resolve it to A it will sound too lame and predictable)..

Hell, music is so complicated :(

MarchOfEternity
11-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Tied for 2nd place? **** YEAH! :headbang:

...but you confused me with someone else :( .
*goes to a corner, grabs an electric shaver and start playing emo music... wait a minute... ELECTRIC shaver?*

Phrasing, eh? Yea, I suck with phrasing. I thought I did good with this one, frankly speaking; in fact, I think this was my best :p: . I was trying to simulate the "singing guitar" feel, so I tried avoiding the standard rhythm thingy, and tried playing and messing around with the phrasing.

I didn't have enough time to incorporate the "ending" into the actual song, and I also felt the current ending was already perfect as it is (real reason is because I couldn't be arsed to make a smooth transition, though *cough*cheating*cough). Oh, and weird notes? Would you mind clarifying which part they're on?

Btw, I don't know why, but I have this strange feeling that you were reluctant to give me a full score of 20/20 :haha

Quicksand15
11-10-2008, 01:19 PM
wow, that came totally unexpected! thank you so much =)

yeah i know it's very repetetive, it was my approach to write a post-rock style song, so it's meant to be that way.
also much kudos to you for respecting my view of music. i dont know shit about theory, so soloing just isn't my thing.
for me, my music is driven by other things.

actually i find it very impressive that you noticed the opeth/porcupine tree reference in the outro!
that was - to be honest - exactly the plan i had :)

again thank you so much!

MarchOfEternity
11-13-2008, 05:20 AM
What about the other judges? Anytime soon would be damn fine ;)

Its_Rock77
11-13-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm seriously trying to find time guys, but I've just been extremely busy for the last couple weeks. and I'm starting to fall behind on schoolwork. :/

so I don't know. If you're willing to wait, I'll get this done ASAP but if you want some closure, you'll have to count me out. :shrug:

gonzaw
11-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Nah take all the time you want.

But do you have an approximate time in which you will complete all your schoolwork, etc?

MarchOfEternity
11-14-2008, 05:47 AM
Meh, school > UG (or at least that's the way it *should* be ;) ). Take all the time you need, man, we could wait here. No rush or anything :)

Its_Rock77
11-14-2008, 07:35 PM
thanks a lot guys. I'll be working this weekend. :)

Its_Rock77
11-19-2008, 08:25 PM
well, here's the deal. I've obviously been pretty short on time since my scores are still not in. and I'm really sorry guys, but tonight I'm doin it.

however, I've still got mucha tarea hacer so I'm gonna post scores and scores only. so if you want a little insight, just ask. however, I can guarentee you that you probably already would know why you got a certain score based on what the other judges said. :shrug: so sorry I've let you guys down so far, but I'm gettin scores in tonight. :)

Its_Rock77
11-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Madzaa
Melody 26
Creativity 17
Solo 19
Flow 18
Playability 10
Overall 90

Talentfree
Melody 18
Creativity 18
Solo 11
Flow 9
Playability 10
Overall 66

Adaeha
Melody 24
Creativity 17
Solo 14
Flow 15
Playability 10
Overall 80

Quicksand
Melody 18 (Just to make one clarification, I took points off here cause this song was just way too long man. And I can’t give you an awesome score because of that. :shrug: )
Creativity 17
Solo 12
Flow 18
Playability 10
Overall 75

BC_Warlock
Melody 28
Creativity 15
Solo 19
Flow 15
Playability 10
Overall 87

March of Eternity
Melody 29
Creativity 18
Solo 18
Flow 16
Playability 10
Overall 91

Quicksand15
11-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Just to make one clarification, I took points off here cause this song was just way too long man. And I can’t give you an awesome score because of that.
wtf? you give me less points just because it's long?! thats really odd...i did not force it to be that long, you know. i thought it was 7, maybe 8 minutes long, but yeah, it turned out different...so what? you judge songs by its lenght?!

dont get me wrong, im open to constructive criticism, but sayin "its too long" does not help me in any way :rolleyes:
it just leaves the impression that you're not open minded enough to take time and listen to a 10min+ song...

gonzaw
11-20-2008, 04:22 PM
You forgot to crit my song :(

^I guess he is saying that it's too repetitive n relation to it's lenght or something...

Zao_89
11-20-2008, 05:36 PM
You forgot to crit my song :(
Same.

Its_Rock77
11-20-2008, 06:50 PM
wtf? you give me less points just because it's long?! thats really odd...i did not force it to be that long, you know. i thought it was 7, maybe 8 minutes long, but yeah, it turned out different...so what? you judge songs by its lenght?!

dont get me wrong, im open to constructive criticism, but sayin "its too long" does not help me in any way :rolleyes:
it just leaves the impression that you're not open minded enough to take time and listen to a 10min+ song...

sorry man, I phrased that way wrong. I meant that it was too long as in way too repetitive like gonzaw said. I was getting really bored of the same stuff over and over again with little variation.

don't get me wrong, it was a good song, but just not enough to keep it interesting.

and I forgot a couple? I know I listened to all of them. I guess I just forgot to crit your guys'. they'll be up in a second.

Its_Rock77
11-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Gonzaw
Melody 27
Creativity 16
Solo 18
Flow 17
Playability 10
Overall 88

Zao_89
Melody 23
Creativity 17
Flow 19
Solo 18
Playability 10
Overall 87

Quicksand15
11-21-2008, 10:27 AM
sorry man, I phrased that way wrong. I meant that it was too long as in way too repetitive like gonzaw said. I was getting really bored of the same stuff over and over again with little variation.

don't get me wrong, it was a good song, but just not enough to keep it interesting.

and I forgot a couple? I know I listened to all of them. I guess I just forgot to crit your guys'. they'll be up in a second.

ok, now that's something i can live with. it was intended to be in a post-rock style and that's why it is repetetive...all opinion i guess :)

Its_Rock77
11-24-2008, 11:32 PM
someone wrap this up so I don't feel completely useless. :p:

gonzaw
11-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Td_Nights and b101 are the only judges left...
Perhaps they forgot?

RedDeath9
11-25-2008, 12:33 AM
Well, I haven't seen Td_nights since the DT COMP started.

BC_Warlock
12-22-2008, 08:44 AM
So....who won this competition? lol.