Worship band setups

PDA

View Full Version : Worship band setups

ZagsElite
09-22-2008, 01:24 AM
if you play in a praise/worship band could you post your effects setup/rig, I'd like to see some for acoustic and electric
mainly contemporary music style, college fellowships and stuff

Hella_Br00tal
09-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Marshall MG100DFX the overdrive is CRUSHING! great for praise/worship bands.

i_am_metalhead
09-22-2008, 01:51 AM
I think a good ol' Search Bar will do the trick for you... they are easy to find and are completely free. You should definitely check one out!

sg622
09-22-2008, 01:54 AM
Marshall MG100DFX the overdrive is CRUSHING! great for praise/worship bands.
dont care if its sarcasm. get out.

I played in a praise band for some time. I use my SG through a Valveking. I also have my telecaster which is great for songs that i need cleans for or if i need an acoustic but dont have one. The effects that i think youll definately need are delay, reverb, and a OD pedal. Anything else will drown out everything since youll probably be playing with an acoustic player if youre playing electric.

chea_man
09-22-2008, 02:11 AM
delay, reverb. chorus, and light OD would cover it well.
im in a band that origially was a praise and worship band. when i joined i started arranging all the songs so now were more of a southern rock band.

IncubusMan999
09-22-2008, 02:32 AM
I have a friend who plays guitar in a church band, he has a lot of gear though. Really, all you would need is a relatively clean tube amp, potenitally with i-built reverb that has quite bright tonality and wide EQ range, an overdrive pedal or two, a delay/reverb, and a wah for some light solos/leads

IncuEdit: A lot of church players also use guitars with single coils, and occasionally low output humbuckers.

Johnbryant
09-22-2008, 10:53 AM
I use a Peavey Triple XXX, but really depending on what you are wanting, any nice 15-50 watt mid gained tube combo should be great for most, but not for us. I am the leader of my churchs youth band and we get pretty hardcore, not much screaming, but we use a lot of metalcore riffs and tones. Honestly though as far as FX, Hillsong music can be covered easily with a decent delay, OD, Wah-wah, chours, mabe a tremelo, and a soild mid gain tube amp like a Peavey classic 30; for example, should get you in the ball park. Thats all the FX that both bands use at my church and both cover a ton of Hillsong.

Djaykid11
09-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm a worship leader at our local church and I use an Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX run through a huge solid state amp. The Dirty Fingers pups give me all the overdrive i need to crunch through Hillsong material like "break free", Planetshakers, Jeremy Camp or Lincoln Brewster stuff. I have a Korg AX1500G multi-effects that will add some distortion or some delay for the milder things we do. I always like to take worship songs that are hard already and add a bit of an edge to them.

papersun87
09-22-2008, 02:04 PM
I use a Crunch Box, which has a huge range of gain sounds, into a Line 6 DL4 for ambience. My co-guitarist uses a similar set up but instead of a Crunch Box, he uses his Triple Recto (I know) into HIS DL4, along with a volume pedal and an eBow.

It sounds spacey and cool.

theoreticmusic
09-22-2008, 03:13 PM
If you're looking for acoustic tones, maybe look into a powerbridge for your telecaster?
I'm considering modding a guitar out with one.

georgakis187
09-22-2008, 03:17 PM
praise satan....jackson kv2 and 5150

whiteraven119
09-22-2008, 03:40 PM
The fact that it's a worship band means nothing; what kind of music does that worship band play?

When I played at church, I used my Gibson SG on (then, a crappy modelling amp) a decent-gain recto patch.

Just because you say "Worship band" doesn't mean, "Oh, you need X guitar through Y amp with Z pedals."

pac108
09-22-2008, 03:55 PM
I was in a worship band before I left for college. My gear is in my sig.

When I would lead worship I just ran my Breedlove direct.

As for electric settings, it varies. I have seperate patches for my schecter and strat which I both play equally as much. Both patches are essentially the same, just eq'd differently for the different guitars.

Cleans are with a '65 twin reverb model.
Distortion - Marshall jump panel model.
Greenback 4x12 for both amps on both patches.
Tubescreamer stompbox on both for light distortion and to thicken up lead tone.
Compressor on strat patch for more quack.

MESAexplorer
09-22-2008, 04:02 PM
I use my Framus Dragon on crunch with the gain less than half, lots of bass and mids and i use presence to control the treble; into a Carvin Legacy cab and I usually use my Carvin 7 string because it has 5 pickup positions and coil split so I can adjust my sound constantly.

I also use a Maxon OD9

I don't really need any reverb because of the building design. As for controlling gain, to play clean i roll off the volume knob and turn off the OD9, and for a Steve Vai-esque gain, I roll it up and turn it on.

zhunt1130
09-22-2008, 04:13 PM
The fact that it's a worship band means nothing; what kind of music does that worship band play?

When I played at church, I used my Gibson SG on (then, a crappy modelling amp) a decent-gain recto patch.

Just because you say "Worship band" doesn't mean, "Oh, you need X guitar through Y amp with Z pedals."

Great point, a lot of churches have very different styles of worship music. I got a big church with like 2,000 people and the Jr. High, HS, College and Main services have very different styles. When I played in the Jr. High one, it was more of a pop punk sound so I used a decent amount of gain. I used to use a Digitech RP250 and used the Recto modeler for that. When I played in the HS one, it was more of an alternative rock style. I used cleans with deley and reverb and for dirty parts I used the Marshall modeler. When I played in the college one (which was weird b/c I was only 15) I used a Fender Deluxe with an OD pedal and a PRS CU22 (man I wished that guitar was actually mine), and the style was mostly the same as HS with a little more light gain lead lines. And the main service was a whole other monster b/c it was geared toward an middle aged crowd.

Bottom line, I think the best idea would be to analyze the style and find out which it is closest to. Just b/c you're playing in church doesn't mean it's in a certain genre, so one guy's setup could be completely different from yours.

MESAexplorer
09-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Bottom line, I think the best idea would be to analyze the style and find out which it is closest to. Just b/c you're playing in church doesn't mean it's in a certain genre, so one guy's setup could be completely different from yours.

Or do what I do and have a blues amp with plenty of extra saturation and dial it up or down as needed. :p:

Yeah, you're right though! :cheers:

symanoy
09-22-2008, 04:27 PM
for most worship music theres a fair bit off sorta ambiant spacey sounds, so I think a delay is fairly important some sort of modulation maybe chorus or flange is probably useful.a nice overdrive would be good tooo

mattocaster99
04-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Delay mixed with heavy reverb such as a line 6 verbzilla on cave setting sounds great on some of the softer songs. A DL-4 is a great place to start.

edit- sorry for the necropost- I had done a search and forgot to look at the date

sg4ever
04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Well...I switch from from alternative rock oriented contemporary worship to gospel. I am using a Greg Bennett AV3 with stock humbucker and a Fender MiM Strat into a Vox AD30vt. I use the Fender Twin Reverb emulation for cleans, the AC30 emulation for cleans and mellow overdrive, and the JCM800 emulation for crunchy tones and solos. For the southern gospel stuff it's just Fender clean with reverb. For more modern stuff I'll through in Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler (not mine) and switch to my overdriven tones when needed. Better gear to accommodate this will soon be a Peavey Classic 30, a Boss DD-7, a Maxon OD808, and a Hardwire SC-2.

sg4ever
04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
^^^^throw^^^^ hate typos

Brendan.Clace
04-13-2009, 09:56 PM
I think a good ol' Search Bar will do the trick for you... they are easy to find and are completely free. You should definitely check one out!

Wait a min...oh.... yeah.... im really getting sick of seeing this thread 90000+ times a day from you....

and not even in the threads it needs to be in like the Marshall MG threads or Line6 Spider III heads. Posts that have an actual question.

apak
04-13-2009, 10:25 PM
My ltd through a fender frontman 25R. Cleans are good but the distortion is ****. It can do a good pantera sound though (toneless mid free trebly bassy heavy ass distortion). You know praise is whatever. you can play whatever you want. Put some pinch harmonics here and there and you can do covers of songs too.

Typically, you should have a delay, chorus, and an overdrive.

Joda
04-15-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm the Worship Director at my church. I alternate between playing keyboards (Yamaha Motif ES 6) and playing Guitar (Fender MIM Strat, running through a Line 6 Pod X3 Live which goes direct into the PA). My main guitarist is also using an X3 Live running through the PA. He is currently using an ESP SG copy, but we're trying to get him a Tele. The active pickups on the ESP, can make things a little harsh. He also uses a cheap-o Dean Acoustic/Electric. I want to upgrade the acoustic to a Martin of some sort. The X3s going direct to the PA add for better control of the volume and overall sound. I tend to use the Vox AC30 emulations a lot. Effects just depend on the songs being played.

I also have a second keyboardist (playing an Alesis QS8 and a Juno 60), going into the PA through a Roland KC-150 amp, a bass player (playing through an SWR Workingman, running out into the PA) and a drummer (who isn't mic'd, no need right now).

The PA is a Mackie SR24 and a DBX Driverack PA to handle compression/EQ/etc., plus two amps (one for monitors and another for the mains). I'm constantly upgrading gear as my budget allows. When I can, I don't mind picking up equipment and instruments for the musicians as long as they commit to playing in the Worship Band. This allows me to get the overall sound I'm looking for. Most of my players are young and can't afford their own gear, so they don't mind... ;-)

IbanezPsycho
04-15-2009, 07:41 PM
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/5/4/1/6/541666/pics/_c588216_image_0.JPG .

Theres my rig but only if Satanic Churchs count :devil: :headbang:

Sorry man couldnt resist...

chagmaier
04-15-2009, 08:24 PM
i use an epi lp std through my tonlab. the tonelab splits into both the PA and into my v18 2x12. i v18 is only being used as a monitor, the gain is kept as low as possible, and the eq flat. the 2x12 makes an awesome monitor, beats using a 'hot spot' monitor. ;)

with the tonelab, ive used tones from EVH, SRV, 68 plexi, a SLO 100 patch based on warren haynes rig, even a patch based on david gilmours run like hell.

sumflak
04-15-2009, 08:29 PM
dont forget the "heavenly" chorus pedal!

sumflak
04-15-2009, 08:32 PM
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/5/4/1/6/541666/pics/_c588216_image_0.JPG .

Theres my rig but only if Satanic Churchs count :devil: :headbang:

Sorry man couldnt resist...

LMAO! Dude thats a nice 6505!!!!
How does the Gain channel sound on it?
I see u boost it with a Bad Monkey looks like?

NaivexLi
04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
For most Priase and Worship styles your best friends will be Reverb, Delay and Phase pedals.

Any amp with a good clean tone will work, especially something alot of Fender amps.
although I know a guy at my church uses Crate amps and they have a nice clean tone as well.

As for overdrive, go with something fairly sturdy.

I mean, no you don't want to overdo it but some overdrive pedals are too crunchy and rough sounding.

I know that The Edge from U2 uses a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver (Keeley Mod, although the standard BD-2 works just as well in this case)
so if you like his overdrive tone, that's a good place to start.

I also believe Steve Fee has used the BD-2 Blues Driver, but I may be wrong.

although these suggestions are for the U2 sounding worship bands (Hillsong United, Matt Redman, Chris Tomlin, Hillsong London, and the like. they pretty much base their sound similar to that of many U2 songs)

IbanezPsycho
04-15-2009, 08:49 PM
LMAO! Dude thats a nice 6505!!!!
How does the Gain channel sound on it?
I see u boost it with a Bad Monkey looks like?

Sounds amazing for what I use it for...
That I was, also had a Keeley TS9DX in the mix but now adays I just us the H&K Tube Factor.

Silent_Crow13
04-15-2009, 08:51 PM
We use a Pa system and acoustic electric guitars with thr EQ on the guitars.

sg4ever
04-15-2009, 09:00 PM
For most Priase and Worship styles your best friends will be Reverb, Delay and Phase pedals.

Any amp with a good clean tone will work, especially something alot of Fender amps.
although I know a guy at my church uses Crate amps and they have a nice clean tone as well.

As for overdrive, go with something fairly sturdy.

I mean, no you don't want to overdo it but some overdrive pedals are too crunchy and rough sounding.

I know that The Edge from U2 uses a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver (Keeley Mod, although the standard BD-2 works just as well in this case)
so if you like his overdrive tone, that's a good place to start.

I also believe Steve Fee has used the BD-2 Blues Driver, but I may be wrong.

although these suggestions are for the U2 sounding worship bands (Hillsong United, Matt Redman, Chris Tomlin, Hillsong London, and the like. they pretty much base their sound similar to that of many U2 songs)

Daniel Carson of Chris Tomlin uses a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and ProCo Rat (first one).

04-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Lamb Of God's Mark Morton's rig is showcased on the last page of this months Guitar World.

Turn to page 170 and BEHOLD!

sg4ever
04-15-2009, 09:07 PM
^^^ok???

a7xrocks02
04-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Lamb Of God's Mark Morton's rig is showcased on the last page of this months Guitar World.

Turn to page 170 and BEHOLD!

Your point? He dosen't want a heavy metal rig for church.

04-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Your point? He dosen't want a heavy metal rig for church.

Actually it is kind of relevant (besides religious connotation). It shows the whole signal path through pedals, amps, wire-less systems, etc.. from guitar to speaker. Everything is labeled. They do it every month, some are complicated, some are simple.

Mark Morton's setup is pretty straight forward and seems versatile enough, and might be a helpful visual resource for whoever is interested because most of the stuff you guy's were talking about is mapped out right there with pictures and arrows.

NaivexLi
04-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Daniel Carson of Chris Tomlin uses a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and ProCo Rat (first one).

Really?
I'm honestly a bit surprised at that for some reason XD

mostly because I'm usually a fan of Fulltone stuff....and I'm honestly not a huge fan of his tone at all.
go figure

sg4ever
04-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Well his heavier tone is usually the Rat (Let God Arise, etc.). His live tone is much better than his studio tone in my opinion (not as tinny). Don't let that give Fulltone a bad name though. I went to see some people in concert and they had some pretty good tone with that pedal (perks of standing right in front of the guitarist's feet). Course most everyone on that set used the same Orange AD30 and Orange 2x12 cab.

amliu
09-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Call it biased but I believe I have the best cheap setup in the world for worship music :P
I have a Epiphone G400 Deluxe Limited with Maestro for rhythm (never underestimate Epiphone) and a Big Block Telecaster (for lead), both of which cost me 400 CAD.
I have a POD XT Live which cost me 350 CAD
And I run straight into the system which for me costs 0 CAD
(for those who don't know, CAD is Canadian dollars).
And don't underestimate PODs, Lincoln Brewster (a popular worship leader known for shredding) used to use a POD XT Live and now uses a POD X3 Live. I can download his exact setup online!

tubetime86
09-22-2009, 04:33 PM
^Don't bump old threads. I think he probably got it figured out, since this was back in April.

This drives me nuts, you obviously went searching for a thread to post in and brag about your rig. And now, just because of your pompous necro-post, I will point out; your gear is just cheap.