Best Starter Amp?

PDA

View Full Version : Best Starter Amp?

Natrone
09-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Hey. I'm going to be getting my first ELECTRIC guitar in a few days and I was wondering what a good starter amp is. And I'm not interested in playing that shred/metal/hardcore whatever stuff. More classic rock and the like if that makes any difference. And by the way, I'm not new to GUITAR, just ELECTRIC. I've been told that the Roland Micro Cube is the best one to get as a starter amp, but does anyone have any other opinions? Oh, and I also know not to get a Line 6 Spider amp. I'm not that stupid.

Anyway, opinions?

CJRocker
09-25-2008, 10:30 PM
What is your budget? If you're looking to stay under $200, look at the Roland Cube 20x, Vox Valvetronix (what I wish I started with tbh...) or maybe a Randall RX. the MicroCube aren't bad, but they can sound a bit thin with cheaper, lower output pickups. The Vox probably has the richest tone, while the Roland is built the best and has better high gain tones. The best for higher gains though is going to be the Randall, but it's kind of a one trick pony

Natrone
09-25-2008, 10:31 PM
I don't have a very high budget being only 16 and not having a job, but I should be getting plenty of birthday money in the next few days so I'd say my budget would be around $150

HighPotency
09-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Used vox AD30VT. Got mine at guitar center for $150, i'm sure you could get it somewhere else cheaper.

imgooley
09-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Vox Valvetronix, IMO.

Great starter amp.

Great versatile amp, really.

EDIT: If you want clips, I have some in my profile.

Blaster Bob
09-25-2008, 10:42 PM
$150 can get you an epiphone valve jr. combo. I've heard some good things about that although I've never actually heard one. It's 5watts, all tube.

$150 can also get you a Crate V series 18 watter, also all tube. I haven't heard anything at all about that one, I'd be a little skeptical- just because it's all tube does not mean it's great. blem version for $130 here: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=487051X

Hakael
09-25-2008, 10:45 PM
The new Peavey Vypyr is starting to gain some popularity. A modelling amp in the same vein as Line 6 Spiders, but many people are much preferring the Vypyr. Even against the Roland Cubes.

BrockTandem
09-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Get a Vox Valvetronix or a Roland Cube.

Natrone
09-25-2008, 11:49 PM
So I think what I should do is treat these like an acoustic: Get my list of amps to try, take my guitar to GC, and subsequently try out said amps and see which one I like best.

Am I right?

Oujou
09-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Marshall MG, Mine hasn't Disappointed me >.>

FiestaItaliano
09-26-2008, 12:11 AM
hey what's up dude!

i'm 16 too so I know what you're talking about when you say you have a low budget!

i'd definitely go for a roland cube, even though it looks a little wimpy, that thing's a beast.

I'd go to your local guitar center or whatever music store and ask the dudes there, cuz they sure as hell know what they're talkin about. they're in the buisiness for gods sake! :p:

di$TOrTed
09-26-2008, 12:11 AM
microcube

cheap and you don't have to worry about buying any kinds of effects right away to get the sounds you want

R.D
09-26-2008, 12:17 AM
i'd be looking at the low end tube amps mentioned earlier, seriously, Tube > Solid State any day (unless ofcause your into jazz *right there is my flame shield*).

and you say you're looking at rock (thats my boy, we need more rock guitarists instead of these shred heads) so a tube amp will give you a nice rock overdrive,

have a nice day.

zerocrack
09-26-2008, 12:31 AM
So I think what I should do is treat these like an acoustic: Get my list of amps to try, take my guitar to GC, and subsequently try out said amps and see which one I like best.

Am I right?

u can bring your own guitar to GC to try out amp? i never know that :eek:

HighPotency
09-26-2008, 12:36 AM
i'd be looking at the low end tube amps mentioned earlier, seriously, Tube > Solid State any day (unless ofcause your into jazz *right there is my flame shield*).

and you say you're looking at rock (thats my boy, we need more rock guitarists instead of these shred heads) so a tube amp will give you a nice rock overdrive,

have a nice day.
Don't listen to this guy. Just because it's tube doesn't mean its better than a nice SS.
Don't listen to this guy either.

MESAexplorer
09-26-2008, 12:46 AM
I want to recommend a Peavey Vypyr, but i haven't played one yet.

If you go with Roland, get the 30watt or higher, the 20's and lower sound terribly shrill and crappy.

The valvetronix has a wierd feel to it, and IMO I don't really like the tone.

If you're into metal, I do recommend a Spider, it's cheaper than the roland, and valvetronix, has plenty of gain, effects, and fun stuff to mess around with. They're not overpriced in america, and IMO, they're a good starter amp.

Natrone
09-26-2008, 01:00 AM
I want to recommend a Peavey Vypyr, but i haven't played one yet.

If you go with Roland, get the 30watt or higher, the 20's and lower sound terribly shrill and crappy.

The valvetronix has a wierd feel to it, and IMO I don't really like the tone.

If you're into metal, I do recommend a Spider, it's cheaper than the roland, and valvetronix, has plenty of gain, effects, and fun stuff to mess around with. They're not overpriced in america, and IMO, they're a good starter amp.
Well, if you read my original post, I said I'm not into metal.

Anyway, I've been doing some searching on the internets, and have found that I LOVE the tone of the crate V-18 amp! Not only that but I haven't heard one bad thing about it from anybody. So now I bring the question to UG:

Have you played it? And if so do you like it and would it be a good choice for a starter amp?

Blaster Bob
09-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Bringing your guitar to a store where you can try out the amps is a great idea. At the end of the day all that matters is what your ears like.

No guarantees can be made about the expertise or scrupulousness of GC employees... I've met honest ones who really knew what they were talking about, and I've met ones who reminded me of the worst used car salesmen.

I've never played the Crate V18, but I would recommend a tube amp over solid state. If you're not happy with the tone, $40 can get you a new set of tubes so you can change it. Don't buy anything without listening to it first though, unless you're DAMN sure.

If you do go with a tube amp, make sure you have the store's tech check that the one you get is biased properly before you buy it. Tube amps, especially the cheaper ones, are notorious for coming from the factory biased cold to rule out any chance of tube failure under warranty. This usually makes the amp sound cold and brittle. This is also something you can do yourself, but depending on the amp's design you could have to pull the amp chassis and risk electrocuting yourself with a capacitor, even when unplugged, so I won't go into that here.

acdc51502112
09-26-2008, 01:55 AM

you're the first then....

go for a roland cube 15

Doadman
09-26-2008, 01:57 AM
My failsafe position on this is a Roland Cube 30 or the 20w version if the 30w is too expensive. They're the best starter amps I've tried. However, I found them superb for Metal but if you prefer more Classic Rock sounds then I'd say the Vox Valvetronix would be a better way to go as the warmer tone seems to suit that less extreme style.

imgooley
09-26-2008, 02:03 AM
Well, if you read my original post, I said I'm not into metal.

Anyway, I've been doing some searching on the internets, and have found that I LOVE the tone of the crate V-18 amp! Not only that but I haven't heard one bad thing about it from anybody. So now I bring the question to UG:

Have you played it? And if so do you like it and would it be a good choice for a starter amp?
I own a V33H, and it's damned good.

But for a first amp, I'd still get a Valvetronix.

Though for the price, it's a steal.

The Vox has way more flexibility, so if you want to play around with sounds, it's the way to go.

If you want 3 or 4 tones, and only those, get the Crate.

imgooley
09-26-2008, 02:04 AM

have a nice day.
Tube>SS for Jazz.

SS>Tube for Dying Fetus.

Martin Scott
09-26-2008, 04:01 AM
Hey. I'm going to be getting my first ELECTRIC guitar in a few days and I was wondering what a good starter amp is. And I'm not interested in playing that shred/metal/hardcore whatever stuff. More classic rock and the like if that makes any difference. And by the way, I'm not new to GUITAR, just ELECTRIC. I've been told that the Roland Micro Cube is the best one to get as a starter amp, but does anyone have any other opinions? Oh, and I also know not to get a Line 6 Spider amp. I'm not that stupid.

Anyway, opinions?

I know you wanted "other opinions", but whoever told you to get the Roland Micro Cube was bang on. If you're just using it for home practice, it's a really sweet little amp with several actually usable amp models. I know people with 1,000 valve amps who still just use their Micro Cube at home to practice. So clearly, not only is it perfect for what you need, but will also always be your go-to amp for home practice, regardless of what other amps you end up getting in the future. Here's a great little video that actually shows you the sorts of sounds you can get from it:

YouTube Demo Video (CLICK) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekhm5gauEvY)

Trust me, the guy hasn't even got it turned up half way. It's really loud for a 2watt practice amp! Plus you can tell it's made by musicians. Not only does it have a bunch of effects, but the delay and reverb are separate from the chorus and what have you. so you can use them in tandem. Just lots of thoughtful little touches like that make it great. Because of the amp models and all the great effects, you won't "need" any other gear for a long time to practice different genres, etc. I also use it to take to students' houses to give guitar lessons. All in all, it's a fantastic investment, and I highly recommend it to you.

GogglesVK
09-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Maybe go for a Roland or Vox, but honestly Spider III's aren't very bad. When I compare it to other amps the Spider is still quality stuff. Just remember that if you do get one stay under 30w. Good starter/practice amp.

pak1351
09-26-2008, 10:10 AM
If you're just going to be playing in your bedroom, a crate V18 probably is too loud. There was a thread 2 or three days ago where the guy couldn't turn it up loud enough to get a good tone, and he complained about it sounding like shit

I'd say either used valve junior or a vox.

drywater101
09-26-2008, 11:44 AM
vox valvetronix

jacobparker
09-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Spider III 75
Marshal MG
Fender frontman
All great amps
</sarcasm>

rhettro
09-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Having read the styles you're interested in the Vox Valvetronic was the first amp I thought of, just stay away from the XL versions.

Natrone
09-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey thanks everyone! This has been really helpful to a noobie like me :p:

I think I'm going to try the valvtronix and micro cube at GC tomorrow, and just for my own personal curiosity I wanna check out the v-18 (future reference, you know?)

Again, thanks to everyone! I'm looking forward to getting some more great advice from the electric forum the way I've gotten awesome advice in the acoustic forum!

:cheers:

lespaul#1
09-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Fender Super Champ

pak1351
09-26-2008, 08:14 PM
^If you had 300 dollars then super champ xd. Best practice amp in my opinion

5th_fret
09-26-2008, 09:59 PM
go tube. the sticky has a list of some good AND cheap models.

edit: the sticky of the Guitar Gear and Accesories Forum. no, i havent tried many of those amps but the info is supposed to be trustworthy.

the roland cube is a very good practice amp but what if you want to play live/get into a band etc? tube sounds better than SS and modelling. if its just for practice, i dont see a problem with the roland cube or the valvetronix.

Harlot
09-26-2008, 11:38 PM
spider amps do suck, on the contrary,
it might be an investment buying one ONLY because Spider III amps has several effects programmed into the amp itself and you can fool around with it and not have to worry about buying pedals.

Copilot911
09-27-2008, 12:11 AM
I am 17 and can easily make $200 in a week, I suggest getting a part time job.

Blaster Bob
09-27-2008, 12:31 AM
I am 17 and can easily make $200 in a week, I suggest getting a part time job.

Actually yeah, ask your parents if any of their friends need some hedges trimmed or something like that. If you have a church to ask at, this is a gold mine. When my summer job wouldn't give me enough hours I picked up odd jobs for $10/hr. Much harder work, but paid WAY better than my regular job.

Natrone
09-27-2008, 02:48 AM
Problem is I need the amp now because I'm gettin the guitar later today and don't want it to just be sitting there useless till I can get enough money. That's why my budget is low. I live in a small town/suburb and there aren't many jobs available to 16 year olds that aren't a waste of time.

I do have SOME money, but I don't need a really expensive amp right now anyway as I am just learning and won't be in a band for quite a while.