Martin, Taylors, Gibsons...overpriced and overrated?

PDA

View Full Version : Martin, Taylors, Gibsons...overpriced and overrated?

AcousticDoc
09-26-2008, 02:25 PM
With a lot of cheaper all solid solutions around such as masterbilt, silvercreek, blueridge and etc, do you guys feel that the big 3 mass produced high quality acoustic companies are becomming overrated and overpriced?

dougl126
09-26-2008, 02:31 PM
They arent mass produced, Martins are the best
Taylors and Gibsons are behind martin.

AcousticDoc
09-26-2008, 02:45 PM
I mean they are pretty mass produced in terms of other high quality acoustic companies like Santa Cruz, Collings, Goodall and etc.

Silverstein14
09-26-2008, 03:20 PM

Not true. Your personal opinion may differ from others. I personally HATE Martin. Have never played one that sounds very nice. Taylors on the other hand are amazing guitars. Breedlove too ;)

anita prs bad
09-26-2008, 03:37 PM
overpriced yes sometimes although if it wasnt for the people at martin and gibson there would be no asian knockoffs. so i would say considering they spent all the man hours and trial and error in their production and all these knockoffs are basically trying to copy their hard work i say let them charge whatever the market will buy.
as for taylor they are actually a reletively "new" manufacturer and they have gone near bankrupt many times starting their buisness and now that they are recognized by their higher quality guitars and are able to give many people jobs i have no problem paying a little more for the name on the headstock plus they come with a lifetime warranty and have in my opinion the absolute best necks of any acoustic guitar i have ever played.

captivate
09-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Martin's aren't the best. Even though I'm a Martin man, there's no way you can slap a label like "the best" on any manufacturer.

I don't like Taylors either. I find their sound to be too uptight and precise. Sounds like its got no soul to me. Of course, it's all just personal preference.

Overpriced? Of course they are. Overrated? Maybe a little. Yes, other manufacturers are starting to push the level of quality higher, but each of these big 3 companies have a signature sound of their own. That, in itself, is why they are so successful. They've got their own sound that's specific to them that people love. Other companies just have a great sound, but nothing that makes people say "ohh, that must be a _____". The big 3 will always be overpriced(sometimes REALLY overpriced) and a little overrated, but never obsolete.

ozshadow
09-26-2008, 04:55 PM
If I buy a Martin, I get a superior product made by an American. It allows him/her to continue working and go home to support him/herself and family. That money flows out into his community, and eventually throughout the US.

No Made in China guitar can give you all that plus an awesome sound.

Silverstein14
09-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Martin's are not the only guitars made directly in the US you know.

ozshadow
09-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Martin was one example. His use of "masterbilt, silvercreek, blueridge and etc, " while they may be fine sounding, are made in China.

Silverstein14
09-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Ah true enough.

milagroso
09-26-2008, 10:28 PM
I love the way martins sound, but I've never been able to get used to the stiff necks. I like the shorter scale on gibson guitars -- and they sound nice too!! But martin, gibson, and taylor are just selling thier guitars for what people will pay -- it has nothing to do with being overpriced. They also hold thier values so what you pay, you can get back if you want. For those of us who don't have that kind of money, masterbilts, silvercreeks, and blueridges are great options.

captivate
09-27-2008, 12:29 AM
Martins hold their value a lot more than the other two. I also dont like the martin neck that much. The V shape isnt comfortable. My seagull has a very thick oval shaped neck. One of the most comfortable necks i've ever played on. The thickness of the neck gives more leverage and power.

Baby Joel
09-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Its impossible to say whether they are overpriced. Some people think 5K+ Martins are the exact price they deserve, because they like the tone. Other people like me think Breedloves are underpriced, because they like the tone so much. I'm sure Silverstein would agree with me. ;)
I think Taylors and Gibsons are worse than Martins. But I also think Breedloves trump them all. :D

slidething31
09-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Just to throw my two cents in: Martins and Gibsons are priced above most of the market because they have been around for a long time, and have a history of quality.

Taylor, relatively newer, is priced above the rest of the market because their reputation for playability is great.

In my opinion, out of these three brands currently produced guitars, you can't beat a good Gibson slope shouldered dread. But Gibson is also less consistent than the others.

And another great brand that I don't see mentioned often enough with the big boys is Larrivee. Of course I could be a bit biased. :D

USAPeavey
09-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Its all relative :P

But, just a FYI, I bought my Taylor 410ce as an impulse buy, and I seriously regret it. I just cant stand the necks on taylors.

captivate
09-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Its all relative :P

But, just a FYI, I bought my Taylor 410ce as an impulse buy, and I seriously regret it. I just cant stand the necks on taylors.

Wow, are you serious? Taylor necks are ridiculously comfortable for most people. I would take a Taylor neck over my martin V neck any day.

Silverstein14
09-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Its impossible to say whether they are overpriced. Some people think 5K+ Martins are the exact price they deserve, because they like the tone. Other people like me think Breedloves are underpriced, because they like the tone so much. I'm sure Silverstein would agree with me. ;)
I think Taylors and Gibsons are worse than Martins. But I also think Breedloves trump them all. :D

Amen brother!! :cheers:

USAPeavey
09-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Wow, are you serious? Taylor necks are ridiculously comfortable for most people. I would take a Taylor neck over my martin V neck any day.

Yeah I know its weird...

Most people I know have fallen in love with Taylors necks...but for some reason they are just very hard for me to play. I also don't like the expression system (but then again I've never heard an acoustic pickup that I like).

I play my Seagull S6 much more than my Taylor.

Silverstein14
09-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah I know its weird...

Most people I know have fallen in love with Taylors necks...but for some reason they are just very hard for me to play. I also don't like the expression system (but then again I've never heard an acoustic pickup that I like).

I play my Seagull S6 much more than my Taylor.

By all means take that pain in the "neck" Taylor off your hands :)

....I think I just lost my dignity with that one. :sad:

Seriously though, my mailbox is always open.

Tulkas
09-27-2008, 07:56 PM

In my opinion, Martin's are ok but overrated.....Taylor's the same way.

As for Gibson, I got every nickel's worth for my Hummingbird.

I really like Breedlove's as well. Ans though Ovation's have a unique sound, I like it.

Taylor's and Martin just sound too tinny and thin for my taste.

Basically it comes down to forget the price. Find a guitar you like to hear, play, and look at that of course is built well, and you'll get your money's worth over time.

ozshadow
10-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Martin's have at least 4 different neck contours currently made to choose from.

Expect to pay 60% of list. No more.

Nims
10-10-2008, 07:05 PM
I honestly wonder reading this thread how many posters have played more than a few guitars from each of these makers, and in what settings.

It almost seems like people feel that Martin and Taylor are the "expensive" acoustic guitars. Have you played any R. Taylor, Collings, Goodall, Santa Cruz, etc. etc. ?

It feels to me like when you hear someone in their early 20's try an expensive wine and say it "tastes like the $2 bottle from Trader Joe's" Some things take an acquired taste to truly appreciate.

I own a Taylor and Larrivee and would gladly buy them again.

bluezombie
10-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Well I love my handcrafted Yamaha LL500. It's been compared side to side with the Martin D-28.

I actually took it to a shop once and wanted a new guitar, and they said to get something that sounded better than this i'd have to chip in over 2 grand...

I paid 900 for this one (used)