volume pot static noise

PDA

View Full Version : volume pot static noise

necrophilic
09-29-2008, 04:48 AM
ever since i changed my volume pot, rolling up or down the knob produces an abrupt static-like, scratch-like noise, unless i mute the strings.
what's the reason behind this?

jj1565
09-29-2008, 09:04 AM
could be bad solder joints, like if you blow on the solder to cool it.
the pot could be dirty, a pot cleaner with lube can clear that up under, sprayed in the pot.

i dont know if frying the pot (heating it up too much) would make the crakle. or just make it non functioning. i've never managed to fry one, but i guess that falls into shoddy joint work as well.

necrophilic
10-03-2008, 11:54 AM
the pot could be dirty, a pot cleaner with lube can clear that up under, sprayed in the pot.

i dont know if frying the pot (heating it up too much) would make the crakle. or just make it non functioning. i've never managed to fry one, but i guess that falls into shoddy joint work as well.
actually the guitar tech installed a new pot for me. why would a guitar tech blow on solder?

jj1565
10-03-2008, 11:56 AM
haha, guess you could ask him. ;)

sounds like a crappy solder joints or cheap / dirty pot.

jessexxx
10-03-2008, 12:01 PM
sounds like a dirty pot...but your statement about how muting the strings helps has me baffled.

necrophilic
10-03-2008, 12:05 PM
impossible.
it's a new pot. the solder joints look fine.

so what should i do? re-solder everything and if it doesn't work swap a new pot?

Lil Macker
10-03-2008, 12:07 PM
impossible.
it's a new pot. the solder joints look fine.

so what should i do? re-solder everything and if it doesn't work swap a new pot?
Is the solder shiny or dull? If the solder's dull, it's not fine, if it's shiny, then it is.

Just to say, I've seen people do this before, not exactly with guitars, but with other things.

necrophilic
10-03-2008, 12:07 PM
sounds like a dirty pot...but your statement about how muting the strings helps has me baffled.
if it's dirty it should be noisy constantly because the dirt is right there.
touching the strings somehow helps "bypass" the noise. what's that?

necrophilic
10-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Is the solder shiny or dull? If the solder's dull, it's not fine, if it's shiny, then it is.

Just to say, I've seen people do this before, not exactly with guitars, but with other things.
not sure to what degree you call "dull" but the solder joints reflects a certain amount of light.

jj1565
10-03-2008, 12:28 PM
there are a few different things.

there's pot crackle. when you roll the pot you get static.

there's grounding noise. humming that get's louder until you ground the bridge by touching it or the strings, or other metal parts.

the static can also come from a loose output jack wire and/or a bad guitar cable.

so, is it only when you touch the knob? move the guitar? roll the knob? wiggle the cable?

when does it make the noise, exactly?

jj1565
10-03-2008, 12:29 PM
if it's dirty it should be noisy constantly because the dirt is right there.
touching the strings somehow helps "bypass" the noise. what's that?

with a dirty pot , it makes the noise when you roll the knob only.

necrophilic
10-03-2008, 09:28 PM
static noise when i roll the knob fast (regardless of direction). if i roll it real slow there won't be any noise.
more static noise on lead channel than on clean channel.
no static noise if i "ground" the strings or simply hold the tone knob.

no loose/bad/old/wiggly cables. i use only monster cables and they were all bought last year or this.

Led Head
10-03-2008, 09:48 PM
ever since i changed my volume pot, rolling up or down the knob produces an abrupt static-like, scratch-like noise, unless i mute the strings.
what's the reason behind this?

do you happen to use a computer program as your amp (guitar Rig 1,2,3 or something along those lines) cause if so thats probably your problem, i have this exact problem with guitar rig, both my guitars make that exact scratch sort of sound when you adjust them through guitar rig. i know its not my guitars cause one is brand new and all and the other is well kept. So i've tried them on my actual amp and they dont make any noise when you turn them, so its just some sort of over sensitivity with the program or something but if you use a normal amp the problem should be mute, as it were. lol

Philbigtime
10-03-2008, 09:52 PM

Nah, you don't really want to fry the pot - that will definitely make it crackle. Just let it simmer in the butter for 20-30 minutes until the butter turns brown, capiche?

Oh, yeah, I've also seen this problem fixed with one of those compressed air cans like you would use to clean a keyboard.

necrophilic
10-03-2008, 09:54 PM
no computer programs whatsoever.
guitar, pedals. and amp.
meat and potatoes.

necrophilic
10-04-2008, 07:13 AM
bump

Blompcube
10-04-2008, 07:19 AM
sounds like an earthing/grounding issue to me, based on the way it doesn't crackle like that if you're touching the strings. you may not have earthed it properly, or it may be a faulty pot which is damaged inside so it can't be properly earthed.

necrophilic
10-04-2008, 09:18 AM
sounds like an earthing/grounding issue to me, based on the way it doesn't crackle like that if you're touching the strings. you may not have earthed it properly, or it may be a faulty pot which is damaged inside so it can't be properly earthed.
is this related to the amp's and effects' power supply?
because i'm using a mesa/boogie amp and noah's ark power supply, both with american plugs. i use some simple adaptors here in japan, along with a few other electrical appliances but no problem so far.

necrophilic
10-11-2008, 08:44 PM
my apologies. i just found out that muting the strings while turning the knob doesn't actually make the noise go away. i said it does because i had my noise gate turned on. my apologies.
i remember asking the guitar tech why there was a static-like noise and he said it's because the knobs are metal. is it true that conducive knobs make noise?

necrophilic
10-16-2008, 07:01 AM
bump

jj1565
10-16-2008, 08:13 AM
metal knobs dont make noise.

if you touch metal on a guitar that's not grounded. it'll complete the ground and quiet a humming guitar.

necrophilic
10-16-2008, 08:40 AM
ok...
might not be related here but, with the volume knob all the way up, every time i move my hand closer to the selected pickup, noise elevates. and strangely it's noisier on the neck pup's side.
it doesn't happen if i move let's say an eraser closer to the pups.

jj1565
10-16-2008, 08:47 AM
honestly, we've been back and forth on this thread a lot and i'm confused.

if the knob cracks when you roll it, it's the connection at the pot or a bad pot.

if the guitar hums until grounded, it's one of your ground wires.

if it's a single coil and quiets in the 2 or 4 spot, it could also use shielding.

if the guitar is all over the place making noise at different times, it could be a bad guitar cable. try different cable and guitar with a different amp at a different house outlet.

if you use a pedal in front of your amp, take it out of the chain, all pedals and external power plugs can cause buzz.

if your output jack has ever been hand tightened, take off the jack plate, take a look that both wires are still secure to their lugs on the jack.

if you have a dimmer light, fan or computer running in the same room. turn them off or move.

ljohn
10-16-2008, 09:02 AM
I say it is dust in the pot.

The metal brushes slide over dust and recontact making a small click. Lots of bits of dust = lots of clicks and a static noise.

A bad solder would cause other signal problems as well as crackling.

necrophilic
10-16-2008, 09:28 AM
honestly, we've been back and forth on this thread a lot and i'm confused.

if the knob cracks when you roll it, it's the connection at the pot or a bad pot.

if the guitar hums until grounded, it's one of your ground wires.

if it's a single coil and quiets in the 2 or 4 spot, it could also use shielding.

if the guitar is all over the place making noise at different times, it could be a bad guitar cable. try different cable and guitar with a different amp at a different house outlet.

if you use a pedal in front of your amp, take it out of the chain, all pedals and external power plugs can cause buzz.

if your output jack has ever been hand tightened, take off the jack plate, take a look that both wires are still secure to their lugs on the jack.

if you have a dimmer light, fan or computer running in the same room. turn them off or move.
1. sorry, please cool down.
2. most probably true.
3. it hums only when i have my hand resting on the strings above the selected pickup (volume knob maxed).
4. H-S-H configuration.
5. DEFINITELY NOT a cable problem here.
6. now all i have to do is remove the noise gate and compressor. do i have to remove the delay in the effects loop?
7. output jack has never been touched.

necrophilic
10-16-2008, 09:33 AM
I say it is dust in the pot.

The metal brushes slide over dust and recontact making a small click. Lots of bits of dust = lots of clicks and a static noise.

A bad solder would cause other signal problems as well as crackling.
this problem occurred right after the guitar tech changed my volume pot to a different taper. the current one is an ESP pot, but anyway it could be a defect product.
i'll try to re-solder the volume pot myself with a new one and we'll see.

jj1565
10-16-2008, 09:39 AM
1. if you want me to help, please dont me to cool down. it's rude.
i was saying that the thread is confusing. we started with crackle at the knob roll and are moving over to some sort of grounding problem.

2. remove all the effects, you need to go thru trial and error with a noise. but yeah, it's most likely a wiring problem, ground to the selected / buzzing, area.
you're going to need to check wires in the control cavity. if the jack was never touched, then then it probably wont be there. which sucks because checking the jack and bridge wires are the easiest to see.

so look in the control cavity. clean the noisy pot, check for a loos ground.

the reason you remove effects, is because sometimes the noise is a faint grounding loop, made worse by a noisy effect.
so by quieting the other things you can save yourself the hassle of trying to find the bad ground.

necrophilic
10-16-2008, 09:52 AM
so i popped the volume knob and set the pot loose.
how do i clean it?

jj1565
10-16-2008, 10:01 AM
you dont have to loosen it.

go into the control cavity, and where the pot is attached to the wall of the guitar, there should be a hole, or space there. spray pot cleaner with lube into the space while rolling the pot. dont get any on the finish. and leave the guitar off while it dries.

but if the guitar is making noise even when you dont roll the pot, it's not the problem.
or it's not the only problem.
perhaps you have one or more things going on, which is why there's this confusion.

necrophilic
10-16-2008, 10:07 AM
problem now is i don't have this contact cleaner.
do i have to buy a bottle of it just to fix this pot or are there other alternatives?
other oils?

necrophilic
10-16-2008, 10:50 AM
is it ok to spray lubricant like 4WD instead of using the contact cleaner?

jj1565
10-16-2008, 12:25 PM
products like wd-40, can be used instead of pot cleaner with lube.
they usually serve as a quick fix, as the lube attracts dust and in the long run may shorten the life of the pot.
but if the pot isnt working correctly in the first place, is worth a shot.

in addition wd-40 contains silicone and should not be allowed to contact finished parts of the guitar.

edit: just saw your pm. glad it's worked out.

cascaman
03-20-2010, 11:24 PM
First of all, excuse me for my poor english, but I'm from Spain.

I have just bought a new Pacifica 112VM and I have a similar problem.

But it is strange because I have noise when I MOVE the pot (but not roll). When I move up-down, but without rolling it, the pot sounds like cracking. But if I touch the strings, the problem is gone.

First of all, i thougt that the problem seemed to be a dirty or faulty pot, but it is strange that it does't make noise when I only roll it. And because the problem is gone when I touch the strings, I though it could be a grounding problem, but it is strange the way I can make it crackle (not touching the knob... but MOVING it). And it happens the most in the tone pot, and a little in the volume pot

What do you think?

I don't know if try to clean the pot (electronic contact cleaner) or bring the guitar back to the shop.

Thank you all

jj1565
03-21-2010, 10:31 AM
First of all, excuse me for my poor english, but I'm from Spain.

I have just bought a new Pacifica 112VM and I have a similar problem.

But it is strange because I have noise when I MOVE the pot (but not roll). When I move up-down, but without rolling it, the pot sounds like cracking. But if I touch the strings, the problem is gone.

First of all, i thougt that the problem seemed to be a dirty or faulty pot, but it is strange that it does't make noise when I only roll it. And because the problem is gone when I touch the strings, I though it could be a grounding problem, but it is strange the way I can make it crackle (not touching the knob... but MOVING it). And it happens the most in the tone pot, and a little in the volume pot

What do you think?

I don't know if try to clean the pot (electronic contact cleaner) or bring the guitar back to the shop.

Thank you all

one of the ground wires is loose.

cascaman
03-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Today I'll try to see it. Thanks for your opinion 8-)

cascaman
03-21-2010, 04:38 PM
I have been looking inside my guitar. I see nothing extrange. The wires seem to be well soldered. With a polimeter, I have seen that all metallic shells are connected together and correctly connected to the bridge ground cable.

When I move the problematic pot, the back side of the pot doesn't move at all (the axis moves but not the back of the pot), so there is no cable which movement can produce the noise.

However, the buzz noise is there and the crackling noise when I move the pot, too. And both of them are greatly reduced when I touch the strings.

What else can I see? Can be a problem with the sound cable? With the ground of my house's electric installation? With the amplifier?

(I know that I should try my guitar plugged into another amplifier... but I will not be able to do that test in the following days. So, if I could continue with my investigation...it would be nice)

cascaman
03-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Incredible! I have just found that the cube 30x plug HAS NO GROUND PLATE!!!!! It has just the two pins for electric current... but has not the two metallic plates on both sides that are used for grounding in my country.
How is this possible???? I think it is very dangerous (it should be grounded for security reasons) and a problem for grounding sounds like I have. For a well known and quality brand as Roland is, how is it possible that such a device (very sensitive to bad grounded setups and to produce annoying noises) comes with a no-grounded plug?????
How is it possible that I didn't read about this problem when I was investigating about roland amps before buying one of them? If this the plug is not grounded, I suppose that a lot of persons will have the same problem.

For now, I will think that my noise problem I have is because of this, but I will try to connect my guitar to other amp and to connect other guitar to my amp.

senanimach9
08-13-2013, 12:56 AM
Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I'm having a similar issue with my 6505+ 112 Combo. The difference is, in my case, touching the strings does stop the crackle made by turning the volume knob on my guitar. I've even exchanged a newly purchased guitar just to make sure and it happens with the new one too. The sounds are lesser but still present with another guitar using active pups. I dont know what to do.

senanimach9
08-13-2013, 12:58 AM
Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I'm having a similar issue with my 6505+ 112 Combo. The difference is, in my case, touching the strings does stop the crackle made by turning the volume knob on my guitar. I've even exchanged a newly purchased guitar just to make sure and it happens with the new one too. The sounds are lesser but still present with another guitar using active pups. I dont know what to do.

I meant to mention I've tested multiple cables as well as unplugging the fx loop and playing directly into the front of the amp.

jj1565
08-13-2013, 12:37 PM
try the amp in different outlets, in different rooms, and maybe house?

sometimes the house or what's in the room is the issue.

also, they don't like when you bump threads this old.
I don't care, but sometimes it's best to just make a new thread, if this one doesnt have your answer.

good luck.