Ok, so my max speed is...really slow...

PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so my max speed is...really slow...

The.new.guy
10-06-2008, 10:54 PM
My max speed is 40bpm 16th notes. I'm going to start on 1/4 notes instead.

Now, I know people say, "Don't anchor, whatever you do!"

Ok, I understand that. The bad thing is, is that my arm floats now. I get horrible acuraccy with that. Why? Because, my arm starts to get tired and I can't keep it in one spot. This makes it difficult to keep my pick at one depth.

So, I float my arm and when my arm gets tired, I miss strings and dig in...randomly.

Heres my question: What is anchoring? What is classified as anchoring? Can I touch the guitar at all without anchoring? I've tried resting my arm on the bridge but, it gets caught in the saddles on my floyd. Right before the saddle for the 6th string...It's kind of hard to explain that part. Just ask if you need pics.

HighPotency
10-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Anchoring is putting part of your hand on the guitar to relieve tension and get more accuracy. Putting your palm on the bridge or like 3 fingers on the guitar body is bad, although there are plenty of guitarists that say, use their pinky only.

strat0blaster
10-06-2008, 11:00 PM
anchoring is when you brace your hand with your ring/pinky fingers against the body of the guitar. Some guitarists swear it's hindering, others don't.

It's preference. I can pick exceptionally fast while anchored - I find it's helpful NOT to anchor when i'm trem picking strings laterally - or skipping.

z4twenny
10-06-2008, 11:01 PM
anchoring is basically when you plant any part of your hand/forearm on the guitar to hold your hand in place for picking. you can rest your arm on the upper part of the body (everybody does) basically if you have to plant your fingers or the side of your hand firmly against the body to create stability to play then you're anchoring. i say keep playing like you're playing. start playing slower and get used to playing unanchored. all these "problems" you describe. EVERYONE has them when they first start trying to play properly. i noticed you didn't mention how long you've been playing.

Anchoring is putting part of your hand on the guitar to relieve tension and get more accuracy. Putting your palm on the bridge or like 3 fingers on the guitar body is bad, although there are plenty of guitarists that say, use their pinky only.
this is wrong. anchoring creates tension unnecessarily. playing properly creates an absolute minimal amount of tension and resistance. don't listen to the guy suggesting playing anchored, just don't do it. i started getting carpal tunnel because i did that, i had to stop playing anchored after like 10 years or so of playing and start all over.

beetroot10
10-06-2008, 11:11 PM
whats so bad about anchoring?

The.new.guy
10-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Ok, so if I keep playing this way I'll get used to it. Cool!

I have a palm muting problem but, I think I'll check out the palm muting lesson on this site first.

Read Z4twenny's post above yours. You'll see...

z4twenny
10-06-2008, 11:22 PM
it creates tension which can lead to carpal tunnel, aggravate arthritis and i believe it can also lead to tendonitis. you can adapt to playing without it alot quicker than you can with it. you'll get better quicker without it and "plateau" alot higher. i can't think of a reason to promote it having done both.

TS: keep at it but play SLOWLY your picking hand has to get used to pushing through the strings, most beginner type problems come with not being able to handle the resistance from the strings. if you have to do it one down stroke at a time, then thats how you should do it.

Zyzzvya
10-07-2008, 05:06 AM
What if i rest my palm on the bridge lightly while playing, this seems to take away 90% of the tension i create by holding my hand off the guitar?

beetroot10
10-07-2008, 08:07 AM
****pigeon. thats bad. im so use to palm muting.

Freepower
10-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Ok, I understand that. The bad thing is, is that my arm floats now. I get horrible acuraccy with that. Why? Because, my arm starts to get tired and I can't keep it in one spot. This makes it difficult to keep my pick at one depth.

So, I float my arm and when my arm gets tired, I miss strings and dig in...randomly.

Sounds to me like you've made a very large change to your posture and are suffering. The move from anchoring -> non anchoring should be very small - your arm should be no more than a few millimeters from your previous position (providing your previous posture made any sense at all :p: ). Finally, this spastic lack of control is your spastic lack of control.

You have never learned to control your arm because you have been anchoring. You have been using training wheels and now you're falling over. :p:

z4twenny
10-07-2008, 05:27 PM
^ once again FP speaks the gospel.

Myung-trucci
10-07-2008, 06:03 PM
I have some questions-
1. Am I allowed to have my arm rest on the guitar?
2. Is it anchoring when I use the fleshy skin underneath my thumb to mute the strings? I'm not pressing down very hard.

z4twenny
10-07-2008, 06:08 PM
sure you can have your arm rest on the guitar. REST being the operative word. if its pressed firmly up against the body of the guitar i'd begin to wonder if thats anchoring. your arm need to be able to move as needed. if you HAVE to have your arm pressed against the body i would probably call it anchoring. especially if once you moved it an inch off the body you stopped being able to play well.

i don't think i would call using the skin underneath your thumb to mute the strings anchoring.

basically to find out if you're anchoring the best thing you can do is "not play that way" and if you can still play accurately and equally as good as you could before, then its generally safe to say its not anchoring. im wondering how you're holding your pick though if you're using part of your thumb to mute.

a good example using myself is pressing my fingers against the body. sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. it's a hard habit to break after you do it for about 15,000 hours. i try not to but sometimes my hand falls back in the old position. the way i know im not anchoring is that my fingers aren't planted firmly on the guitar. if i remove my fingers from the body i can still play equally as well. hell sometimes my middle,ring and pinky are sticking out with the slight natural curve of a human hand. in the end you need to be able to sense if and where tension is coming from in your hand and reduce/minimize it.

Freepower
10-07-2008, 06:10 PM
1. Yes. 2. No. :)

The4thHorsemen
10-07-2008, 06:13 PM
I'd also like to point out that not anchoring doesn't mean you can't touch the guitar at all. anchoring is when your hand is fixed to one spot on the guitar for stability, which creates tension. To me it seems fine to let your fingers touch the guitar as long as they're not pressed up against it, just let em do whatever they want, relaxed as much as possible while still not fixed in place.

it seems to me that trying to keep from touching the guitar at all will just create even more tension.

z4twenny
10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
I'd also like to point out that not anchoring doesn't mean you can't touch the guitar at all. anchoring is when your hand is fixed to one spot on the guitar for stability, which creates tension. To me it seems fine to let your fingers touch the guitar as long as they're not pressed up against it, just let em do whatever they want, relaxed as much as possible while still not fixed in place.

it seems to me that trying to keep from touching the guitar at all will just create even more tension.

+100

this is dead on. its ok to touch your guitar. just notice when your hand is tense and where it is tense. find out WHY it is tense and fix it.

jackblsdaniels
10-07-2008, 06:22 PM
sure you can have your arm rest on the guitar. REST being the operative word. if its pressed firmly up against the body of the guitar i'd begin to wonder if thats anchoring. your arm need to be able to move as needed. if you HAVE to have your arm pressed against the body i would probably call it anchoring. especially if once you moved it an inch off the body you stopped being able to play well.

i don't think i would call using the skin underneath your thumb to mute the strings anchoring.

basically to find out if you're anchoring the best thing you can do is "not play that way" and if you can still play accurately and equally as good as you could before, then its generally safe to say its not anchoring. im wondering how you're holding your pick though if you're using part of your thumb to mute.

a good example using myself is pressing my fingers against the body. sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. it's a hard habit to break after you do it for about 15,000 hours. i try not to but sometimes my hand falls back in the old position. the way i know im not anchoring is that my fingers aren't planted firmly on the guitar. if i remove my fingers from the body i can still play equally as well. hell sometimes my middle,ring and pinky are sticking out with the slight natural curve of a human hand. in the end you need to be able to sense if and where tension is coming from in your hand and reduce/minimize it.

dude your preaching to the guy and talkin crap at the same time...in our FIRST technique lesson at the guitar institute (which is alternate picking) and our tutor said it doesnt matter if you choose to anchor or not, or where you choose to pick from, as long as you have good posture, and most importantly search for tension in ur body and work on relaxing it then it will be fine

most players pick from the wrist
petrucci
gilbert
vai
etc etc

some players choose to pick from the arm

rusty cooley
zakk wylde (nowadays)

some gys even pick with a circular motion from the thumb and forefinger

malmsteen

they are all proficient players....

petrucci anchors his little finger, most players rest their palm on the bridge (how else are you going to mute lower strings materfully?)

seriously man, do WHATEVER comes naturally, just make sure your relaxed about it

an for the record, i anchor my little finger

Freepower
10-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Anchoring = friction = tension.

Physics. Not music, physics.

Read the sticky. Then come back here, if you will, and give me any reasons for anchoring that I have not already destroyed in the sticky. Thank you.

jackblsdaniels
10-07-2008, 09:35 PM
so one guy says it made him ill? an that makes it law?

i ate a curry once that gave me the shits....you gona stop eating curry?

like i say look at petrucci...hes doin fine

look at martin taylors unorthodox technique...an NOONE can play like him...

infact martin has told me TO anchor...but i guess thats y im at GIT right?

try picking semi quavers at 220 bpm.... tensing up...dam right you are....now do its at 60...easy huh?

guitar players get bogged down in this facade that if they cant do something theyre doing it wrong

speed is a byproduct of accuracy...notice how pettruci, gambale, malmsteen, gilbert, garsed, lane, jarzombek, baxter, goulding infact every guitarist you know an love says that.... thats why theyre somewhere and your still on ultimate guitar flameing some player who was getting there but now feels as tho he has to start all over again because the forum people say so....

you find me one big name who will say DONT ANCHOR IT WILL RUIN YOUR CAREER.... then YOU comeback

@ the new guy

play however is comfortable for you man, just be aware that any form of tension is a bad idea, you should be relaxed, anchoring is your arms way of pivoting, to accent you lower the anchor bringing your pick in more etc its your hands way of feeling where you are without needing to look...an un anchored hand could be anywhere...infact not even ready to hit the strings

just keep the tempo low

soone told van halen he held a pick the "wrong way" or that albert king strung his guitar wrong or jeff healy held it wrong or infact these nuances bought out unique characteristics in their playing

Freepower
10-07-2008, 09:58 PM
so one guy says it made him ill? an that makes it law?

i ate a curry once that gave me the shits....you gona stop eating curry?

You didn't read the sticky, did you?

like i say look at petrucci...hes doin fine

Really? Have you listened to his "super speed picking"? It's mush. He tenses up like hell and presses down really hard on the guitar when playing more than about 12nps.

infact martin has told me TO anchor...but i guess thats y im at GIT right?

It certainly isn't your command of the english language. I guess that's y I teach guitar.

speed is a byproduct of accuracy...notice how pettruci, gambale, malmsteen, gilbert, garsed, lane, jarzombek, baxter, goulding infact every guitarist you know an love says that.... thats why theyre somewhere and your still on ultimate guitar flameing some player who was getting there but now feels as tho he has to start all over again because the forum people say so....

He asked. Secondly, I'm on ultimate guitar because I don't say "Speed is a byproduct of accuracy"? And I'm flaming some player who was getting there? I'm just telling it how it is. Who have I been flaming?

you find me one big name who will say DONT ANCHOR IT WILL RUIN YOUR CAREER.... then YOU comeback

Well, Steve Morse. George Benson. Howard Roberts. Dave Mustaine. Is that one big name or is it four?

Now, you find me a reason for anchoring that does not boil down to it being "more comfortable". Because it's only comfortable because you've practiced that way - nothing about guitar is comfortable for a true beginner.

play however is comfortable for you man, just be aware that any form of tension is a bad idea, you should be relaxed, anchoring is your arms way of pivoting, to accent you lower the anchor bringing your pick in more etc its your hands way of feeling where you are without needing to look...an un anchored hand could be anywhere...infact not even ready to hit the strings

Rebuffed in the sticky I told you to read. It's actually the first link in my sig, if you're lazy.

Rebuffed, by the way, with reason and logic. Not an emotional outburst.

Regarding tension, in what way can anchoring possibly reduce tension? I'm intrigued as to your reasoning.

Finally, for a very loose arm that is very loosely anchored to the guitar, the change from anchored to unanchored is minimal - all that changes is that you loose the friction you had. Removing tension is always a top priority which is why... *drumroll*... I would advocate not anchoring.

Threadstarter! Welcome to the exciting world of making decisions about playing guitar! Evaluate the reasons for each persons point of view. Think for yourself about it, examine the evidence closely, and decide.

Speaking of which, more than 70% of UGers surveyed noticed an improvement in their playing when they stopped anchoring. :)

EDIT: Two things I've noticed - first of all, we've both had Martin Goulding as a teacher. Congrats, the guys a killer teacher and player.

Secondly, you think that GIT and the GI london are the same thing. I suppose that's y you're not in GIT. :haha

z4twenny
10-07-2008, 10:03 PM
^ (to jackblsdaniels) dude i don't know why you're getting so ticked off. i'm giving the guy pretty decent advice and you're just being pissy. btw, i'm not the only person who has gotten (or luckily for me curbed) carpal tunnel as a result of playing with too much tension. do a search on google and i bet you find plenty of listings. to reiterate my main point, if you're playing with no tension then its not anchoring.

subsequently if you THINK you aren't playing with tension, then you remove your finger or whatever from the body of the guitar and that screws up your playing i'd reconsider how you're doing it. btw, you're obviously still young. i didn't start developing CTS till about 3 years ago when i was 25. i had to relearn how to play guitar which i had been doing for about 10 or 11 years at the time, not an easy task but i'm glad i did it. i'm ALOT better now than i was then.

your guitar teacher at GIT is just that, a guitar teacher. if he was a chiropractor and/or specialized in bone/muscles as a dr. he'd probably have a different statement, especially if he had studied how the hand works especially when playing guitar. lastly, he probably can prop a finger against the body of the guitar and get no tension, he can probably also play without that finger on the body of the guitar and it won't affect how he plays.

strat0blaster
10-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Damn. After reading all this, I kinda want Freepower to give me lessons - he could probably really help with my chops - especially for soloing... Seems like a really knowledgable dude - you should heed his advice.

Learning from others' experience is a valuable asset.

z4twenny
10-07-2008, 10:22 PM
^ pls pls pls pls pls for the love of god, listen to FreePower. theres a reason he's a mod, he knows what he's talking about

The.new.guy
10-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Damn. After reading all this, I kinda want Freepower to give me lessons - he could probably really help with my chops - especially for soloing... Seems like a really knowledgable dude - you should heed his advice.

Learning from others' experience is a valuable asset.
Dude, I've wanted lessons from Freepower for a VERY long time. Too bad I don't live where he does. I would be willing to travel 100 mi./week just for lessons with that guy!

Freepower
10-07-2008, 10:33 PM
^ btw, didn't pay these people to say that. I guess that's why I'm on UG "flaming people" so that I can "stop them progressing". :rolleyes:

z4twenny
10-07-2008, 10:35 PM
^ i'm gonna need about three fitty..... :p:

Freepower
10-07-2008, 10:36 PM
'S the goddamn LOCH NESS MONSTAH!

(for those out of the loop, watch more south park, shame on you!)

SilverDark
10-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Everything he just said
:down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: x∞

What he just said is full of godly insight. It is so crazy that I actually had to find the infinity sign just to emphasize it.

Freepower HAS to be the admin of the AT forum.

Please add your rational response about anchoring to the sticky.

And to that dude: Paul Gilbert NEVER anchors. Ever. I know that for a fact.

Freepower
10-07-2008, 11:17 PM
:haha
:haha
:o

Yeah, I'ma probably add Z's posts too.

tona_107
10-07-2008, 11:22 PM
I just noticed that I rest my picking hand just above the strings on the guitar when I'm not strumming chords.
Am I anchoring?

SilverDark
10-07-2008, 11:23 PM
I just noticed that I rest my picking hand just above the strings on the guitar when I'm not strumming chords.
Am I anchoring?
Keyword. Are you pressing hard on the strings? Then no.

tona_107
10-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Keyword. Are you pressing hard on the strings? Then no.
I meant like... Not floating above, as in like the part of your guitar just above where the strings are. So I rest my hand on the guitar, like north of the strings whenever I pick.

Freepower
10-07-2008, 11:37 PM
^ if your hand is stuck in that position - anchoring. Anchored to a point - anchored. Not stuck to a point - unanchored. :) Read the sticky. :)

SilverDark
10-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Do you mean like... On the body of the guitar towards your head? If you don't play, then your resting. If you're doing it while a chord is ringing, I don't see any incentive to do that... If you can show a diagram I think it would be more helpful.

tona_107
10-07-2008, 11:47 PM
^ if your hand is stuck in that position - anchoring. Anchored to a point - anchored. Not stuck to a point - unanchored. :) Read the sticky. :)
Ah, it's weird because I never even noticed that I did it?

Do you mean like... On the body of the guitar towards your head? If you don't play, then your resting. If you're doing it while a chord is ringing, I don't see any incentive to do that... If you can show a diagram I think it would be more helpful.
Yeah, I meant like, k, if you go from the bottom of your guitar to the top, you have the bottom, then you have your pickup selector, tone volume knobs etc, then you have the strings/bridge, then you have where I rest my hand, then you have the top of the guitar
And by "I do it when I don't strum, I meant, I don't do it when I strum chords, but I do it when I pick individual notes.

This sucks I never noticed that I did it. And then I tried to play with my hand floating above the strings and it sucked.
I'm pissed that I have to re learn this cause it's not something I even noticed, my hand just happens to sit there when I'm picking.
I can do scales fine without resting my hand and sweep pick fine, but I can't like arpeggiate chords at all if you know what I mean.

Freepower
10-07-2008, 11:49 PM
^ yeah, anchoring can severely limit your range of motion, depending on how hard you press and where. :)

tona_107
10-07-2008, 11:51 PM
^ yeah, anchoring can severely limit your range of motion, depending on how hard you press and where. :)
Is it bad even though I find I can pick pretty quickly and accurately even with anchoring?

SilverDark
10-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Yes. If you want to re-learn guitar w/o anchoring, practice whatever you do while not anchoring.

And play slowly.

If you play slowly, you can notice and catch yourself anchoring, and the more you catch yourself, the more you tell your brain to not do it, and the more you do that, the more it goes away.

The4thHorsemen
10-08-2008, 12:42 AM
+100

this is dead on. its ok to touch your guitar. just notice when your hand is tense and where it is tense. find out WHY it is tense and fix it.

yay! I feel special!

With myself I'm not really sure if I'm anchoring or not. It seems to me that when I'm playing anywhere from normal speed to fairly fast I'm not anchoring, my fingers may be touching but they're loose and move with my hand: not fixed. But then when I play at high speeds I can't help myself from anchoring, my pinky pushes up against the bottom of the pick-up. It's not a really bad anchor, but it's there and I can't get rid of it!

oh well, more practice for me I guess.

Helpy Helperton
10-08-2008, 08:41 AM
I noticed myself anchoring when finger picking, I anchored my pinky to the body of the guitar. Now I noticed this a long time ago before I started getting into theory and the do's and don't do's of guitar. I wondered from watching vids of myself playing "why do I need to have my finger there?", decided to do something to stop it and am very happy I did. True it set my progress back slightly but in the long run I would rather take one back step followed by 2 steps forward to improve my technique. Finger picking now feels more comfortable with a floating hand than it did while anchored, I can say from experience that there is a great deal of tension created by anchoring and i'm super glad to be rid of it.

I was lucky when it came to using a pick because I remembered this lesson from fingerpicking and started out not anchoring. It does seem to me that the people who suggest anchoring are the ones who can't be annoyed to change their own technique for the better, these people should not be teaching others to play. Learn from people who are willing to assess their own technique, those are true musicians and teachers (because they learn as well as teach)

TheShred201
10-08-2008, 10:53 AM
try picking semi quavers at 220 bpm.... tensing up...dam right you are

On a side note even though FP already pretty much destroyed your post, to answer this, no, not really. Try again.

se012101
10-08-2008, 01:38 PM
^ same here. I have to warm up to it a bit, but 16ths at 220 is no problem for me, tension wise. I have some trouble if there is string skipping at that speed, but if its all on adjacent strings it's no prob if I'm in the mood. And I dont anchor.

Zaphod_Beeblebr
10-08-2008, 02:59 PM
But then when I play at high speeds I can't help myself from anchoring, my pinky pushes up against the bottom of the pick-up. It's not a really bad anchor, but it's there and I can't get rid of it!

Any anchor is bad and you can get rid of it you're just not playing slowly enough, slow down more!

rastametal
10-08-2008, 05:25 PM
can any one tell me some songs that are pretty easy and like basic...

im a beginner but im tryin to pick up some good songs so ya, help me out...

feel free to message me or w/e, pce =]

Gacel
10-08-2008, 05:29 PM
^ same here. I have to warm up to it a bit, but 16ths at 220 is no problem for me, tension wise. I have some trouble if there is string skipping at that speed, but if its all on adjacent strings it's no prob if I'm in the mood. And I dont anchor.

16ths at 220 ... wtf ... /DROOL!!!!

Retro Rocker
10-08-2008, 05:37 PM
16ths at 220 ... wtf ... /DROOL!!!!
It's not as hard as it sounds.
Actually, thats the whole point; it ISN'T hard to do because there's hardly any tension.

z4twenny
10-08-2008, 05:48 PM
^ thats about 13.75 nps if my calcs are correct. i'd call that the absolute limit of my playing. if i had to go any faster i probably would start getting tense, i'd probably also start playing sloppy too. realistically if you're playing that fast with or without distortion its going to sound more like a single long note instead of individual notes. i personally would rather play a little slower than that and have the each individual note be audible.

Any anchor is bad and you can get rid of it you're just not playing slowly enough, slow down more!
this is so true. i felt like a f#cking retard when i had to start all over a couple years back. it drove me NUTS, i actually remember thinking to myself "god i'm awful, i'm never going to sound like i did before i keep going this unanchored route" i was really REALLY discouraged about it for about a month cuz i kept trying and kept trying and fixing 10 years worth of f#ck ups isn't a quick task. LUCKILY i had the tenacity and after about 6 months i got about back to where i was. i had to slow down to mind numbing slow speed and i was literally picking through one string over and over and once i was a little comfy with that i would try to alt pick it super slowly. however now i'm considerably cleaner and i believe even a bit quicker than i was before (removing tension has that affect)

The.new.guy
10-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Is it bad even though I find I can pick pretty quickly and accurately even with anchoring?
Yes.

If you have to anchor, you don't have any real control.

EX. When you started riding a bike, you couldn't balance, right? You used training wheels. Anchoring is like the training wheels. The difference here is, you can't really learn anything from anchoring except how to hurt yourself.

I'm sure that was a pretty bad example but, I know I get the gist of it.

P.S. THANKS FOR STEALING MY THREAD! :mad:

Nahh I'm kidding. I don't mind, I got my answer.

Zaphod_Beeblebr
10-08-2008, 06:18 PM
^ thats about 13.75 nps if my calcs are correct.

14.6 by my reckoning...

Unfortunately as yet I can only reach about 13nps on a good day.

Freepower
10-08-2008, 06:21 PM
All you guys are faster than me, lol. :o

Still, it's amazing that you can repair and surpass 10 years worth of playing in 6 months. Almost nothing in the long run. :)

Zaphod_Beeblebr
10-08-2008, 06:28 PM

Ignoring speed you probably surpass most of us technically though and musically you certainly kick my ass (IMHO). And you own a Schecter 007 so you're automatically cooler than me, music aside.

Freepower
10-08-2008, 06:34 PM
^ I just can't pick those mad speeds. Recently got up to about 11nps and now I'ma just working on following chord tones, playing drums and bass, learning covers for teaching... etc etc. I can legato some of the notes if I need to, that's what 9/10 of my fast playing is. :)

Zaphod_Beeblebr
10-08-2008, 06:49 PM
^ I just can't pick those mad speeds. Recently got up to about 11nps and now I'ma just working on following chord tones, playing drums and bass, learning covers for teaching... etc etc. I can legato some of the notes if I need to, that's what 9/10 of my fast playing is. :)

Well if we're including legato runs in this thing then my tops bump up to about 14 nps and further if you include tapping and stupid crud like that :p:

Either way I meant things like finger independence, economy of motion and all that stuff, you kick my ass at that at least.

z4twenny
10-08-2008, 07:49 PM

Still, it's amazing that you can repair and surpass 10 years worth of playing in 6 months. Almost nothing in the long run. :)

well i rarely if ever play at that kinda speed though. if i do its more for a "sustained note" effect than the premise of individual notes, if you start running up a scale (or moving up or down) with distortion on it almost sounds like a sin wave fluctuating pitch which is cool but lame if you do it on every song.

and believe me, those 6 months worth of playing felt like 10 years. im still pissed that i didn't know about it way back when cuz y'know even 10 years from now i won't be good enough for me :p:

Retro Rocker
10-08-2008, 08:16 PM
cuz y'know even 10 years from now i won't be good enough for me :p:
No serious musician will ever be good enough for themselves :p:

se012101
10-08-2008, 08:25 PM
The amazing thing for me was that I went from pretty fast to really fast in less than a year. At the time I recorded that silly slayer cover on my profile (about 14 months ago), I'd max out at about 180 bpm in 16ths (12 nps), maybe 190 on a good day. And there was plenty of tension. In literally 8 or 9 months I went from that to being able to manage 16th notes at 260, though I do have some tension when I try to do that. I had been playing for a long time before that, so I guess I had a good base to build on, but you really can improve your speed that much if you really work on your technique.

But honestly, thats not where my focus is these days. Maybe once every 2 months I'll be in the mood and turn the amp up pretty loud, and go into maximum kill people mode. It is kind of a rush, but it's very limiting. When improvising, there just isn't time to be that creative, and everything returns to pure muscle memory mode, just stock patterns that I've been playing for years.
To me, what is really impressive is people that can pull off amazing sh*t at a moderately fast but not crazy tempo like 150 bpm, maybe with just the occasional 16th note triplet flurry. So working towards that is where all my energy is spent these days. Basically, I realized that getting to the point where you have some raw speed is just the beginning.

Freepower
10-08-2008, 08:32 PM
^ yep, that's the kind of stuff I'm trying to get down atm. I think we've a few years head of us :p: . That's a seriously impressive 9 months of progress, btw, how much were you practicing?

se012101
10-08-2008, 08:54 PM
^ I was probably averaging about 2 hrs/day over that year. Kind of hard to say for sure, because there were stretches where I'd play a lot more than that, and a few "weekend warrior" stretches.
I did a lot of exercises, but the main one was 20 mins of chromatics (the variant where you start the 1234 on a different finger on each string) at the beginning of every practice. That really helped me keep my fingers close to the fretboard, and gave me a good volume of steady picking each day. That and really sticking to the habit of starting every lick at 40% or less speed, and working it up through multiple tempos until it was just a bit out of my comfort zone.

I say it was 9 months or so, but it really didn't happen like that. Basically, I had a tension wall at 180-190 bpm. As I worked on it, first there were cracks in the wall, like a day where suddenly I "got" it, and was able to go quite a bit faster. Then the next day the wall was back. Over time as I worked on it, the good days become more frequent, until eventually the good technique locked in, and bam! The wall was gone. Or at least that version of it.

fixationdarknes
10-09-2008, 02:20 AM
Oh yeah? Well I can lick my elbow. BEAT THAT.

Retro Rocker
10-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Oh yeah? Well I can lick my elbow. BEAT THAT.
I can lick your elbow too :confused:

public property
10-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I can lick my knee, coolest lick ever.