disadvantages of an Agathis body

PDA

View Full Version : disadvantages of an Agathis body

daryle_goh
10-08-2008, 06:35 AM
i'm considering purchasing a guitar that has an Agathis body. Now, what are the disadvantages of an Agathis body?

I'm not going to say what model it is, because that's not neccessary. i just need to know the disadvantages of this wood.

any help will be appreciated! thanks!

georgakis187
10-08-2008, 06:49 AM
what model is it?:D seriously then we can tell u if its worth the money and stuff cause yeah...sucky wood but maybe with actives u could get somewhere...so yeah:D model?

unininium
10-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Agathis is pretty similar to mahogany (its cheaper and lower qulaity though), BC Rich used to ave a description of it on thier site but I cant find it now. Warmoth have a good description of differant woods:

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

gab4554
10-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Well the disadvantages its a low quality wood. The advantages is that if you need fire wood, its a good wood for a fire.

daryle_goh
10-08-2008, 07:17 AM
what model is it?:D seriously then we can tell u if its worth the money and stuff cause yeah...sucky wood but maybe with actives u could get somewhere...so yeah:D model?

haha. alright alright. i'll say. it's the ESP EX-50 (http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPEX50). i actually made another thread about this model. only that my question was different.

snouta
10-08-2008, 07:23 AM
dont know if it helps but the guy from atreyu plays on of these in the lip gloss and black video

new_kirk_hammet
10-08-2008, 07:36 AM
its really good to keep warm in winter..

TheQuailman
10-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Agathis is NOT necessarily a bad wood - just like mahogany is not always good. It can be used as a tonewood, but it's tonal qualities are to a big extent determined by the way it's been dried. If done correctly, it is suitable for guitars that are not beginner's stuff, if done wrongly, it's not good for anything.
It is used in cheap guitars because these are being produced in the far east, where the agathis tree grows.

So agathis is not necessarily bad, but cheap ESP guitars usually are, so I'd stay away from them.

georgakis187
10-08-2008, 09:12 AM
jsut get somehting better...in that range(300ish) u can get better guitars...the jackson js30 series although not perfect, kicks the shit out of lower end ltds.

daryle_goh
10-08-2008, 09:55 AM
jsut get somehting better...in that range(300ish) u can get better guitars...the jackson js30 series although not perfect, kicks the shit out of lower end ltds.

i agree. but my main reason for getting the explorer is for.... its looks man. i know it's completely noob-like to choose looks over substance but... dam just look at that body. would you say no?

georgakis187
10-08-2008, 09:57 AM
try the epiphones..at least they are mahogany..and u can always upgrade the pickups!

daryle_goh
10-08-2008, 10:01 AM
try the epiphones..at least they are mahogany..and u can always upgrade the pickups!

yes. that's my intention. if i get something that is over 300US, the cost of upgrading the hardware added to that will not be worth it for me.

That's why i didn't want to tell you guys the model name! :p: just wanted to know about the wood.

Slayerdeath
10-08-2008, 12:16 PM
just get the LTD EX-400, OMG that is an amazing guitar.

I used to have a BC Rich Warlock with an Agathis body, had a floyd and i put EMG`s in it with a gain booster, it was an amazing guitar, i never had any problems with it, and sounded alittle darker then the EX 400, but through a Marshall JCM 900 it sounded amazing. i only sold it to upgrade to the Wartribe

mogar
10-08-2008, 12:50 PM
My m-255 is made of agathis. It may not be the best tone wood (no real "best" anyway), but it sounds great to my ears. There's always going to be some critic out there that says "this sucks and this is better", so take everything people have to say with a grain of salt. IMO, the best judge of a tone wood and its quality is your own ears. If you pick up a guitar that sounds great, feels great, and is affordable; buy it, because that is the guitar for you.

Punk_Ninja
10-08-2008, 01:41 PM
I thought the new 50-250 were basswood now? (well it is on the M and MH series I believe).

Anyway, I find low end agathis sounds much better with high gain, so if you don't play clean much then it may be good, but for a similar price, the Epiphone explorer may be a bit of a better purchase for all round playing.

gab4554
10-08-2008, 06:51 PM
dont know if it helps but the guy from atreyu plays on of these in the lip gloss and black video

yea but He taped his guitar with green tape and put EMGs on it. that was more for having a " cheap custom" guitar lol. He just wanted to have a green guitar with good pickups. I dont think he recorded stuff with it. More a "live" guitar

metaligeologist
10-08-2008, 09:07 PM
dude the only way to get away with an agathis body ( or parts ) is to have a neck thru body guitar with agathis wings. ltd make lots of neck thru body guitars at a cheap price, see f and mh series. my mh250nt is lovely. wouldnt look at any ex series, their necks are unbalanced and nose heavy.

ltd mh250

neck thru
25.5" scale
put emg 81 and 60 in
put planet waves locking tuners in
tonepro bridge,

cant go wrong for a combined 500usd? can you

Lunchbox362
10-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Crap, my Ibanez Rg120 is agathis........... CVrap. Will it make a difference in tone if I change the pickups, tro get a fuller sound, like fat, not like a flat sound.

SGStrummer61
10-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Personally, I have found lower end LTDs to be fine, you get what you pay for, and thats a cheap decent guitar that won't break the bank if your break it. But anyways, agathis is not a bad wood, as ALL tone is subjective, no matter what. Like for example, there are a ton of people who love Clif Burton's solos and whatnot, but personally, I think he had one of the shittiest tones ever.

ljohn
10-08-2008, 11:14 PM
/\ Yes.

There has been some sense in this thread at least. I have an agathis squier and love the thing. There's nothing wrong with it.

The first teles and esquires were made from pine, simply because of availability. Plywood is puching it, but any wood can have desirable and undesirable qualities. I want to try and make a guitar out of jarrah one day, to see what it's like.

daryle_goh
10-09-2008, 05:44 AM
haha alright. most of my question has been answered.

but no one has talked about this: does it ding easily? does it take abuse well? it's definitely weaker (in terms of strength literally) than mahogany. but compared to other woods? say... basswood? is it softer than that?

Punk_Ninja
10-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Basswood is a VERY soft wood, my agathis guitar is long gone so I've forgotten how it holds up, but can say you'll be fine unless you plan on throwing it at walls an awful lot.

Brian Krashpad
10-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Well the disadvantages its a low quality wood. The advantages is that if you need fire wood, its a good wood for a fire.

Agathis is not "low quality" any more than alder or mahogany is "low quality." You can find crappy wood of any species. It's simply in greater supply than mahogany, so it's cheaper. It sounds very similar to mahogany.

Aside from having to hear dumb-ass firewood jokes, the only disavantage is that it can be very heavy.

It's not quite as abuse-proof as mahogany, but way better than basswood in that regard.

Gnomestar
10-09-2008, 08:27 AM
my first guitar is agathis and too this day i still like that guitar, i find that it's brighter than mahogany adn at high gain settings it has soem real bite, so yeh if u just want a cheap guitar that you cna thrash around adn rock hard on then i say there is nothign wrong with agathis

EDIT: of course only speakign from personal experience but my agathis guitar has been though hell, its crashed into the wall a million times adn even took a trip down the stairs once... hardly a ding on it, it seems hardy enough so i wouldnt worry

synestershadows
12-02-2008, 12:53 AM
haha. alright alright. i'll say. it's the ESP EX-50 (http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPEX50). i actually made another thread about this model. only that my question was different.
the ex-400 has a mahogany body and it has better pickups, imo.

jimm, ey?
01-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I have a cort action-a with an agathis body. When I slap my forearm rests on the top of the body above the pickups, this causes a the body to have a small shiny patch from grease(?). Mum said just keep rubbing it with a tissue or something but I have no avail. Can anyone help me? How do I clean it without rubbing the vanish off?

nexteyenate
01-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Body woods will have little effect on your amplified tone. I wouldn't worry about it.

dannyalcatraz
01-05-2009, 12:07 AM
With a budget limited to $300, I'd try a Malden Stiger:

http://www.maldenguitars.com/stiger.htm

From what I understand, its body is maple & mahogany, and like the higher priced guitars in the Malden line, its been getting good reviews.

El CumanÚs
01-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Body woods will have little effect on your amplified tone. I wouldn't worry about it.

+1.

The "Red Special" of Brian May was built of a 19th century fireplace wood and you can't deny it has a sweet tone.

Ippon
01-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Agathis is NOT necessarily a bad wood - just like mahogany is not always good. It can be used as a tonewood, but it's tonal qualities are to a big extent determined by the way it's been dried. If done correctly, it is suitable for guitars that are not beginner's stuff, if done wrongly, it's not good for anything.
It is used in cheap guitars because these are being produced in the far east, where the agathis tree grows.

So agathis is not necessarily bad, but cheap ESP guitars usually are, so I'd stay away from them.I agree about the first part. Agathis got its bad rep from manufacturers who churned out poorly-made, cheap guitars. For example, there are Squier Standards made of Agathis and after some tweaking with the set-up, can slay through a nice tube amp.

I'd audition a bunch of that inexpensive ESP-LTD through an amp similar to yours and choose the one that plays the best for you. PUs are inexpensive upgrades anyway and if the neck feels great, go for it.

For that price though, I'd go for a used Ibanez RG7321 or RG321MH ... ~$200 usually.

:cheers:

Mitochondria9
01-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Im seriously considering the MH-250NT because its a neckthrough, and it just looks gorgeous.

a7marshal
03-30-2012, 12:03 AM
There are a lot of opinions floating around about tonewood properties. I have a squier tele that sounds better to me than the alder american standard that I played the other day. I'm not 100 % sure it's agathis, but I believe it is--fairly straight grain, and pretty light.

It is worth looking at the physical properties of wood so they can be compared. Here is one site that gives the numbers. These are averages, of course, but they tell something about each wood variety--light vs heavy, etc.

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/show_numerical.php?wood=Agathis%20moorei

Darkdevil725
03-30-2012, 12:11 AM
I had a warlock made of agathis, it actually sounded really good. With a pickup upgrade im sure it would have sounded amazing.

Spaztikko
03-30-2012, 12:13 AM
bro. remember the rule of ltd - 400 series and up.

trashedlostfdup
03-30-2012, 12:19 AM
its not the most desirable wood, however its not that due to the wood itself.

it comes on cheaper guitars, therefore either time or quality is compromised to make a cheap guitar cheap.

they aren't going to take much care in drying and matching the right pieces together on a $200-$300 guitar, thats what makes agathis worse than the wood itself.

again i mentioned it a few days ago on here the body of the guitar probably is 10% of your tone, with the rest being pickups, pedals, amp, etc.

i also mentioned a squier and a shecter that i sanded down all the way to refinish (a few years ago), both had around a dozen pieces of wood, often looking like some pieces of the wood appeared to be a different grain, and in the schecter i found a knot the size of a quarter.

you get what you get. more money does not always mean better, but from a respectable company (most out there), the right corners are cut to keep that guitar at $300 instead of $1000

Darkdevil725
03-30-2012, 12:21 AM
bro. remember the rule of ltd - 400 series and up.
I remember that its complete bull***t

T00DEEPBLUE
03-30-2012, 12:28 AM
/nobody realizes that this thread is 4 years old.

op4blushift
03-30-2012, 12:29 AM
My main guitar (squier tele custom 2) is made of agathis, and it sounds fine. It seems to with hold abuse pretty well, although I don't go to crazy on my guitars. It is a little heavy though.

Darkdevil725
03-30-2012, 12:36 AM
/nobody realizes that this thread is 4 years old.
Didnt even notice. :haha:

Captaincranky
03-30-2012, 12:48 AM
+1.

The "Red Special" of Brian May was built of a 19th century fireplace wood and you can't deny it has a sweet tone.The only trouble with that analog is the fact that during the 19th century, any one of a number of now hard to find domestic hardwoods, could have found their way onto the firewood pile.

Happens to this day. I suppose any species that's fouling a power line could be declared a "nuisance".

Sadly, not every piece of lumber that could be a guitar, gets made into one.

dazza027
03-30-2012, 06:41 AM
I was under the impression that Ply was one of the better even though cheap materials because its got so much glue in it keeping it more rigid. I have a 20 dollar POS plywood shitter guitar and it sounds ok for what it is

monwobobbo
03-30-2012, 11:28 AM

So agathis is not necessarily bad, but cheap ESP guitars usually are, so I'd stay away from them.

this pretty much. i did extensive research on agathis a while back and like any wood there are good cuts and crap cuts. mahogany is no different there are crappier varieties and great ones. new woods are almost always tried out by guitar makers on cheap guitars. the people who tend to buy them usually aren't to savy to the whole wood thing. back in the early 80s basswood was used on cheapies and of course the high end guitar snobs called it crap. then guys like steve vai and joe satriani started to use it and now it's considered to be a valid tone wood for guitars. keep in mind that the names used for woods are often a generic one. there are over 20 varieteis of agathis and mahogany. some varieties are going to be better for guitars than others.

Captaincranky
03-30-2012, 01:12 PM
I was under the impression that Ply was one of the better even though cheap materials because its got so much glue in it keeping it more rigid. I have a 20 dollar POS plywood shitter guitar and it sounds ok for what it isWell, it's really not that simple. We're here in solid body electric land, and that statement is a lot more valid here, than in relation to an acoustic guitar. Acoustics start to "come alive" as soon as the soundboard is made of solid wood. For the better guitars, it's most often Sitka Spruce, or the, (possibly), better sounding "Englemann" Spruce".

Laminate, (or plywood if you prefer) acoustics, do stay in tune quite well, but only sound their best when plugged in. (Ironic, I know). (Plywood is more dimensionally stable than a solid wood).

With that said, there are a couple of acoustics out there which aren't even wood. IE, the Ovation "Adama", and The Rainsong guitars.

http://www.pantheonguitars.com/tonewoods.htm That should add some additional "resonance" to this discussion about woods. Yeah it's about acoustic tone woods, but some of that carries over to electrics.

notryt
06-11-2013, 04:34 AM
pickups and technique have far more impact than the wood.... Geez aluminum guitars sound good in the right players hands... I like the sound of agathis...sounds to me like alder.. and as someone else mentioned jackson guitars use it. I think its even in some Agiles..

T00DEEPBLUE
06-11-2013, 06:38 AM
I've already said it once in this thread. STOP BUMPING IT!!