reccomend me a band

PDA

View Full Version : reccomend me a band

dreamtheater111
10-11-2008, 07:47 PM
that sounds like SymX with lots of musical complexity.

i'm in love with odd time signatures, complex note timings, basically anything that i will not be able to cover because of mental limitations.

i enjoy bands like tool and DT, but i don't know enough good prog whose singer doesn't sound like a fag.

(short and sweet)

Zaphod_Beeblebr
10-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Redemption.

Froboarder
10-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Make your own.

ironBLSmaiden
10-11-2008, 07:58 PM
i was gonna say rush until the sounds like a fag part :(
personally, rush is my favorite band so if you can get past the voice, they're really good. the vocals don't even bother me anymore i'm used to them. also you'll never be able to cover any of their non-mainstream songs because they're long, they change patterns every 2 seconds, and it's almost impossible to find a drummer as good as neil peart

RedDeath9
10-11-2008, 08:45 PM
I made this list for another rec thread, might as well post it here. I removed a few bands that didn't really fit in with what you wanted.

Behold... The Arctopus (might be a bit to hectic)
Spastic Ink (hectic, not as incoherent as B... TA though.)
Aghora
Arcturus
Atheist (tech death, kinda proggy at times)
Ayreon (cluster**** of genres, with lots of guest musicians on every album)
Blotted Science (Same guitarist as Spastic Ink)
Devin Townsend
Gordian Knot
Nevermore (Prog metal. Get This Godless Endeavor, now.)
Opeth (a must listen)
Porcupine Tree (must listen)
Riverside (straight-up prog rock, similar to Porcupine Tree)
Spiral Architect (kinda hectic, not as hectic as Spastic Ink or BTA though. Actually have noticeable song structures.:p: )
Wintersun (folk/prog/melodic metal)
The Black Mages
Andromeda
Anubis Gate
Pain of Salvation (Get The Perfect Element pt. I, now)

dreamtheater111
10-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Behold... The Arctopus - lol i saw a video and thought, this would be good without as many tritones.
Spastic Ink - pretty good
Aghora - nice creepy sound
Arcturus - strong proggy sound, really good, heavy bass drum sound, odd-sounding vocals, sounds like peewee herman... tres bien almost mathy sounding
Atheist - already know them, pretty decent
Ayreon - saw the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtAhlPcdh9c folky sounding, like the vocals
Blotted Science - pretty good as well
Devin Townsend - not really my stalllllll
Gordian Knot - tres bien
Nevermore - already know them I<3 broderick
Opeth - already know and love
Porcupine Tree - already know and love
Riverside - too slow sounding for me
Spiral Architect - listened to insect, really good band. exceptionally good bassist.
Wintersun - very power metal-ish, good band, though, sounds like raphsody, cept with different vocals
The Black Mages - from FF VII right? i think they did some of the back music
Andromeda - listened to in the deepest of waters, very thrashy proggy sound. very good
Anubis Gate - tres bien sound amazingly like symx
Pain of Salvation - okay band, not the one for me.

i think i'm going to listen more to godian know, wintersun, andromeda, blotted science, and anubis gate especially.

thanks so much for this you've helped a lot.

dreamtheater111
10-11-2008, 11:21 PM
so thanks everyone, specially reddeath

/thread.

Quintessence153
10-12-2008, 01:44 AM
For one with a lot of stylistic similarity to Symphony X, go for Circus Maximus.

Also, Ayreon is worth looking into further. Michael Romeo and Russell Allen actually appear on the song "Dawn of a Million Souls" on the album Universal Migrator, Pt. 2. I think that the song "Chaos" on the same album will align with your tastes. If you like Ayreon, don't pass up Arjen Lucassen's other projects, like Star One.

Avantasia is somewhat similar to Ayreon.

Shadow Gallery might tickle your fancy. Tyranny is a good starting point.

Crystal Empire is a lesser known act, and their material is often hard to find, but I think you'd enjoy The Masquerade Ball if you got your hands on it. The vocals are iffy here and there, and the production could be better, but the band is solid overall.

Savatage, the precursor to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, did pretty well with Gutter Ballet and The Hall of the Mountain King. They might be more power than prog, but I suspect you could appreciate that.

If you like Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment, definitely go for Slow Tension.

sgreenhalgh
10-13-2008, 07:28 PM
For one with a lot of stylistic similarity to Symphony X, go for Circus Maximus.

Also, Ayreon is worth looking into further. Michael Romeo and Russell Allen actually appear on the song "Dawn of a Million Souls" on the album Universal Migrator, Pt. 2. I think that the song "Chaos" on the same album will align with your tastes. If you like Ayreon, don't pass up Arjen Lucassen's other projects, like Star One.

Avantasia is somewhat similar to Ayreon.

Shadow Gallery might tickle your fancy. Tyranny is a good starting point.

Crystal Empire is a lesser known act, and their material is often hard to find, but I think you'd enjoy The Masquerade Ball if you got your hands on it. The vocals are iffy here and there, and the production could be better, but the band is solid overall.

Savatage, the precursor to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, did pretty well with Gutter Ballet and The Hall of the Mountain King. They might be more power than prog, but I suspect you could appreciate that.

If you like Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment, definitely go for Slow Tension.

Circus Maximus are great. I love the guitar's on both their albums. It have some form of death metal influences, which i think sounds great over dream theater and symphony x. Plus i think i like the vocals better than Labrie!