dropping a class in college? anybody drop a class before?

PDA

View Full Version : dropping a class in college? anybody drop a class before?

stefan1988
10-12-2008, 11:44 PM
im doing bad in a class and im thinking about dropping it. i never dropped a class before so i dont know what to expect

i have a few questions before i drop it

do i still show up to class when i drop the class? do i have to ask professor something before i drop class?

withdrawing from a class does it affect the gpa?
will i receive less financial help because i drop a class ?

any help is appreciated i know i should ask my financial aid advisor but the place is always crowded and i never have the time :p:

freedoms_stain
10-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Well, when I was at uni each class was worth a certain amount of credits, if you didn't have enough credits you couldn't get into the next year.

lefty2086
10-12-2008, 11:48 PM
theres no point of going to the class if youre dropping it. just go to your advisor and you'll have to fill out a form. it wont effect your gpa. as far as financial aid, idk. you'll have to talk to the financial aid office about that.

Matt in Jerzey
10-12-2008, 11:48 PM
I believe if you drop the class before a certain point and have a passing grade currently it is recorded as "withdraw passing". You can also get a portion of the tuition back in most cases before a given date. Check with the registrar.

caught22
10-12-2008, 11:49 PM
why dont you just do better in the class? You probably need the credits...

sigur_ros6
10-12-2008, 11:50 PM
all that really depends on the college you are attending.

i am currently attending UCSB and I dropped philosophy this quarter. All I had to do was go online and click drop class, and I didn't have to continue to show up or contact the professor. It could affect your financial aid, if you are no longer considered a full time student after dropping the class and no it will not effect your gpa. Every college has a certain time in which you must drop a class as well. for example within like the first 2 weeks, once again every school will have different guidelines for these. Hope i was some help, but there are definitely going to be some variances depending on what school you are attending. good luck

shadowsoldier08
10-12-2008, 11:56 PM
it probably depends on the policy at each school, but there is usally a certain period after school starts when u can drop a class and get a refund and it doesnt hurt your gpa, after that, you have to worry about getting marked for a withdrawal for the class and losing the tuition you paid

TheHobbit
10-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Talk to the professor first, it would be rude not to.

burndttoast
10-12-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm with Matt in Jerzy on this one. At my school, you have a month (I think) before you can drop without it showing up on your transcript. Otherwise, if you drop after the date, it'll show up as a W on your transcripts. I'm not sure if it'll go away if you retake the class though. But the W won't hurt your GPA, it just looks bad. If you're past the date, I'd try to salvage what I can, and if I end up failing, then just retake it and ace it the next time around. They'll see that you ****ed up, but it'll look like you learned that shit good.

stefan1988
10-12-2008, 11:59 PM
all that really depends on the college you are attending.

i am currently attending UCSB and I dropped philosophy this quarter. All I had to do was go online and click drop class, and I didn't have to continue to show up or contact the professor. It could affect your financial aid, if you are no longer considered a full time student after dropping the class and no it will not effect your gpa. Every college has a certain time in which you must drop a class as well. for example within like the first 2 weeks, once again every school will have different guidelines for these. Hope i was some help, but there are definitely going to be some variances depending on what school you are attending. good luck

so far you are the one that is closest to my current situation

do i just click drop class online or do i have to do something else besides that like fill out the paper like the other guy recommened?

this are the classes im taking
enc1102 3 credits
cda1403c 3 credits
mac1147 5 credits
pem1131 3 credits
cop1000c 3 credits

total of 16 credits

i know a full time studen is 12 credits but lets say if anything happens if i make up for the credits next semester there is no proble like that right?

moody07747
10-13-2008, 12:00 AM
Ive dropped a few classes before, mostly because I could not stand the teacher's ways of going about teaching the class...most of them are extremely boring and will put me to sleep...

Then there's others who you wonder how they got into teaching because it seems they don't know what the heck they are doing...

do i still show up to class when i drop the class? do i have to ask professor something before i drop class?

No once you drop you dont have to go...you can but most people don't...

Sometimes you may have to see a counselor to get the paperwork to all go though and they may suggest you talk to the teacher before dropping to make sure there isnt anything they can do before you stop going to their class...

withdrawing from a class does it affect the gpa?
will i receive less financial help because i drop a class ?

I'm not sure on the financial stuff, you have to look into that yourself as it varies im sure. but no you should not effect your GPA by dropping a class, if you fail it will impact you though.

Depending on what date you drop the class will depend on how much, (if at all) you get back for your tuition bill...
For my college its a full return before the class, after about 2 weeks or so you get partial refund, and after a few more weeks there isnt a refund.

I actually don't have the schedule of that in front of me for my school so I am just posting numbers out the of the blue for this example. If you are at the last two weeks of class there's usually a dropout cutoff meaning you cant drop a class.

I'm sure it varies from school to school though so check with a counselor.

sigur_ros6
10-13-2008, 12:18 AM
sorry it took me so long to respond. my computer froze up twice.

all i had to do was click online to drop my class, however i dropped mine within the first week. So just find out if the period to drop your classes is up, if it is then you won't be able to drop your class, and it will hurt your gpa. if it is still within the drop period, just click drop online. oh and you have more than enough credits to drop a class so don't worry about that, your financial aid would still be the same.

i know it is a pain to go to see your advisor, and it takes forever, but in this case it may pay off to go see your advisor. hopefully everything will work out ok. take care bro