replacement neck for strat( 21 or 22 frets)

PDA

View Full Version : replacement neck for strat( 21 or 22 frets)

brandooon
10-16-2008, 01:02 AM
I have a 21 fret neck on my squier.
i want to replace the neck for a better one, but would it be okay to put on a 22 fret neck and adjust the intonation from there?

also, is the wilkinson licensed vintage trem good?

chip46
10-16-2008, 01:27 AM
You can put a 22 fret neck on and it shouldn't make a difference, the pickups are spaced to allow ample room for that kind of thing. 24 frets would be a different story though. You're going to want to take the guitar and get it setup when it's all done though. Chances are the neck will have some fretbuzz or something wrong with it since it hasn't been intonated with your guitar yet. I'm not sure on the Wilkinson, but I think I've heard good things about them.

brandooon
10-18-2008, 05:08 AM
so a 21 and 22 fret neck can be interchanged by changing intonation but a 24 fret strat neck is too much of a change?

chip46
10-18-2008, 11:25 AM
No no. If you change the neck on the guitar chances are it's going to have to be intonated and set-up, or at least that's what I would do no matter what. You'd be surprised how much of a difference a set-up can be to a guitar's playability.

To your other question, what I'm saying is on a 22 fret neck the fretboard actually sticks out over the body of the guitar, out past the neck. On a 21 fret neck the fretboard and neck itself are smooth at the end with each other. So on a 24 fret neck the fretboard may stick out too far and cover up/not fit because the pickups will get in the way. That is unless the neck scale is longer to accomodate for the extra frets and the fretboard doesn't hang off as much. It's up to you to do your research.

ML_Guitar09
10-18-2008, 12:44 PM
I got a stewmac neck (22 fret) for my strat and it fit great. Just needed to drill the holes and put tuners on, of course. The 22cd fret overhangs and fits over the pickguard, so I believe I did have to set the intonation again, but just barely.

You coudl have a 24 fret (25.5) neck made for you, and have the 22-24 frets extend from the neck, but that means no neck pickup and upper fret reach wont be great anyway.

Roc8995
10-18-2008, 12:59 PM
As long as the scale length is the same as your old neck you can use 21 or 22.

Wilkinson trems are good as long as you don't get it from guitarfetish.

chip46
10-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Edit: posted in wrong thread.