Progarchives.com

PDA

View Full Version : Progarchives.com

towk667
10-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Has anyone else checked out this site? I get on this site practically every day.... This site has lists of any kind of prog albums you could be looking for....

And why is prog grouped with 80s rock and shred? That's kind of insulting.... Progressive music needs its own forum....

GooGooFluffers
10-17-2008, 08:48 AM
you sayin' 80's rock is bad???

seymour_jackson
10-17-2008, 09:49 AM
i would say some 80s rock have some prog elements and gave birth to some prog bands. the prolly grouped it together because they thought it wouldnt have that many contributors, to the forums.

ohh how wrong they were!

Andrewbiles
10-17-2008, 10:55 AM
^ It was one of the quieter forums for years.
Don't know the reasoning behind grouping them together, but I don't think it's a bad combination. The CR forum doesn't mind most prog bands either.

Progarchives is a fantastic resource, have used it many a time but often to find out what others think of an album I've just fallen in love with rather than to search around for new albums to get.

towk667
10-19-2008, 12:12 PM
i would say some 80s rock have some prog elements and gave birth to some prog bands. the prolly grouped it together because they thought it wouldnt have that many contributors, to the forums.

ohh how wrong they were!

prog almost died in the 80s due to the punk movement and because all the big names in the prog scene of the 70s simplified their music... yeah there were a few bands around but it wasn't like the 70s.... and it wasn't until the very late 80s and early 90s that prog really came back with bands like dream theater, spocks beard, and porcupine tree...

jcasey77
10-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Progarchives is a fantastic site, I especially like the built in media player (listened to my first VDGG on it). And I too wonder why prog is grouped with 80's and shred. can why change this?

darkenn
10-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Progarchives is a great site, great way to check out some bands that don't get as much recognition as others.

Haunt3dAng3l
11-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Progarchives is an awesome site. Discovered lots of great lesser known bands via that site.

MikeFairbrother
11-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Progarchives.com is a pretty decent site for the genre. I do not agree with a lot of the reviews, however, critiquing an album is subjective anyway. What is great about the site is that they make the best attempt at leaving no stone unturned with providing up to date info and content. Definitely a frequented site of mine.