Anyone Know How To Get Synyster Gates` Tone?? =/

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know How To Get Synyster Gates` Tone?? =/

SynysterSlash
10-17-2008, 01:49 AM
i dont know about you but im in love with Synyster Gates` tone. Its just awesome to me. But i dont know how to get it =/

ive heard its one of the harder tones to get in modern rock so if anyone has any ideas shoot them at me!

please? =/ and if you know any scales or effects he may use let me know!

strat0blaster
10-17-2008, 01:52 AM
Outside of the obvious, most of the tone comes from a player's hands, man.

So the answer here is obvious - you gotta chop off his hands and have them stitched onto your wrists.

Hadeed
10-17-2008, 01:53 AM
all i know is he has an invader pickup... i have a feeling he has 2 invades, one bridge and one neck.... for some reason I have a feeling he has some unnecessarily large and stupid mesa setup.

mikeyElite
10-17-2008, 01:53 AM
his tone is pretty horrid IMO. but anyway...get a bogner.

SynysterSlash
10-17-2008, 01:55 AM
Hahaha
i wish that was possible.
But i mean, on the Live in the LBC DVD there are some shots where you can see his board and he has the Boss SuperOverdrive and 2 other boxes but i cant make them out =[

thepagesaretorn
10-17-2008, 01:55 AM
wrap your speaker with loads of tinfoil and run the mids to nothing, get a cheap guitar with a floyd and use a cheap FAB distortion pedal =]

...or get a bogner and something with invaders. your choice.

dayzofdesire
10-17-2008, 01:59 AM
take a massive shit ^_^

kckyle
10-17-2008, 02:02 AM
i think getting a metalzone should solve the problem, and ofcourse a high output humbucker

SynysterSlash
10-17-2008, 02:05 AM
a metal zone? i was gonna buy that but i asked the guy at guitar center this same question and he said "OH MAN THE DS-1 CAN GET ANY TONE!!!"

so i bought the DS-1.....

and i have the syn standard which has detonators so idk if those are "high output" or not. i never really understand the whole "high output" thing =/

axenoob
10-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Very high treble, if your amp has treble boost use it. Kill the mids, get yourself invader pickups as everyone else has mentioned, bogner amp (good luck affording one), get his guitar, start practicing on articulating every note then speed it up gradually. Yeah. The dude has been playing since he was like 5 (probably) so good luck man. I really mean it.

Bottle of Dirt
10-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Outside of the obvious, most of the tone comes from a player's hands, man.

So the answer here is obvious - you gotta chop off his hands and have them stitched onto your wrists.

Time to call up the Robot Devil...

nick_b
10-17-2008, 02:10 AM
high gain setup, pretty compressed, a slight chorus effect
bass - 7 Middle - 4 Treble - 7 (Rhythm)
bass - 5 Middle - 6 Treble - 6 (lead)

Dark_Merlin
10-17-2008, 02:10 AM
i think getting a metalzone should solve the problem, and ofcourse a high output humbucker

Ok, as much as youre all bagging on his tone, its not like its run through a metalzone :rolleyes:

Unfortunately i dont have much advice for you, mess with your eq and gain alot until you find what you like

axenoob
10-17-2008, 02:11 AM
I love his tone!

SynysterSlash
10-17-2008, 02:13 AM
high gain setup, pretty compressed, a slight chorus effect
bass - 7 Middle - 4 Treble - 7 (Rhythm)
bass - 5 Middle - 6 Treble - 6 (lead)

yeah, ive read his amp settings through a magazine, i just forgot which one. but i want his cutting lead tone like on "Dancing Dead" during the chorus.

mikeyElite
10-17-2008, 02:14 AM
yeah, ive read his amp settings through a magazine, i just forgot which one. but i want his cutting lead tone like on "Dancing Dead" during the chorus.

what amp do you have ?

SynysterSlash
10-17-2008, 02:16 AM
what amp do you have ?

a crappy ****in marshall MG50DFX =[
yeah make fun of me...i already know.

kaiser_bill
10-17-2008, 02:20 AM
work on your image rather than tone :p:

SynysterSlash
10-17-2008, 02:22 AM
why do you say that?

kaiser_bill
10-17-2008, 02:25 AM
why do you say that?

lol...you don't see the joke?

SynysterSlash
10-17-2008, 02:26 AM
lol...you don't see the joke?

lol yeah i do.
whatever, i gotta work with what i got.

kaiser_bill
10-17-2008, 02:29 AM
maybe you should work on YOUR tone?

like...picture in your head a guitar tone better than any other, better than Kyle Gass', better than Dave Gilmour's, better than Yngwie's...picture that tone as YOURS about say ten years from now...

if you work on that, you will be able to truly fulfil yourself...

imagination is the key

Survivalism
10-17-2008, 02:30 AM
Hahaha
i wish that was possible.
But i mean, on the Live in the LBC DVD there are some shots where you can see his board and he has the Boss SuperOverdrive and 2 other boxes but i cant make them out =[

If I had to guess, I'd say he has the SD-1, a CS-3 Compressor, an Ibanez Tube Screamer, and an NS-2 Noise Suppressor, as well as the Seymour Duncan SFX-01 Pickup Booster, and a Frantone the Sweet Distortion, run through a Bogner Uberschall amp with the Bogner Uberkab 4x12 cab, and a Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier with the 4x12 Recto Cab, and he plays his custom Schecter guitars with Ernie Ball skinny top, heavy bottom strings and Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0 MM picks.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synyster_Gates#Effects_Units (It's amazing what one split-second internet search will unveil.)

SynysterSlash
10-17-2008, 02:31 AM
MY tone would be a mix of Gates and John Frusciante and thats pretty much borderline impossible lol

SynysterSlash
10-17-2008, 02:32 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say he has the SD-1, a CS-3 Compressor, an Ibanez Tube Screamer, and an NS-2 Noise Suppressor, as well as the Seymour Duncan SFX-01 Pickup Booster, and a Frantone the Sweet Distortion, run through a Bogner Uberschall amp with the Bogner Uberkab 4x12 cab, and a Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier with the 4x12 Recto Cab, and he plays his custom Schecter guitars with Ernie Ball skinny top, heavy bottom strings and Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0 MM picks.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synyster_Gates#Effects_Units (It's amazing what one split-second internet search will unveil.)

ive checked wiki and the time after i saw his equipment, it was totally different.

kaiser_bill
10-17-2008, 02:33 AM
MY tone would be a mix of Gates and John Frusciante and thats pretty much borderline impossible lol

nothing is impossible...

the truly awesome guitarists do what the rest of us think is impossible...not just with technique and such, but with the sounds they imagine and then transfer to guitar...
just look at D Gilmour's guitarwork...

anyway...maybe you could work on a Fru/Gates tone? just to try it?

it might be hard but it wouldn't be impossible

Survivalism
10-17-2008, 02:34 AM
ive checked wiki and the time after i saw his equipment, it was totally different.

How do you know if you can't tell what the pedals were?

SynysterSlash
10-17-2008, 02:37 AM
How do you know if you can't tell what the pedals were?

i mean when i saw his equipment list on the wiki page. i remember checking the list again and it was different.

SynysterSlash
10-17-2008, 02:41 AM
nothing is impossible...

the truly awesome guitarists do what the rest of us think is impossible...not just with technique and such, but with the sounds they imagine and then transfer to guitar...
just look at D Gilmour's guitarwork...

anyway...maybe you could work on a Fru/Gates tone? just to try it?

it might be hard but it wouldn't be impossible

i mean, the only resemblance in tone between the 2 that ive heard would be the Readymade solo by fru. so i suppose its not impossible. ill have to work on it. thanks though, i really appreciate it

Darkice
10-17-2008, 02:42 AM
invaders got a really amazing tone great pups

kaiser_bill
10-17-2008, 02:48 AM
i mean, the only resemblance in tone between the 2 that ive heard would be the Readymade solo by fru. so i suppose its not impossible. ill have to work on it. thanks though, i really appreciate it

even more, i appreciate the fact that you're ope-minded enough to consider it.

so, tone is a creation of your fingers more than your gear, your fingers are agents of your mind and creativity, and that is fed by listening to music and such. You've just gotta buy into Fru and Gates and whoever else equally and do what seems natural.

p.s.
my own personal tone comes more from reading Stephen King and watching horror movies than from buying gear :)

Rockn'rolldad
10-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Time to call up the Robot Devil...

Classic

mcrfobtai
10-25-2008, 09:49 PM
his tone is pretty horrid IMO. but anyway...get a bogner.
+1
He uses a Bogner Uberschall with Invader pups I think. But his tone is still pretty crap

HLrocker
10-25-2008, 09:51 PM
What tone, the old good tone, or the new mediocre tone?

mcrfobtai
10-25-2008, 09:55 PM
What tone, the old good tone, or the new mediocre tone?
I thought all his tones were pretty bad but I think he uses that gear now. I don't know, I'm not really an A7X fan. In fact I don't really like them at all. Google is your friend

stradivari310
10-25-2008, 10:25 PM
invaders got a really amazing tone great pups
On what planet?

Synyster's tone is a perfect example that a good amp and studio EQ'ing will NOT always lead to good tone.

bjovi400
10-25-2008, 10:33 PM
First, you need to be Synyster Gates.

Second, you need a Bogner Uberschall.

Third, you need a mahogany bodied guitar, with Seymour Duncan Invaders.

and Nick_b, the lead tone you have there is off. Syn's lead tone has the treble on 22, :haha, its incredibly bright

Kivarenn82
10-25-2008, 10:35 PM
a studio engineer running his exact setup.

time to write some letters.