Benefits & Risks of Coiled Cables

PDA

View Full Version : Benefits & Risks of Coiled Cables

steely8383
10-28-2008, 01:18 AM
So I really like the look and sound of coiled cables, but I have heard bad things about them. I was talking to a guy at a local small guitar shop about them, and he said they are unreliable and fizz out quickly. At first I believed him, but I got home and saw reviews for the one I wanted (Vox coil cable) and they all seemed very positive. Now I'm thinking that the guy told me all of that just because he didn't have any coiled cables in his store and wanted me to get one of his straight ones.

So basically, is anyone here experienced with coiled cables? I would really prefer one to a straight cable, but it I'd actually be worse off as far as reliability goes, then it's not worth it to me.

Thanks for any responses :cheers:

imgooley
10-28-2008, 01:19 AM
I like coiled cables.

Slovak_Ghost
10-28-2008, 01:24 AM
I just think they are more of a pain in the ass... cause if they get tangled up... its a pain to deal with

wyldething
10-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Generally, the longer the cable the longer the delay between guitar and amp, which means that the sound can sometimes become muddy when you are playing with a band. But to any non-audiophile it should be to faint to notice.

You should be fine, although like stated above, they are a pain to uncoil

Stickymongoose
10-28-2008, 01:32 AM
It's quite possible that the only coiled cables the store owner had tried were just cheaply made ones. Hardly anyone stocks most of the nicer brands in coiled types for some reason. If you order some online, though, there's no reason they'd be any less dependable than straight cables, maybe more so because they don't get tangled as easy.

steely8383
10-28-2008, 01:35 AM
thanks for all the replies. I'll go for the vox because it seems very sturdy and well made. On top of that, it comes with all parts covered for a year if anything goes wrong.
I appreciate the help :cheers:

Kivarenn82
10-28-2008, 01:43 AM
i find coily cables noisy, like when they spring around, they create some kind of static. straight ones will do this too, but its just more so on the coilers.

although i will say that i had this one coiled guitar cable from radioshack. it lasted about 6 years.. i only thru it out last year just because i was sick of having it around lol

The Real Ming
10-28-2008, 06:39 AM
I have a Fender Koil. It takes some treble off of your tone. When it moves around, you can hear some static. You can't hear it if you are playing though. I tried a Vox coil cable and it did the same thing.

The remark about delaying your signal is hogwash.

MrCarrot
10-28-2008, 06:59 AM
yeah it takes treble off your tone. It doesn't delay your signal at all, that's ridiculous, unless the speed of electricity in a guitar cable can be measured in human terms.

They're good for real vintage enthusiasts. If you're trying to nail any particular vintage artist's tone (SRV, Rory Gallagher etc) you should get one just for accuracy's sake IMO. But if not, then just stick with plain.

guitardudedon
10-28-2008, 07:24 AM
I use a coiled cable everyday matter of a fact its over a year old and not a single problem yet! if im playing and the phone rings or i wanna move somewhere else its no problem But they do get tangles i guess from moving around but if it happens i just unplug and let it spin back with slight tug on cable not enough to lift it off the ground and it untagles itself now my cable is about 6 foot long and will stretch to 20 feet! works for me is about all i can say!

Fama
10-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Generally, the longer the cable the longer the delay between guitar and amp, which means that the sound can sometimes become muddy when you are playing with a band. But to any non-audiophile it should be to faint to notice.

You should be fine, although like stated above, they are a pain to uncoil

Now that's just bs, there is delay - yes, but it's impossible for humans to notice. The signal travels at about 2,998*10^8m/s, so the delay is not very big.