Steven Wilson - Insurgentes

PDA

View Full Version : Steven Wilson - Insurgentes

This End Up
10-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, No-Man) has a new solo album coming out soon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krtkPF1OpOU I saw a few friendly faces in that video, i.e. Mikael Akerfeldt. Sounds epic, does it not?

Spoony_Bard
10-29-2008, 11:44 PM
This sounds cool, but my question is, doesn't Steven write all the parts for Porcupine Tree and most of his other bands too? This sounds just like PT. Shouldn't he just combine all his bands under one name?

This End Up
10-29-2008, 11:47 PM
This sounds cool, but my question is, doesn't Steven write all the parts for Porcupine Tree and most of his other bands too? This sounds just like PT. Shouldn't he just combine all his bands under one name?
Ha. He write nearly everything in Porcupine Tree, and splits it up with his partner in Blackfield, and only the music in No-Man. I thought the same thing, but judging by the sound of the few leaks I've heard of the new album, it's quite different. I suppose that man is capable of anything though.

Spoony_Bard
10-29-2008, 11:55 PM
I'll trust what you say...after all, all I've heard of Steven's solo album is...well...what you just posted, haha. But yeah, it is all good music. I'm in the process of acquiring all of PT's stuff right now.

chinnie
12-22-2008, 08:32 AM

But I guess different Bands mean different Moods and Mindsetd..
I guess it's best if it's this way

Quark Soup
12-22-2008, 02:51 PM
I preordered the album yesterday. I got the link to download the tracks and I must say, the album is damn good. I can hear hints of all his other projects but the overall atmosphere and mood is totally different. Good stuff, I highly recommend giving it a listen.

soulflyV
12-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Venenno Para Las Hadas sounds oddly similar to a certain Porcupine Tree track.

I think Steven Wilson may have lost the skyline on his musical creativity. Stepped right off the map, you could say.

Phaustho
12-27-2008, 02:02 PM
I've heard that too, but I don't know which PT song is the one you talk about, soulflyV.

By the way, I've also preordered "Insurgentes" and I got the download link too... and I love it. It's amazing, and I don't think it's as similar to Porcupine Tree albums as some might say: the tracks are more experimental and less metal.

My favorite tracks are "Harmony Korine", "Significant other", "Only child" and two tracks from the 2CD deluxe edition, "Puncture Wound" and "Port Rubicon" (I got these two from another place, not through the link).

See you!

Snailking
12-27-2008, 09:06 PM
I think that Insurgentes is a great album. Definitely in my top 3 of 2008. I feel that it is somehow a mix of everything that Steven Wilson has done. It is quite special and surprisingly original. Not many artists in 2008 can achieve such individuality when it comes to their music. Steven Wilson just mixes everything up, making it sound very new and individual. In the end, his broad array of inspiration amounts to another great album. I would expect nothing else from Mr. Wilson.

Phaustho
12-27-2008, 10:43 PM
I think that Insurgentes is a great album. Definitely in my top 3 of 2008. I feel that it is somehow a mix of everything that Steven Wilson has done. It is quite special and surprisingly original. Not many artists in 2008 can achieve such individuality when it comes to their music. Steven Wilson just mixes everything up, making it sound very new and individual. In the end, his broad array of inspiration amounts to another great album. I would expect nothing else from Mr. Wilson.

I totally agree with you: the sound he creates in "Insurgentes" is very new and individual. It's true that he makes it combining lots of things he has done before, but Wilson knows how to transform old methods and techniques into new songs.

soulflyV
12-28-2008, 03:26 AM
I've heard that too, but I don't know which PT song is the one you talk about, soulflyV.

By the way, I've also preordered "Insurgentes" and I got the download link too... and I love it. It's amazing, and I don't think it's as similar to Porcupine Tree albums as some might say: the tracks are more experimental and less metal.

My favorite tracks are "Harmony Korine", "Significant other", "Only child" and two tracks from the 2CD deluxe edition, "Puncture Wound" and "Port Rubicon" (I got these two from another place, not through the link).

See you!

The main part of the song uses the same chord progression as The Sky Moves Sideways Phase 1, at the bit where Steven sings "We lost the skyline..."

Also, my definite favourite is Harmony Korine. It is just epic.

Phaustho
12-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Yes indeed, epic.

"The Sky moves sideways" is one of the albums I still haven't listened to because I'm going to buy a physical copy of it and I want to discover the songs when I get the album... It may sound strange, but that's how I work with my favorite bands' discographies: I download some of the albums, then I buy those I haven't heard and finally I get them all.

soulflyV
12-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Yes indeed, epic.

"The Sky moves sideways" is one of the albums I still haven't listened to because I'm going to buy a physical copy of it and I want to discover the songs when I get the album... It may sound strange, but that's how I work with my favorite bands' discographies: I download some of the albums, then I buy those I haven't heard and finally I get them all.

Yeah that's the same with me. The whole experience kind of feels tainted, I guess, if I just listen to an album downloaded off the net.

Phaustho
12-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah that's the same with me. The whole experience kind of feels tainted, I guess, if I just listen to an album downloaded off the net.

Hum, I thought what I do was strange... Nice to know it's not, :D

I recently got "Lightbulb sun" (the new 2CD edition) as a Xmas present, but I'll buy "The sky moves sideways" soon, that's for sure.

See you!

princess piggy
12-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Hrm. Sounds pretty similar to porcupine trees other stuff. Blegh

flamencogod
12-29-2008, 02:49 AM
to me (a big steve wilson fan) the album isn't half as good as a regular PT album. He should have made it a lot shorter, keeping the best songs on it.

towk667
12-29-2008, 03:37 AM
reminds me of the new cynic album... not that heavy though.... would like to hear some more though.....

Phaustho
12-29-2008, 09:58 AM
to me (a big steve wilson fan) the album isn't half as good as a regular PT album. He should have made it a lot shorter, keeping the best songs on it.

How come a big SW fan doesn't really like the album? I mean, it doesn't matter if it's not your favorite album (it's not mine either), but I think you shouldn't compare it with Porcupine Tree because... they're different things. "Insurgentes" is more like an alternative album, it has nothing to do with the actual prog metal sound form PT (maybe some tracks can be compared with the albums of the delirium era, but that's all)...

Well, that's just my opinion, I know, but I'm also a big Steven Wilson fan...

flamencogod
12-29-2008, 01:59 PM
"Insurgentes" is more like an alternative album, it has nothing to do with the actual prog metal sound form PT (maybe some tracks can be compared with the albums of the delirium era, but that's all)...

oh I know PT and his solo album are different but of course there are a lot of simmilarities, not all PT songs are prog metal (actually quite a few songs are beatle-esque popsong). Overall the album fall within the same genre to me.

I still don't think the album lives up to anything else steve has written in the past.

edit: steve wilson even turn down a inventation to feature on the new ayreon album because he believed it was to progmetal for him.

soulflyV
12-29-2008, 09:03 PM
oh I know PT and his solo album are different but of course there are a lot of simmilarities, not all PT songs are prog metal (actually quite a few songs are beatle-esque popsong). Overall the album fall within the same genre to me.

I still don't think the album lives up to anything else steve has written in the past.

edit: steve wilson even turn down a inventation to feature on the new ayreon album because he believed it was to progmetal for him.

Whatwhat!?

That sucks :(

flamencogod
12-30-2008, 01:01 PM
yeah, I'll get that magazine with the ayreon interview where I got that from...

Steve believes his music is just great but too progressive for his tastes.

destijl
03-02-2009, 03:53 PM
ive heard the whole thing, harmony korine is the only PT like one on there, the rest of em are quite experimental

Xplozive
03-03-2009, 02:20 AM
I ordered it on JB Hi Fi Online and it comes signed by Steven Wilson. Can't wait till I receive it :D