i'm looking for guitarists that sound similar to...

PDA

View Full Version : i'm looking for guitarists that sound similar to...

C.C. Deville
11-01-2008, 01:04 PM
greg howe or guthrie govan like playing. I have pretty much every Howe album and I have erotic cakes and I need more of this music are there any good guitarists out there with similar style?

MulanoSG
11-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Paul Gilbert, Jason Becker, Tony MacAlpine, Marty Friedman, Uli Jon Roth, Ritchie Blackmore, and Vinnie Moore. Most of which are slightly more Neo-Classical (Uli Roth, Vinnie Moore, Marty Friedman.) but Tony and Jason have alot of Jazzy stuff. Paul Gilbert does everything.

C.C. Deville
11-01-2008, 07:01 PM
lol.... definitely not what i was talking about, I'm aware of all of those guys and hardly any of them are really similar to howe or govan...

ZylitoL
11-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Lol @ Friedman neo-classical...outside of Cacophony, hardly any of his stuff is neo-classical.

Al Di Meola, maybe? Less shreddy but that's all I could think of. Closer to Howe than Guthrie. And the guy has a shit load of stuff released so you'll have a lot to work with.

EDIT: How did I forget Frank Gambale? Get Live! and Great Explorers.

C.C. Deville
11-01-2008, 07:08 PM
haha yeah as a side note to friedman my fav album is loudspeaker ;). I'll check out Al, i've heard of him but never taken the time to listen to him

ZylitoL
11-01-2008, 07:10 PM
How did I forget Frank Gambale? Get Live! and Great Explorers.

Great Explorers is his most Vai n' Satch album, but with more jazz fusion influence obviously. Would definitely crack my top 10 shred albums for sure.

C.C. Deville
11-01-2008, 07:18 PM
yeah ive listened toa couple of franks albums i couldnt really get into them I found them too boring =/

ZylitoL
11-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Did you listen to The Great Explorers?

Zaphod_Beeblebr
11-01-2008, 07:23 PM
greg howe or guthrie govan like playing. I have pretty much every Howe album and I have erotic cakes and I need more of this music are there any good guitarists out there with similar style?

Well firstly see if you can get hold of the GPS album "Window to the Soul", Guthrie plays guitar on it and although it's more of a rock context than Erotic Cakes it's still very much his style; the band was basically put together when the classic Asia lineup reformed and Govan, Payne and Schellen got kicked out of the band.

Secondly, for other artists, you should definitely check out Allan Holdsworth at the very least and a lot of Steve Vai, Guthrie has very similar phrasing to Vai.

ZylitoL
11-01-2008, 07:29 PM
I might check out Holdsworth as well. Youtube me his signature (or one of) songs? Something that people identify Allan with the way For the Love of God is to Vai.

I assume CC knows about Steve already, lol.

Zaphod_Beeblebr
11-01-2008, 07:36 PM
I assume CC knows about Steve already, lol.

I assume all kinds of things :rolleyes:

Nah, seriously though, lots of people know about Vai and have heard his signature songs but don't really look any further than Passion and Warfare. I say everyone should check out Sex and Religion and Real Illusions at the very least, if not move on to Fire Garden as well. Besides, if you're looking for people who sound like Guthrie then going to the source of his phrasing is always a good idea :p:

C.C. Deville
11-01-2008, 07:40 PM
i have vai's whole discography lol... I dont really like holdsworth that much either he bores me =/ and yeah i've heard great explorers

Zaphod_Beeblebr
11-01-2008, 08:21 PM
i have vai's whole discography lol... I dont really like holdsworth that much either he bores me =/ and yeah i've heard great explorers

In which case - GPS dude, it's a great album.

ZylitoL
11-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Ehh then Di Meola might also bore ya.

Led man32
11-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Have you heard Gambales albums with stu hamm and steve smith? To me they are much better than his solo albums. Maybe some tribal tech (scott henderson) or some Ritchie Kotsen stuff.

MulanoSG
11-02-2008, 12:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML5fGL47DwU

Alot of Tony's stuff in CAB is incredibly Jazzy. VERY similair to Guthrie and Howe.

When I said Marty was Neo-classical I meant from his Cacophony stuff and things from the Dragon Mistress album..

And im sorry if I started listing unrelated guitarists that you were familiar with. :D

Zaphod_Beeblebr
11-02-2008, 10:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML5fGL47DwU

Alot of Tony's stuff in CAB is incredibly Jazzy. VERY similair to Guthrie and Howe.

That is awesome! I have to get some of this stuff.

sock_demon
11-03-2008, 04:01 PM
How did I forget Frank Gambale? Get Live! and Great Explorers.

Great Explorers is his most Vai n' Satch album, but with more jazz fusion influence obviously. Would definitely crack my top 10 shred albums for sure.

Gambale is very similar....

Out on a limb here... but maybe Pat Metheny, although he's less shred and more jazz.

DaFjory
11-04-2008, 01:07 AM
I know I've blasted him in the past (mainly due his debut album being so sucky), but try some of Richie Kotzen's albums. If you're looking for Howe-ish stuff, be sure to check out The Inner Galactic Fusion Experience. Also, I assume you've listened to the 2 collaboration albums, Tilt and Project, made by Howe and Kotzen?

Then, just as a long shot, try Jennifer Batten's 3 albums. If it's a Howe-ish playing style you're after, definitely give Tribal Rage a listen. She has a great fusion-esque vibe on it, with 7 long-ass songs (and some insane legato licks, just like Howe). AVOID her most recent album Whatever first, though. It's way too weird and similar to Jeff Beck's recent electronica forays. Leave it 'til last if you happen to like her other work.

Finally, even though he's not so much fusion as straight ahead instrumental rock, you might still want to give Steve Morse a try - namely StressFest and Structural Damage. That man can seriously GROOVE!

Hope that helps. I'm a nut with this stuff.

Resiliance
11-04-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm a little disappointed in the recommendations given, to be honest... Not a lot of really similar players in there, if you ask me.

First few that pop in to my mind that I think you'd like are Brett Garsed (Big Sky, stuff with T.J. Helmerich, Uncle Moe's Space Ranch), Mike Stern (Upside Downside, These Times), Joel Hoekstra (all), Cosmosquad, Michael Landau, Bozzio Levin Stevens (Situation Dangerous), Prashant Aswani (Howe clone :p: ), Richard Hallebeek, Scott Henderson, you could have a go at Wayne Krantz and see how much you like it, and dare I mention Shawn Lane's more consonant stuff?

DaFjory
11-04-2008, 08:19 PM
^ Well mine were a whole lot better than the generic 2nd post, at the very least. :p:

And yes, Garsed with that liquid razor-sharp tone of his is an absolute must. Big Sky is a damn good album, but I was actually very disappointed with the Helmerich collaborations - Quid Pro Quo and Exempt - instead of being technique-ridden fusion fests with jaw-dropping acrobatics (I can't hear any of that famous 2-handed tapping...?), they bored me stuff! And the singing is absolutely dire.

Resiliance
11-04-2008, 10:34 PM
^ Well mine were a whole lot better than the generic 2nd post, at the very least. :p:

And yes, Garsed with that liquid razor-sharp tone of his is an absolute must. Big Sky is a damn good album, but I was actually very disappointed with the Helmerich collaborations - Quid Pro Quo and Exempt - instead of being technique-ridden fusion fests with jaw-dropping acrobatics (I can't hear any of that famous 2-handed tapping...?), they bored me stuff! And the singing is absolutely dire.

Can't comment on Exempt, but I'm quite fond of Quid Pro Quo myself. And Uncle Moe's Space Ranch itself being another collaboration with T.J. I thought I'd venture and put that in there.

If you can't hear any tapping on Quid Pro Quo you're screwed, by the way :p:

Led man32
11-04-2008, 10:54 PM
You could check out the Mark Varney Project

DaFjory
11-04-2008, 10:55 PM
If you can't hear any tapping on Quid Pro Quo you're screwed, by the way :p:

Well sure, bursts of it, but I wanted to hear some genuinely crazy shit - entire songs filled with the stuff... long passages... weird intervals... Planet X prequels... anything cool. But after all the anticipation I had of finding, downloading and listening to it, I just find the whole thing to be a sappy, generic, standard instrumental rock borefest from start to finish. There's no energy unlike Big Sky, which is very Erotic Cakes-ish (they both 'rock').

Resiliance
11-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Well sure, bursts of it, but I wanted to hear some genuinely crazy shit - entire songs filled with the stuff... long passages... weird intervals... Planet X prequels... anything cool. But after all the anticipation I had of finding, downloading and listening to it, I just find the whole thing to be a sappy, generic, standard instrumental rock borefest from start to finish. There's no energy unlike Big Sky, which is very Erotic Cakes-ish (they both 'rock').

Man... Entire songs filled with that stuff would totally suck :p: I guess it explains why I've never heard a Planet X song I liked.

DaFjory
11-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Oh you're just impossible to deal with. Incorrigible (encouragable?), even. :peace:

public property
11-05-2008, 12:35 PM
The planet X with holdsworth is purely divine, feels like a dance listening to them.

DaFjory
11-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Ah, Quantum. That's my favourite, just ahead of MoonBabies. I much prefer them to LTE - the whole 'spacey' thing is right up my alley.

So to the OP, try Planet X.

Colton165
12-15-2008, 10:15 PM
I know I've blasted him in the past (mainly due his debut album being so sucky), but try some of Richie Kotzen's albums. If you're looking for Howe-ish stuff, be sure to check out The Inner Galactic Fusion Experience. Also, I assume you've listened to the 2 collaboration albums, Tilt and Project, made by Howe and Kotzen?

Then, just as a long shot, try Jennifer Batten's 3 albums. If it's a Howe-ish playing style you're after, definitely give Tribal Rage a listen. She has a great fusion-esque vibe on it, with 7 long-ass songs (and some insane legato licks, just like Howe). AVOID her most recent album Whatever first, though. It's way too weird and similar to Jeff Beck's recent electronica forays. Leave it 'til last if you happen to like her other work.

Finally, even though he's not so much fusion as straight ahead instrumental rock, you might still want to give Steve Morse a try - namely StressFest and Structural Damage. That man can seriously GROOVE!

Hope that helps. I'm a nut with this stuff.
heck yes, Morse is the man!

also, give his stuff from the 70s a listen when he was in the Dixie Dregs like the album Free Fall, Dregs of Thea Earth

also High Tension Wires from his solo career is simply the most amazing album i have ever listened to

DaFjory
12-15-2008, 10:55 PM
High Tension Wires from his solo career is simply the most amazing album i have ever listened to

Definitely not for the shred fan, though. I'd only recommend it to those who've become tired of shred, and want to hear more softer stuff.

I still can't stand that album. It's the sappiest load of tripe I've ever heard from a guitarist. :(

Colton165
01-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Shawn Lane, Bumblefoot, Al Di Meola, John Mclaughlin, and you may like Steve Morse (somewhat different, but hes my favorite, i had to mention him)