Catchy Technical Bands?

PDA

View Full Version : Catchy Technical Bands?

The Spoon
11-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Anyone know of any bands that have really catchy vocals, but are also pretty technical?

Such as:
SikTh
The Fall of Troy
Protest the Hero
The Arusha Accord
The Mars Volta

Or any band with awesome guitarwork. But preferably with catchy vocals.

If this is not in the right place, let me know :D

EDIT: Just to clarify, technical meaning crazy guitarwork and catchy like the bands i mentioned, or just stuff thats fun to sing a long to.

If not then bands with just awesome guitarwork will work for me like BTBAM or The Number 12 Looks like You :)

muse-ik
11-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I killed the prom queen
Haste the day
Between the buried and me (to some extent)
Nightwish

w1L17
11-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Minus the Bear

"Absinthe Party At The Fly Honey Warehouse":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3T1pyL7s8k

"Pachuca Sunrise":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXTADlY1NMY

Freepower
11-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Er, conventionally catchy? The Berzerker's first album is suprisingly catchy. Seriously. For me, anyway it's as catchy as the bands you mentioned. :shrug:

dminishedthingy
11-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Cynic
The Number Twelve Looks Like You
Genghis Tron
Sculptured

The Spoon
11-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I killed the prom queen
Haste the day
Between the buried and me (to some extent)
Nightwish
Nightwish was interesting, i liked it.

I already have BTBAM, and the first two werent all that technical. Haste the day was catchy though

Minus the Bear

"Absinthe Party At The Fly Honey Warehouse":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3T1pyL7s8k

"Pachuca Sunrise":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXTADlY1NMY
Love it.

Not really what i had in mind when i created this thread, but i still think they are awesome, thank you for that

As for the rest of this thread, ill check them out (I already like TN12LLY :))

Keep em comin guys

dminishedthingy
11-04-2008, 09:45 PM
(I already like TN12LLY :))

Keep em comin guys
then you should know i have good taste :p:

also check out UneXpect and Into Eternity

edit: and perhaps Protest the Hero and The Dillenger Escape Plan

Four-Sticks
11-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Psyopus!!! Myspace, or Youtube them. They are incredibly awesome. White Light or Insects are two really good songs.

goldmember1217
11-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Tera Melos' new stuff which has vocals is pretty catchy.

Listen to the song "Party With Tina".

Led man32
11-04-2008, 10:55 PM
3 is catchy

Zaphod_Beeblebr
11-05-2008, 05:02 PM
To-Mera
Biomechanical

EEE_ELLL_OHH
11-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Coheed & Cambria are really catchy!

JosefTheGodless
11-05-2008, 11:37 PM
:headbang: Racer X!!! :headbang:

guitargod108
11-06-2008, 01:01 AM
^ hell yes!

sgreenhalgh
11-06-2008, 01:41 AM
3 is catchy

3 is really cool. I like their new album.

The Spoon
11-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Bands i checked out since my last post

To-Mera: Pretty awesome.
Biomechanical: Guitar work doesnt amaze me, but its catchy
Racer X: :D
3: Love it
Psyopus: Probably the most unfun band ever. I heard them before this thread. Vocalist sucks, guitar work is too random and wanky. Just no.
UneXpect: Yes. Yes. YES.
Tera Melos: Listened to them before this thread...too random sounding. just not my cup of tea. but i'll take another listen.
Same story for Coheed and Cambria minus the random sounding.

Thanks guys. If there are any more, i'd love to hear them

Waterboy799
11-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Alter Bridge?

Mark Tremonti get's pretty technical with his guitar work at times.

dminishedthingy
11-06-2008, 07:28 PM
:cheers:
also check out What's He Building in There? (i personally can't stand them, but you may like them) and Textures

perhaps even Strapping Young Lad and TesseracT

Zaphod_Beeblebr
11-06-2008, 07:31 PM
TesseracT

I was thinking that too but decided not to bother as the guitar work, in physical terms, isn't technical really. They are brilliant though :headbang:

Four-Sticks
11-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Psyopus: Probably the most unfun band ever

I agree with that if "unfun" means way more exciting than 99% of shredders out there.

Plus your definition of wanky is strange. How is playing simple riffs behind the vocalist wanky? It's practically the same thing as Smoke on The Water for god's sake.

Freepower
11-06-2008, 09:27 PM
What's He Building in There?

Any relation to the intro of Hullaballoo?

dminishedthingy
11-06-2008, 09:32 PM
^not a clue

i also dislike Psyopus, and i lol'd at comparing them to Deep Purple

Edit: also check out The Faceless

Four-Sticks
11-06-2008, 09:40 PM
What I"m trying to illustrate with the Deep Purple analogy is that all he's doing is playing riffs like any other rock guitarist would. I just happen to think those riffs are way more interesting to listen to and try to play along with.
I personally think the song structure is more advanced than many so called "progressive" bands. And his guitar playing is NOT random at all. He plays the same or better live.
I'm not just some random metal head, I actually prefer Phish and Grateful Dead personally, but Psyopus definitely has musical merit that shouldn't be discounted so quickly.

I agree the vocals suck though.

dminishedthingy
11-06-2008, 09:49 PM
meh, i just dislike them in general
i'm sure he meant that the songs could be a bit more cohesive (of course their not literally random, there's got to be some sort of structure behind it, no matter how different it may be)

they're one of those bands like Brain Drill imo, incredible talent, just not being put to use as effectively as it could

they do succeed in doing something fairly unique though, and obviously some people like it, so i'll give them that

Four-Sticks
11-06-2008, 10:11 PM
So as not to hijack the thread with my own drama here are some other picks:
Ozric Tentacles is another great band. They combine electronic music with top notch guitar/drum/bass playing to form long and adventurous jams.
Behold...The Arctopus, if you can't handle Psyopus this is a little more toned down. Plus, the Warr Guitarist is an awesome feature of this band.
Maps And Atlases! Math Rock that actually tries to be accessible.
James Blood Ulmer- Black Rock is a sweet album. the genre is known as "Free-Funk" which combines Free Jazz with solid, funky, rhythms. The guitar style is pretty fusiony and different.

The Spoon
11-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I agree with that if "unfun" means way more exciting than 99% of shredders out there.

Nope, I mean unfun as unfun.

He can play fast and he can play cleanly, ill give him that, but he's not that interesting or fun to listen to. The clean sections are awesome, but that's all they've got

I personally think the song structure is more advanced than many so called "progressive" bands. And his guitar playing is NOT random at all. He plays the same or better live.
I'm not just some random metal head, I actually prefer Phish and Grateful Dead personally, but Psyopus definitely has musical merit that shouldn't be discounted so quickly.

I agree the vocals suck though.
Psyopus is pretty much like every other mathcore (no, i did not make that genre up) band. I love mathcore, but Psyopus is just boring to me.

Of course, this is just my opinion. And yours is yours.

Four-Sticks
11-06-2008, 10:15 PM
I figured with bands like Sikth and Fall of Troy in your intro you would have liked them. If you are bored when you listen to them you aren't listening to them properly.

The Spoon
11-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Or it could be i just dont like them.

On a positive note, Maps and Atlases is amazing, thanks :D

Four-Sticks
11-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Psyopus is pretty much like every other mathcore (no, i did not make that genre up) band. I love mathcore, but Psyopus is just boring to me.

What are some better mathcore bands? I am always interested in finding better music.

TheMantipede
11-06-2008, 10:33 PM
What are some better mathcore bands? I am always interested in finding better music.
I don't know what you'd consider "better" or "worse," but some other "mathcore" bands would include Ion Dissonance (Not Minus the Herd, though I think that's a great album) and The Crinn.

Regarding the TS's post, I'd say check out early "Rainbow." In my opinion, they have some amazing guitaring, and Ronnie James Dio is the singer for the first three albums, which I believe is all that must be said.

Also check out From a Second Story Window. I prefer their album "Delenda" far over their new one, so I'd say try that, but if you like the new one that's okay.

Four-Sticks
11-07-2008, 09:41 AM
^ Better music for me is music that is interesting and worthwhile trying to learn. I try to expand my listening boundaries as frequently as possible because it makes playing the guitar way more fun and productive.
I have heard Ion Dissonance before and they are a good band, thanks!

The Spoon
11-08-2008, 11:20 AM
^ Better music for me is music that is interesting and worthwhile trying to learn. I try to expand my listening boundaries as frequently as possible because it makes playing the guitar way more fun and productive.
I have heard Ion Dissonance before and they are a good band, thanks!
Some mathcore i consider to be better than Psyopus:
The Arusha Accord
Ion Dissonance
LYE BY MISTAKE
(Dont know if it can be considered mathcore, but) The Number 12 Looks Like You
Dillinger Escape Plan

seymour_jackson
11-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Sanitarius- technical thrash band out of NY. awesome chops, cool vocals and all the anger and attitude to lift girls skirts up and melt guys faces off

MulanoSG
11-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Racer X/ Mr.Big

Symphony X

Dream Theater

Sonata Arctica

All have outstanding guitarwork and great vocals

Night_Lights
11-16-2008, 06:50 AM
+1 to Cynic. Check out Traced in Air.

The Spoon
11-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Wow, cynic is amazing

BlackArmor
11-16-2008, 06:39 PM
King Crimson("Red", "Larks' Tongues In Aspic", "Discipline")
Yes("Yessongs", "Going For The One")

-

Os Mutantes("O A e o Z" and "Tudo foi feito pelo sol")
O Terço
Casa Das Máquinas("Lar de Maravilhas")

(These last few are brazilian bands, but they should keep you interested)

The Spoon
11-19-2008, 06:14 PM
So much amazing music in this thread. Everyone should check out pretty much every band mentioned

Zaphod_Beeblebr
11-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Wow, cynic is amazing

You have to check Linear Sphere if you like Cynic, they sound vaguely similar to me but at the same time completely different.

Also try Tesseract if you like Meshuggah, once again; similar but completely different.

dminishedthingy
11-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Wow, cynic is amazing
also check out Atheist and Gordian Knot

huevos
11-28-2008, 04:50 AM
Cynic
The Number Twelve Looks Like You
Genghis Tron
Sculptured

Excellent.

JackWhite333
11-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Dream Theater

Also, this thread = Super win.

I just discovered like 10 awesome new bands!! Thanks!!

truth4all
12-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Cynic!

dminishedthingy
12-25-2008, 02:22 PM
I rec'd him Cynic before TiA even came out, they're even catchier now haha.

DeadIdentity81
12-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Pagans Mind (Jorn Lofstad is amazing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJg33lYMEPY

Firewind (Gus G, is amazing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpPdjVdYOp4

Amorphis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU2ovtmL7Zk

Mayano
12-28-2008, 05:43 AM
Has anyone mentioned Spastic Ink? Neoclassical Funk Metal, kind of like a more approachable version of Behold... The Arctopus.
Listen to "To Counter And Groove In E Minor".

dminishedthingy
12-28-2008, 02:23 PM
If not, Liquid Tension Experiment, Blotted Science, and Sleep Terror shoud be up there as well.

Dysrhythmia is awesome too, technical post rock.

Zaphod_Beeblebr
12-28-2008, 05:39 PM
I rec'd him Cynic before TiA even came out, they're even catchier now haha.

Tru dat, new Cynic is catchy as hell; TiA is such a brilliant album.

Chasepw133
12-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Just about every band mentioned in this thread and the post mentioning that every band mentioned in this thread is good is good.

+1 for teh number 12 looks like you

thatchrisguy13
01-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Spiral Architect
Twisted Into Form
Arsis
Cyclamen
Alarum

Jarrott
01-30-2009, 06:41 AM
Blotted Science.

They r00l.

awesomo41894
01-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Racer X
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Chris Impelliteri

becker009
07-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Racer X
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Chris Impelliteri

wow you are the biggest tool i have EVER seen. i don't t think any of those "bands" with the small exception for racer x count as "technical"

Slicer666
07-31-2009, 04:24 PM
wow you are the biggest tool i have EVER seen. i don't t think any of those "bands" with the small exception for racer x count as "technical"

You actually analyzed the playing of satch and vai? That's ****'s technical I tell ya. They just put a flavour of composition and emotion over it so it's more bearable and catchy.

Also:

Cynic
The Faceless
Buckethead (instrumental though, and too progressive for some)
Racer X (haven't been mentioned enough)
Paul Gilbert's solo work is also quite technical
Symphony X
Dream Theater
Cacophony

I guess a slight mention of Friedman-era Megadeth is in order

Into Eternity
Nile is catchy to me (I'm weird, I know :p: )

Michael Angelo Batio's stuff can be very catchy and also way technical (too bad alot of the songs I know are instrumental)

Blotted Science
Watchtower
Spastic Ink

basically anything Ron Jarzombek touched

..now that I think of it, most of this has probably been named already :p:

WalkinDude91
08-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Wonderful Slippery Thing has got a really catchy main melody. No vocals though.
How about I Am A Viking by Yngwie?

WalkinDude91
08-11-2009, 05:52 PM

It's always nice to see one idiotic post amongst a thread full of good replies.

ThinkThis
08-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Watchtower
Toxik (very, very underrated... so much that it is a crime! and they were on Roadrunner!)
Believer
Cynic

Spastic Ink is cool, maybe not as catchy as Watchtower because they have less of the traditional song approach... but still cool nonetheless. they never really get monotonous which is always good.

Jimi-is-god
08-13-2009, 11:53 AM
wow you are the biggest tool i have EVER seen. i don't t think any of those "bands" with the small exception for racer x count as "technical" :haha:
that's all that needs to be said

WishfulShredder
08-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Meshuggah

PLUS
INFINITY

also
Obscura
Opeth

and Secret chiefs 3
which are not nessicarily catchy, but have some of the most awesome music Ive heard
but are still amazing. they do every genre ever. give their albums "Book of Horizons" a listen.

edit: why did this thread get revived?

sock_demon
08-20-2009, 03:06 AM
An endless sporadic

first listened to their music on tony hawk's american wasteland and I just loved it.

mexican_shred
08-20-2009, 03:11 AM
Motha fuggin Frost and It Bites. Great prog works with the members of the bands being proficient at heir instruments and great vocals

MRavioli
08-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Battles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU

Atheist

Spastic Ink

Cynic

Racer X is the epitome of 80s metal and shred.

I like this thread alot.

Hand Of Stone
08-25-2009, 09:25 PM
I notice no one said Mastodon. I'll admit they aren't as technical as, say,Dream Theater, but Crack The Skye was an incredible leap forward, in both their playing and lyricism. When Brett sings, not screams, not growls, but sings his opening line, you could tell how great the album was going to be. I think the definition of this thread would have to be "The Czar". The vocals, amazing, and the guitar solo during the section titled "Spiral" is not only technical, but, in my opinion, so full of emotion, it makes me proud to be a guitarist. All those other bands are great, but Mastodon has earned it's keep. Check it out. http://www.mastodonrocks.com/tour[/SIZE]

Night_Lights
08-25-2009, 09:53 PM
^yeah Mastodon are really progressive, its not the most physically technical, but the way their songs are put together... very layered, very prog, very awesome. Like Opeth.

also some more technical catchiness

Russian Circles
Periphery (www.myspace.com/periphery)
Bulb (guitarist of Periphery) (www.myspace.com/iambulb)

Four-Sticks
08-27-2009, 12:30 AM
It's always nice to see one idiotic post amongst a thread full of good replies.

Yeah but he has a point. Satch's music isn't very technical. A few fast legato lines here and there does not make a song technical. His rhythm section could be played by some high school kids who've only ever listened to Blink 182.

Adam124
08-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Architects

Dr. Koolaide
09-10-2009, 12:55 AM
^yeah Mastodon are really progressive, its not the most physically technical, but the way their songs are put together... very layered, very prog, very awesome. Like Opeth.

also some more technical catchiness

Russian Circles
Periphery (www.myspace.com/periphery)
Bulb (guitarist of Periphery) (www.myspace.com/iambulb)

I wouldnt really call Mastodon prog because that kinda lumps them in with Dream Theatre and the rest of those bands who just try to see how many technical lines and synth tracks they can throw at their 20 minute "epics". Mastodon is a whole 'nother beast because they just make music that interesting to listen to while at the same time having actual soul to it.

MuffinBrain
09-15-2009, 04:35 PM
THE MARS VOLTA TECHNICAL?!?!?!

:haha: :haha: :haha:

God, are you deaf or something? They are the complete opposite of technical, and that's what makes them so great and better than any of those shitty "technical" bands...

Same thing with Mastodon, Brent doesn't know a bit of theory. If you want technical prog, listen to DT, Symphony X or that stuff, personally i can't stand those bands, cause they use music as a way to show of their technique, and not the opposite.

I mean, i don't know, maybe it something personal, but when i listen to Yes, King Crimson, Zappa, Tool, The Mars Volta, Mastodon, etc., I'm not thinking "oh, these guys have such a great technique", "this band is so technical", i think about how great the music is and how much i'm enjoying listening to it, and it pisses me of that some people think the other way, .

The term "technical" just gives me that feeling, of something that is not music, just, like the name says, technique...

WalkinDude91
09-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah but he has a point. Satch's music isn't very technical. A few fast legato lines here and there does not make a song technical. His rhythm section could be played by some high school kids who've only ever listened to Blink 182.

I wouldn't call spamming power chords and the low E string technical either, but there are plenty of people who would list that as "technical". THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-AYboWYKqs) is more my idea of technical.

Night_Lights
09-15-2009, 09:42 PM

God, are you deaf or something? They are the complete opposite of technical, and that's what makes them so great and better than any of those shitty "technical" bands...

Same thing with Mastodon, Brent doesn't know a bit of theory. If you want technical prog, listen to DT, Symphony X or that stuff, personally i can't stand those bands, cause they use music as a way to show of their technique, and not the opposite.

I mean, i don't know, maybe it something personal, but when i listen to Yes, King Crimson, Zappa, Tool, The Mars Volta, Mastodon, etc., I'm not thinking "oh, these guys have such a great technique", "this band is so technical", i think about how great the music is and how much i'm enjoying listening to it, and it pisses me of that some people think the other way, .

The term "technical" just gives me that feeling, of something that is not music, just, like the name says, technique...

I believe your definition of 'technical' music is different from others. Though I see what you're saying. But still, Zappa not technical? :haha

Timothongz
09-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't call spamming power chords and the low E string technical either, but there are plenty of people who would list that as "technical". THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-AYboWYKqs) is more my idea of technical.

That looked REALLY effortless and fluid. Almost as effortless as Shawn Lane's warp speed picking runs.

Gugnums
09-16-2009, 12:50 PM
This band isn't particularly technical, but we seem to share some of the same musical tastes and I love these guys. Mr. Bungle is really weird with a mix of metal, jazz, and organ. Listen to the song stubb a dub and girls of porn. Also Fantomas, a side project, is a bit more metal with all the weird stuff still. The Director's cut album is the creepiest thing I have. Finally, Primus may not be what you're looking for, but Les Claypool rocks the bass and I think they are damn catchy.

MuffinBrain
09-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I believe your definition of 'technical' music is different from others. Though I see what you're saying. But still, Zappa not technical? :haha

The music he composed was realy technical, but he wasn't a very technical guitarist himself

WalkinDude91
09-17-2009, 03:16 PM
That looked REALLY effortless and fluid. Almost as effortless as Shawn Lane's warp speed picking runs.

All of Marshall Harrison's stuff is like that, and it's all INCREDIBLY difficult. Here's his youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/RozarSmacco

chillern
09-17-2009, 05:59 PM
also check out What's He Building in There? (i personally can't stand them, but you may like them) and Textures

perhaps even Strapping Young Lad and TesseracT

Textues is THE band.

goldmember1217
09-19-2009, 11:31 AM

God, are you deaf are something? The Mars Volta juggle time signatures most people have never heard of. Believe it or not, technical =/= shred.