Cort or Fender?

PDA

View Full Version : Cort or Fender?

atomicwhip
11-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Apologies if this is in the wrong place!

Basically, I've been eyeing up this Cort G 260 guitar with duncan designed hot rail humbuckers, coil tapped, with staggered self locking tuners and a wilkinson branded VS 0 II bridge

as seen here for 199 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=370107225012&Category=101559null&_trksid=p3907.m29)

However, for about the same price (less in fact) I found someone selling a fender mex strat, + a small 15w crate amp (although I'm not fussed about that).

I'm not really sure which way to go, and I was wondering whether anyone out there who might have played both Corts and Fenders would be able to advise me. I'm under the impression that the Cort with it's coil tap offers a hell of a lot of variation in tone, but those strats are pretty popular for a reason no?

I play stuff that's influenced by the likes of Mogwai, Muse, radiohead, Explosions in the sky, Oceansize, some metal, some artsy pretentious prog stuff, if you get me

Would the cort really be the right choice??

Cheers in advance

Steve

aaron66
11-07-2008, 08:11 AM
well the cort has a lot more range and variety than the fender would, simplay due to the humbuckers instead of the single coil sound of a fender.

with the cort, its a variable range ballsy tone
VS
a fender light uppity tone

inflatablefilth
11-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Apologies if this is in the wrong place!

Basically, I've been eyeing up this Cort G 260 guitar with duncan designed hot rail humbuckers, coil tapped, with staggered self locking tuners and a wilkinson branded VS 0 II bridge

as seen here for 199 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=370107225012&Category=101559null&_trksid=p3907.m29)

However, for about the same price (less in fact) I found someone selling a fender mex strat, + a small 15w crate amp (although I'm not fussed about that).

I'm not really sure which way to go, and I was wondering whether anyone out there who might have played both Corts and Fenders would be able to advise me. I'm under the impression that the Cort with it's coil tap offers a hell of a lot of variation in tone, but those strats are pretty popular for a reason no?

I play stuff that's influenced by the likes of Mogwai, Muse, radiohead, Explosions in the sky, Oceansize, some metal, some artsy pretentious prog stuff, if you get me

Would the cort really be the right choice??

Cheers in advance

Steve

A mexican strat for 200 quid is a bargain

no idea about the Cort thing... but if I wanted a guitar with humbuckers i'd personally get the fender and drop a seymour duncan hot rails (or similar) into the bridge.... who wants a cort when they can have a fender?

atomicwhip
11-07-2008, 10:44 AM
this is very true, I'd intended on doing that with it anyway, and I don't think I can miss out on a fender that cheap, it would just be stupid!

The cort is really nice though. Nice colour too, but I can always blast the strat if I really care.

I'm thinking the strat now, cause I can't imagine using the humbuckers other than the bridge one anyway.

deadlydunc
11-07-2008, 11:18 AM
dont be put off by the name. cort make a lot of other peoples guitars in that price range, ibanez for one but there are plenty more... they make nice guitars to my mind.

kckyle
11-07-2008, 11:29 AM
wow thats a nice guitar. i love the bridge on that thing. not sure about these pickups but that is a very nice guitar, i would go with the cort if you want more atittude. fender's tone tend to be too thin even though i'm a proud owner of one

Ducky-Kun
11-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Well, I can tell you I have a Cort G254 (couple year old model) and I do very much like it, I've gotten a new guitar in the mean time which was five times the price, but I do sit down and play my Cort quite frequently. I've played a fender strat, and to be quite honest I didn't really like it that much.. (Then again, it WAS a rather raped one..) Only problems I ever had on my Cort were with tuning stability, and seeing as that one has locking tuners, I presume that won't affect you.

Pickups on my cort were just some no-name brand, but they sounded good...

I'd say go for the Cort..
But don't go for it just cause of my advice, I'm only a noob whose been playing but 2 1/2 years =X

-Duckeh

IPlaySchecter
11-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I would go with the cort over a mim strat. The mim strats are worse than alot of the squires.

atomicwhip
11-07-2008, 03:38 PM
so is that to say that even with the added humbucker a strat might not meet the right kinda power I'm looking for? It's definately a difficult choice

kckyle
11-07-2008, 05:43 PM
go with the cort. a mim standard isn't that great. only these higher end mexican strats like the road house, lone star and other models are fantastic.

bfloyd6969
11-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Both are nice guitars but if it were me, I would go for the Cort. The G260 has some really nice features like the Wilkinson trem, coil taps, nice woods, roller nut? (not sure about this one) and nicely built. Cort makes much of the bigger guitar names guitars like Ibanez, and many more. If they're making good guitars for these other guitar names, imagine the quality they put into their own name guitars. Seriously, I have a few of their X series guitars, which are the same as Ibanez's RG series, and they play much nicer IMO.

atomicwhip
11-08-2008, 09:29 AM
i think the general bias of this thread leans towards the cort? seriously, no support for the fender?

Hodds49
11-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Go for the Fender trust it will feel and play so much better! They have there own personality!!!!

blind.quardian
11-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Cort has good cheap models but fender is a better guitar.

atomicwhip
11-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm thinking at the moment that I might go for the fender now since there's every chance it'll go quite quickly, and get the cort another time if I still want it, the shop I want it from has bulk supply of them, so i can get it later! I'd hate to take the cort now and miss out on the chance to take a fender mex + 70 worth of amp for 185!

SeeEmilyPlay
11-08-2008, 09:58 AM
I definitely prefer Fender but that's just me. It's a good guitar especially for the money.

Volta_91
11-08-2008, 01:33 PM
The Cort, definately.

blind.quardian
11-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Look please just dont get the cort when there is a fender. I dont know the prices in your country but normally the fender is like 2x more expensive guitar than cort.

oakn
11-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Look please just dont get the cort when there is a fender. I dont know the prices in your country but normally the fender is like 2x more expensive guitar than cort.
What you're saying is that a guitar is better if it costs more. Stupid just stupid. I would choose the Cort over the mim strat no question. Cort is one of the most underrated brands in the industry, especially their acoustic guitars.

And as always, the best way to choose guitar is to try 'em out.

atomicwhip
11-09-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm trying (and probably buying) the strat today]

The cort WILL be bought eventually, but I'm not missing the fender

atomicwhip
11-10-2008, 05:09 AM
I am currently the owner of a slightly warped strat

I say slightly, it looks like it's been against a wall for 10 years.

And it needs a new nut

Still, did I mention it was 170? and the amp is worth well over the 15 I paid for it, so I'll make a profit selling it!

Pikka Bird
11-10-2008, 09:34 AM
The Fender is the better bargain compared to the in-store price, but the Cort is (to me at least) a way better guitar. It may "only" have Duncan Designed pickups, but it has a Wilkinson bridge (MIM Fender will probably have the bent steel weirdo-bridge) and a GraphTech nut (MIM Fenders have genuine plastic nuts) plus locking tuners which means it's gonna be stable as hell. Furthermore, the neck is more to my liking than most Fender necks, and the joint is way more comfortable. If I ever need a strat-style guitar, I'm getting a Cort G.

But for now, the Fender will be a wise purchase because you can just resell it for a profit provided it's in good shape.

GuitarGuy X
11-10-2008, 09:38 AM
I would go with the cort over a mim strat. The mim strats are worse than alot of the squires.

Fail. And again, the word "squier" is misspelled.

atomicwhip
11-10-2008, 12:20 PM
the fender isn't bad at all, and at the end of the day, it would be nice to have both in the long run