New Member here....

PDA

View Full Version : New Member here....

dimebag70
11-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Well just to tell you a bit about me... I'm 38 years old and have been playing guitar again for the last year and a half.

I used to play guitar in high school but was not very good at it and my teacher at the time had me playing out of a book trying to teach me how to read notes... YUK!!

I moved onto playing the keyboard to maybe set me in a new direction but to later realize that i need to read music to learn that instrument to the fullest. I memorized a few chord shapes and made up my own stuff and got drawn back into the guitar when i almost purchased another keyboard . The guy i was talking to at the music store told me that if i didn't learn to read music then i would not be progressing the way i should on keyboard . He told me that he plays both guitar and piano and you don't need to learn to read music for the guitar and from that point I began my turnaround.

I'm alot better on guitar now than i was in high school.. I can read tab now and I couldn't before so now I can play a little metallica and pantera and stuff i like.

I wish I could of known this before i quit guitar cuz i would've probably been able to do alot more with music if I had stuck with it ...

Well anyway I play cuz i love it and I hope to make a few songs of my own one day .

I don't know any theory and i mainly just try and memorize the chord shapes but I don't do alot of scale work and i'm not into the whole language of music per say.

I try and learn some songs and from there get some ideas of my own to work with for my own material..

So let me know what you think and drop me a line anytime...

Thanks

Gibson06
11-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Hey man, welcome to UG. There is a thread for introductions, which can be found here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794605). Just post this there.

Anyways, I'm a huge Metallica and pantera fan as well. I was in the same boat as you as far as the lessons went, but I switched teachers and continued taking lessons for a year or so. I've been on my own for a few years and I still love playing as much as ever.

Hopefully you can stick with it this time. :)

zzeazz
11-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Welcome to UG.

:cheers:

Just watch out on the Pit. IF you cant find something, and you as the Pit, or most Forums, then they're vicious
:p

Preid
11-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Great, another Dime noob :rolleyes:

Gibson06
11-09-2008, 10:15 PM
If you're not here to be welcoming and polite, leave. There is no need to flame new users just to make yourself feel better.