11-10-2008, 03:23 PM
I want to get into more prog bands.

any suggestions?

pinkfloyder1000
11-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Pendragon

Sonny_sam
11-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Older stuff -pink floyd, yes, asia, focus, king crimson.
Newer - Dream theater, Sikth.

EDIT - > Also look at a band called G.P.S. They are former members of the band 'Asia' but I personally think their newer stuff is much better.

destijl
11-10-2008, 03:29 PM
80s prog or current prog? :p
current prog : porcupine tree ftw

DeathOn2Legs
11-10-2008, 03:30 PM
there are lots of directions in prog... if you want to hear the more classic stuff, listen to the old bands like King Crimson, Rush, Pink Floyd, early Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, and a bunch of other psychedelic stuff from the late 60s/early 70s. If you're more into metal, try Symphony X, Dream Theater, Pain Of Salvation, Toxik, Heathen or Porcupine Tree.... There are thousands of great very unknown and talented bands out there, just take a look on myspace! if you are more into extreme stuff, try Opeth, IwrestleLikeKevinBacon (or whatever they're called), definetely Sikth and Between The Buried and Me. Those 3 are like mathcore, but pretty interesting compared to the 08/15 faggot metalcore stuff that's just for posers....

Slicer666
11-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Asia, Pendragon, King Crimson, Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Steve Vai, John Petrucci's solo work, and I suppose that "The Human Abstract" and "Symphony-X" are prog as well.

Also, the Mathcore side of the genre I'd check out Sikth, The Fall of Troy, Protest the Hero and Dillinger Escape Plan.

Though two of my favorites of this genre are Porcupine Tree and Opeth

hobozach
11-10-2008, 03:34 PM
thx a bunch guys

U already got me into procupine tree. lts see how many more i can get out of the huge list u guys provided. :D

Nacho Cheese!
11-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Maybe this can help some.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=926595

HiImKindaNewAnd
11-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Gentle Giant

dminishedthingy
11-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Riverside
NAO!

johnyprestige
11-11-2008, 02:17 PM
there are so many of these threads, look it up.

5h1n10
11-11-2008, 02:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSmAacEpt-Y&fmt=18
This.
I suggest you check it out

Sir Bodus
11-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Rush

RedDeath9
11-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Behold... The Arctopus (might be a bit to hectic)
Spastic Ink (hectic, not as incoherent as B... TA though.)
Sleep Terror (Switches from tech-death to jazz at random times)
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (very weird, eerie band)
Aghora
Agalloch (very atmospheric folk/prog/doom metal... One of the greatest bands I've ever heard)
Arcturus
Atheist (tech death, kinda proggy at times)
Ayreon (cluster**** of genres, with lots of guest musicians on every album)
Blotted Science (Same guitarist as Spastic Ink)
Between the Buried and Me (more metalcore infleunced)
Cynic (very spacey, atmospheric prog)
Devin Townsend
Edge of Sanity (Get Crimson II, now)
Ephel Duath (Avant-garde, lots of jazz influence...)
The Fall of Troy (kinda post-hardcore)
Gordian Knot
Gorod (tech death with jazz influence)
Meshuggah (crazy rhythms, can get boring at times though)
Ne Obliviscaris (black/prog metal with violins, cleans and growls, epic)
Nevermore (Prog metal. Get This Godless Endeavor, now.)
Opeth (a must listen)
Porcupine Tree (must listen)
Protest the Hero (kinda post-hardcore influenced)
Riverside (straight-up prog rock, similar to Porcupine Tree)
Spiral Architect (kinda hectic, not as hectic as Spastic Ink or BTA though. Actually have noticeable song structures. :p: )
Symphony X (neo-classically-influenced prog metal)
Textures (like Meshuggah, but more melodic)
Thrice (not even that proggy, but still have experimental stuff in their music.)
Tyr (folk/prog)
uneXpect (avant-garde metal)
Wintersun (folk/prog/melodic metal)
The Black Mages
Andromeda
Anubis Gate
Pain of Salvation (Get The Perfect Element pt. I, now)

That should keep you occupied for a while.

thefeedingend
11-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Well, everyone else has covered all the Prog Metal bands so I'll give you the Prog rock bands that I'd suggest.

Coheed and Cambria (highly reccomended)
The Dear Hunter
The Recieving End of Sirens (not especially prog but there are def. some elements in there)
Between the Buried and Me (highly recommended, they are metal and some of the most talented musicians out there right now)
Thrice

RedDeath9
11-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Thrice

I'd just call them plain experimental rock (their newer stuff, anyway), but they're still amazing.

Rufiothebandito
11-17-2008, 01:55 PM
if you are more into extreme stuff, try Opeth, IwrestleLikeKevinBacon (or whatever they're called), definetely Sikth and Between The Buried and Me. Those 3 are like mathcore, but pretty interesting compared to the 08/15 faggot metalcore stuff that's just for posers....
I agree and just to clarify, you blended the band and one of their songs haha, the band is Iwrestledabearonce and the song is "tastes like kevin bacon"
but yeah, listen to opeth, btbam, and sikth, 3 of the most amazing bands you'll ever hear.

heminder
11-17-2008, 02:01 PM
http://www.last.fm/tag/progressive/artists
solved...
:)

browse the little menu on the left for more stuff...

rebeltildeth87
11-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Sleep Terror is the shit. I would say them and Blotted Science. Which are 2 bands that actually sound very similair.

likecallisto666
11-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Dream theater tops the list. mike portnoy (drummer) is in the rock n roll hall of fame. John Petrucci (guitars) was the Guitar Player of the 90's (the dude is a god.) The bassist is korean, and plays with flat fingers on the fretboard. his name is john Myung. The singer, james labrie was trained by and opera. and theres really nothing special about jordan rudess (keys), but he is still amaizng. Rush is also good, along with liquid tension.

Pat_s1t
11-23-2008, 09:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwlZe2eKbcM&feature=related
I was just about to start a similar thread. I found an assload of Prog Metal just now on YouTube. This one is by Thought Chamber, called Mr. Qwinkles Therapy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfCWhakWPQc&feature=related
This one is Damnation by Evergrey. I'm just gonna spam them as I find them, k?

area5x1
11-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Here's a nice list

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?salbumtypes=1#list

Zaros
11-29-2008, 08:23 PM
The Mars Volta.

Rufiothebandito
12-01-2008, 02:39 PM
The Mars Volta.
Agreed, listen to De-Loused in the Comatorium and if you're like me and many others it will raise the bar for you on what makes an album cohesive, original, and incredibly satisfying.

thefeedingend
12-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Agreed, listen to De-Loused in the Comatorium and if you're like me and many others it will raise the bar for you on what makes an album cohesive, original, and incredibly satisfying.

I agree. Give this amazing band a listen!

Slaytanic1993
12-01-2008, 06:18 PM
McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra.

I recommend The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire.

dissonance88
12-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Havent seen this mentioned yet,
Damn the Machine, only one album "Damn the machine", chris poland's band back in 93 i think, pretty good album imo.

Led man32
12-04-2008, 07:04 PM
3 (the band) has not been listed yet

Mista_Marko
12-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Tetrafusion (instrumental progressive/metal/experimental):

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Tetrafusion/34092867013

Guitar_cow
12-13-2008, 06:09 PM
That's quite a stretch. "Any Prog. Bands..."
What about "Any great bands" ? :D

I love Tool.

Joe Tiago
12-13-2008, 07:51 PM
I love almost everything mentioned in this thread

The Fall of Troy (sort of like the hardcore mars volta, amazing band)

Coheed and Cambria, yes they are a prog rock band, listen to songs like The Crowing, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3, The Willing Wells, and The End Complete III: The End Complete

Opus Däi

thelonelywaffle
12-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Dream theater tops the list. mike portnoy (drummer) is in the rock n roll hall of fame. John Petrucci (guitars) was the Guitar Player of the 90's (the dude is a god.) The bassist is korean, and plays with flat fingers on the fretboard. his name is john Myung. The singer, james labrie was trained by and opera. and theres really nothing special about jordan rudess (keys), but he is still amaizng. Rush is also good, along with liquid tension.

There is something very special about Jordan Rudess, he can play the black and white like a beast. A BEAST!

soulflyV
12-14-2008, 07:54 AM
There is something very special about Jordan Rudess, he can play the black and white like a beast. A BEAST!

He was also a child prodigy!