why was my thread locked?

PDA

View Full Version : why was my thread locked?

shinderhizzle84
11-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Hello! I am new here, which i guess is why i'm posting in the new members q & a forum :D

But seriously, I made a thread a couple of days ago asking for some good recommendations for some songs that my ice hockey team could march out to. I just checked it for the first time today, and i found that it was locked.

I didn't notice any direct flaming or hateful talk or anything directly against the rules, and I'm not trying to protest or anything, I'm basically just looking for an explanation as to why it was locked...

I mean, it may have been in the wrong forum, but wouldn't it just have been moved instead of locked?

Anyway, sorry to bother you all, and again, I'm not trying to disintegrate the mods' authority or anything, it's just that this thread was really helping me think of some good songs, and I really wanted to reply to it, and I would've liked to have seen more suggestions.

either way, the thread's url is this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=996097

any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

AeroRocker
11-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Something I see is the thread was getting pretty off-topic. Everyone was discussing the songs instead of giving suggestions. Wait for a mod to give the real report though.

Awaken
11-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Hello! I am new here, which i guess is why i'm posting in the new members q & a forum :D

But seriously, I made a thread a couple of days ago asking for some good recommendations for some songs that my ice hockey team could march out to. I just checked it for the first time today, and i found that it was locked.

I didn't notice any direct flaming or hateful talk or anything directly against the rules, and I'm not trying to protest or anything, I'm basically just looking for an explanation as to why it was locked...

I mean, it may have been in the wrong forum, but wouldn't it just have been moved instead of locked?

Anyway, sorry to bother you all, and again, I'm not trying to disintegrate the mods' authority or anything, it's just that this thread was really helping me think of some good songs, and I really wanted to reply to it, and I would've liked to have seen more suggestions.

either way, the thread's url is this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=996097

any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
no, just hockey

and yeah, was getting off topic, but you still got 3 pages of posts, that didnt help you ?

nightraven
11-10-2008, 04:58 PM
send a PM to one of the following mods clearly mentioning the query and thread in the subject of the message so they can see it among all the garbage they possibly receive :p:
don't forget to link your thread.

theguitarist, Dyer's Eve, Snyper, Andrewbiles, j0nmcc

shinderhizzle84
11-10-2008, 04:58 PM
thanks for the speedy replies :D

Yes, the 3 pages definitely did help me quite a lot.

There are a lot of songs that i'm going to have to sample on itunes :D

But aside from that, based on the way that some of the members were speaking, many of the songs that had been recommended to me were more screamo/hardcore, which is a no-no. Basically, i've got to play by the rules set by my team, which is:

it's ok to have metal, but no death, thrash, goth, or screamo metal of any kind.

Like i said, metallica is stuff they really like, but that's the only metal they listen to. And even then, i want to listen to stuff that isn't so popular, and stuff that they wouldn't have heard of before, lol.

Basically, I'm sort of trying to be a metal prophet, and trying to convert some of them to lighter metal, lol.

OK so second question:

would it be ok if i reposted the thread in The Pit, or would that be conflicting with some sort of double posting rule here?

nightraven
11-10-2008, 05:00 PM
i think if your thread in the metal forum got closed for a sufficient reason i doubt it would be okay to repost it, but i have a suspicion if you behave nicely and maturely to the mods i posted earlier you may get your first thread reopened.

shinderhizzle84
11-10-2008, 05:14 PM
alright thanks :D

yeah, the reason i asked about reposting it in The Pit was because my train of thought was that it got closed because it stopped being relevant to the metal thread.

However, there are a lot of odd threads in The Pit, so i figured if either i requested a move or i re-posted it (with their permission, of course) in The Pit, it might have a better success rate.

If you're wondering what kind of odd threads go down there, just check this one out:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=996410&highlight=hockey

Need i say more?? :D

To Edusty2010, I salute you, lol. :D

SomeoneYouKnew
11-10-2008, 06:36 PM
alright thanks :D

yeah, the reason i asked about reposting it in The Pit was because my train of thought was that it got closed because it stopped being relevant to the metal thread.

However, there are a lot of odd threads in The Pit, so i figured if either i requested a move or i re-posted it (with their permission, of course) in The Pit, it might have a better success rate.

If you're wondering what kind of odd threads go down there, just check this one out:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=996410&highlight=hockey

Need i say more?? :D

To Edusty2010, I salute you, lol. :Dugh, don't try to justify misplacing a thread in the Pit because weird stuff exists in the Pit. The Pit is where things that don't fit into a specific forum go. if there is a forum where a thread fits, it goes there.

weird threads in the Pit are a completely different issue. if they break rules, they get closed. if they don't, they stay right where they belong, weird or not.

Dyer's Eve posted in your thread and is a Mod in the Metal Forum. That would be the Mod to contact first, don't you think?

if you DO get your thread unlocked, EDIT the OP to indicate:

"it's ok to have metal, but no death, thrash, goth, or screamo metal of any kind."

no point in having others post ideas you can't use because you didn't let them know what won't work.

divid3d
11-11-2008, 02:31 AM
Snyper was the mod who closed your thread. i'd suggest sending him a private message and discussing it with him.

shinderhizzle84
11-11-2008, 04:11 PM
alright thanks a bunch for letting me know, all.

In most of the forums i've been in, a mod will post in the thread stating why it was locked or where it was moved, which is why i was confused, so i apologize :D

ehh it's not really a big deal then, i really don't want to have to go through all the trouble of protesting to a mod just to open one thread--plus, i've got a short fuse right now since my 360 just got the red rings of death, and i definitely do NOT want to get angry at a mod, lol. :(

SomeoneYouKnew
11-11-2008, 09:35 PM
alright thanks a bunch for letting me know, all.

In most of the forums i've been in, a mod will post in the thread stating why it was locked or where it was moved, which is why i was confused, so i apologize :DMods on UG aren't required to post reasons, but usually they will if the reason isn't obvious, just because they're nice people. :)

but UG can get REALLY busy for the Mods at times. If there are several trolls, spammers, flamers, etc, acting out at the same time then it's less likely they'll extend the courtesy.

ehh it's not really a big deal then, i really don't want to have to go through all the trouble of protesting to a mod just to open one thread--plus, i've got a short fuse right now since my 360 just got the red rings of death, and i definitely do NOT want to get angry at a mod, lol. :(yeah, good plan. have discussions with Mods when you're in a better mood. set the tone for a good relationship. ;)

sorry to hear about your RRD. i hear that's all too common. :(

anyway ...
:cheers: