UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music Theory Archives (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Child of Archeo's Composition Experiment (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1014878)

Freepower 12-05-2008 09:36 AM

Child of Archeo's Composition Experiment

Hey guys, time for a nice little composition game.

I want you all to compose a short piece of music (at most about a minute, although this is a guideline, not a rule). Standard entry as an attached midi and Guitar Pro/Powertab file. :)

It doesn't have to be tonal, structured in any particular way, whatever. It'd be nicer if you can record your train of thought.

What I'd like is a piece about this -

I was recently reading a Steve Vai article about creating music that expressed what you felt "clouds" meant to you. Funnily enough, the instant I thought about waterfalls a piece sprang into mind. I have it finished but I'll submit when other submissions come in, as I don't want to be stepping into your musical headspace with my ideas. :)

xxdarrenxx 12-05-2008 10:54 AM

can it be mp3? I suck at gp.

Freepower 12-05-2008 10:57 AM

Of course, as long as something gets composed and submitted I don't really mind. :)

/-\liceNChains 12-05-2008 12:14 PM

Cool idea freepower. I was jamming on youtube to cortez the killer and whoever posted the song took the time to put on all these pictures related to the story of the song. Its a song about Cortez coming from spain to south america and it had all these aztec pictures like acient artifacts and scenic views and a jaguar etc. They were going on a slide show. With this on my moniter and the speakers playing loud it really made me feel the song and it was really fun to play over.

This was basically the same idea that images can spark your emotion/thought patterns which can influence your playing. Ill try to record something later on and submit it.

Andy_Mclaughlan 12-05-2008 01:08 PM

Great idea. That picture is such a cool picture in the sense that I immediately have ideas in my head for how a tune would sound looking at that. Never ever thought of using images as inspiration but there you go.
Andy

Retro Rocker 12-05-2008 01:14 PM

Might aswell, got nothing better to do tonight.

gonzaw 12-05-2008 02:02 PM

Good idea...

I'll try composing later..

michal23 12-05-2008 02:26 PM

Kevin Moore did an album based off this sort of idea - he basically wrote the soundtrack to a 1950's children's book, or something similar. I might have a go later.

psychodelia 12-05-2008 04:09 PM

How long do people have to submit?

I have a lot of stuff this weekend, but I'll probably throw out something by next week. :)

20Tigers 12-05-2008 04:14 PM

I'm in. Though I don't know how to save a piece in Midi and always use my guitar when I'm writing. I'll see what I can do.

I too can already hear the entire piece by looking at the picture. Whether it comes out the way I hear it is a different story.

Freepower 12-05-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodelia
How long do people have to submit?

I have a lot of stuff this weekend, but I'll probably throw out something by next week. :)

Well, the brief only asks for around a minute and I'm gonna be on holiday next friday for a week, possibly not online, so it'd be cool if submissions could be in by next friday. :)

Thursdae 12-05-2008 05:23 PM

Verrrrrry cool. I love reading Vai's columns on his website about inspiration and practice.. like playing one note over and over again and working on vibrato alone, just moving your finger all around getting different sounds, or like this just thinking of something un-musical and drawing inspiration from it. I'll definitely be doing this (once I can figure out why my mic has this terrible buzzing sound).

JakdOnCrack 12-05-2008 06:41 PM

Can it be a composition using Finale or something like that? I'd upload it as an mp3

Freepower 12-05-2008 06:49 PM

^ sure, don't worry about the format. As long as you can express yourself musically in some way I'll be happy, and if you can upload it here the rest of us will be too. :p:

victoryaloy 12-05-2008 07:19 PM

does it have to be guitar?

xxdarrenxx 12-05-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryaloy
does it have to be guitar?

nope

Do whatever u want, as long as it's musical idea and does not give eardamage :p:

victoryaloy 12-05-2008 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdarrenxx
nope

Do whatever u want, as long as it's musical idea and does not give eardamage :p:

lol alright.. i'll probably give it a try!!

gonzaw 12-05-2008 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kay, I finished it...

Hmm, I tried to make it kinda ambiental and smooth, but I don't know how to make ambiental music so this is as close as it can get (although I'm kind of happy with it)...

Hmm, also.....KOTO SOLO!!!!! :headbang:

EDIT:Added another part and made it repeat itself, you know, like some ambience music kind of thing...

xxdarrenxx 12-05-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaw
Kay, I finished it...

Hmm, I tried to make it kinda ambiental and smooth, but I don't know how to make ambiental music so this is as close as it can get (although I'm kind of happy with it)...

Hmm, also.....KOTO SOLO!!!!! :headbang:

A cool stuff.

I think it would be cool if u double the koto solo from 21 - 28 with a flute. That would contrast better that it's a solo section, because the koto is also used before that. Was a cool thing, I liked what u did with shores and lil birds.

For me personally ur piece sounds:

" a guy walks up and start hiking along the river with thinking about stuff"

gonzaw 12-05-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdarrenxx
A cool stuff.

I think it would be cool if u double the koto solo from 21 - 28 with a flute. That would contrast better that it's a solo section, because the koto is also used before that. Was a cool thing, I liked what u did with shores and lil birds.

For me personally ur piece sounds:

" a guy walks up and start hiking along the river with thinking about stuff"

But the river finishes in a waterfall ;)
See how everything is related? :p:

Yeah, tomorrow I will change some things and maybe expand the solo...