UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   By popular demand.. The info on my Modded Bad Monkey (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034068)

IbanezPsycho 12-30-2008 12:06 AM

By popular demand.. The info on my Modded Bad Monkey

Decided to fill everyone in on the transparency mod I did to my Bad Monkey since I have gotten quite a few requests lately.

As you can see modding a bad monkey can be a pain, because pretty much everything is surface mount. But there is a few things you can do to enhance it.

Ok now for the mods...

You can change C5 (.047uf) to a .1uf(mids cut) or .15uf(more mids cut) More cut equals more transparency. Since its a Tubescreamer clone as you know it has a slight mid hump this mod takes that out of the picture. Digitech did a good job of removing most of it but this takes it the rest of the way.

To this...

Also you can change out C11 (22uf) to a 1uf if you would like to increase the bass on the pedal. I found the pedal to have plenty of bass on tap in the first place so I just left it alone.

And lastly for cosmetic purposes I thought a yellow led looked alot better in the already green and yellow pedal I slapped in a yellow led.

Hope yall enjoy the info. Its a quick easy mod and works great especially if you are using it as a clean boost..

pak1351 12-30-2008 12:16 AM

:golfclap:

Maybe it should be in the building/customizing forum, but thanks. Definitely something worth looking into down the road.

IbanezPsycho 12-30-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pak1351
:golfclap:

Maybe it should be in the building/customizing forum, but thanks. Definitely something worth looking into down the road.

Was going to throw it in there but the guys asking about it never go in there. So hopefully a few of the guys asking about it get to see it before it gets lost in the mound of killswitch how to's and can I put a floyd in this mayhem... :D

pak1351 12-30-2008 12:25 AM

haha, i know what you mean. I bookmarked the page for later, just got one of these and haven't even plugged it in yet. And with our clever bumping in the guise of a conversation, it can stay on the first page

TNfootballfan62 12-30-2008 12:30 AM

:cheers: Nice job.

IbanezPsycho 12-30-2008 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pak1351
haha, i know what you mean. I bookmarked the page for later, just got one of these and haven't even plugged it in yet. And with our clever bumping in the guise of a conversation, it can stay on the first page

There great pedals for there price and its stood the test of time for me which is rare. I go through pedals like crack :D

Lol actually as late as it is, usually it stays on the front page for quite some time anyway. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
:cheers: Nice job.

dudey5691 12-30-2008 12:43 PM

Alright, so my assumption of you doing the "badder monkey" mod was right!

Is the difference really that noticeable?

:cheers:

LP51122 12-30-2008 12:45 PM

Very cool!

Can we hear it in action? :)

MrCarrot 12-30-2008 12:46 PM

I expect you had a schem in order to do this?

...Could you PM it to me/post it? :)

IbanezPsycho 12-30-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudey5691
Alright, so my assumption of you doing the "badder monkey" mod was right!

Is the difference really that noticeable?

I actually dont know what his mods are but yea from his discriptions its pretty much the badder monkey minus the additional gain. And I take it he is doing the bass mod and passing it off as badder bass drive. Its crazy how steep his prices are I was doing these mods for a whole lot cheaper.

Yea it actually makes a pretty big difference, I can turn the pedal on and you can hardly even tell I engaged it you just get the added boost.

stevo_epi_SG_wo 12-30-2008 01:25 PM

jebus

the SD-1 is tons easier to mod, the bits are much bigger :p:

AdamDK 12-30-2008 01:27 PM

Nice work Ibby Psycho. +1 to what Steve said and for the record...

SD-1 > Bad Monkey :D

timi_hendrix 12-30-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDK

Really, no. :haha

darkarbiter7 12-30-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDK

No, i've tried both (and owned an SD1). And stock, the BM is better all around.
The SD1 is more moddable though, so that could be a big plus.

dudey5691 12-30-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezPsycho
I actually dont know what his mods are but yea from his discriptions its pretty much the badder monkey minus the additional gain. And I take it he is doing the bass mod and passing it off as badder bass drive. Its crazy how steep his prices are I was doing these mods for a whole lot cheaper.

Yea it actually makes a pretty big difference, I can turn the pedal on and you can hardly even tell I engaged it you just get the added boost.

Yeah, what you did is basically what the Badder monkey is, except you didn't have the Bass boost.

I know who you're referring to, and you're right, his prices are WAY too steep.

AdamDK 12-30-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarbiter7
No, i've tried both (and owned an SD1). And stock, the BM is better all around.
The SD1 is more moddable though, so that could be a big plus.

I prefer the SD-1 stock. But it's just my opinion.

darkarbiter7 12-30-2008 02:03 PM

Ah. I just felt that the BM was more natural sounding than the SD1.

Anyways, I wonder if a mod like this would work well on the Screamin Blues.

311ZOSOVHJH 12-30-2008 02:42 PM

tnx IP

IbanezPsycho 12-30-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudey5691
Yeah, what you did is basically what the Badder monkey is, except you didn't have the Bass boost.

I know who you're referring to, and you're right, his prices are WAY too steep.

Yup, for close to the same cost Keeley reworks tubescreamers and replaces a good bit of the circuitry. This guy replaces 2-3 things max adds on a huge sticker price and calls it as day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarbiter7
Ah. I just felt that the BM was more natural sounding than the SD1.

Anyways, I wonder if a mod like this would work well on the Screamin Blues.

Its possible there all pretty close circuit wise, crack one open and see what she looks like on the inside..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCarrot
I expect you had a schem in order to do this?

...Could you PM it to me/post it? :)

Sorry man, Digitech keeps there schematics on lock down I've tried a number of times to get my hands on one. If I can get my hands on one in the future i'll be sure to shoot you over a pm. ;)

But yea, this mod was one of those scour the internet for any type of info you can find then put the pieces together. Add in a bit of trial and error and there ya go. Also its a similiar mod I do on tube screamers and being there based on the same circuit it wasnt that hard to figure out :D

Dave_Mc 12-30-2008 03:49 PM

nice :cheers: