UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bands & Artists (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your Top 5 Most Favorite Bands (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1062287)

radomu 02-06-2009 08:32 AM

Your Top 5 Most Favorite Bands

Okay, I know it has been done a million times, but I'm making a yet another favorite band thread.
It can be individual artists if you like.
try to diversify the genre if you can and not just do heavy metal...

For example,

1. Led Zeppelin - Heavy metal, world music, blues-rock
2. The Corrs - Folk Rock, Pop, Celtic
3. Cream - Psychedelic Rock, Blues Rock
5. The Black Crowes - Hard rock, Blues rock, Southern Rock
6. Whitesnake - Hard Rock, Heavy Metal

TheNewArmy 02-06-2009 09:02 AM

I,ll take it from a guitar playing perspective...

1- Slayer; greatest riffs ever and a great way to loosen up...releasing tension!!

2- U2 ; Love the dexterity and sound

3- YES ; Pure technique

4- Anthrax ; Just love it!

5- Pink Floyd ; David Gilmour is God.... LOL

radomu 02-06-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewArmy
I,ll take it from a guitar playing perspective...

1- Slayer; greatest riffs ever and a great way to loosen up...releasing tension!!

2- U2 ; Love the dexterity and sound

3- YES ; Pure technique

4- Anthrax ; Just love it!

5- Pink Floyd ; David Gilmour is God.... LOL

Both irish bands on no.2

ninjagayden777 02-06-2009 10:36 AM

1.Hurt-Thoughtful songwriting and loads of great catchy guitar hooks

2.Pink Floyd-Who can't love this band? At least before Roger left and all hell broke loose.

3.Combichrist-Not too cool to have an industrial group with no guitar as one of your favorites on this site( :eek: ), but screw it, they rule.

4.Circa Survive-Their guitar playing is almost always spacy and solo-esque, no matter what part of the song they're in, and that takes a lot of talent to pull that off!

5.Job For A Cowboy-Best Metalcore band out there. Doom is probably the best album that genre has ever spawned. And before someone attacks me, I know they're more Deathcore now.

radomu 02-06-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagayden777
1.Hurt-Thoughtful songwriting and loads of great catchy guitar hooks

2.Pink Floyd-Who can't love this band? At least before Roger left and all hell broke loose.

3.Combichrist-Not too cool to have an industrial group with no guitar as one of your favorites on this site( :eek: ), but screw it, they rule.

4.Circa Survive-Their guitar playing is almost always spacy and solo-esque, no matter what part of the song they're in, and that takes a lot of talent to pull that off!

5.Job For A Cowboy-Best Metalcore band out there. Doom is probably the best album that genre has ever spawned. And before someone attacks me, I know they're more Deathcore now.

I weirdly loved Floyd's frist album the most...

ChrisN 02-06-2009 10:58 AM

I'm going to give my list as far as overall listening time and influence on my music journey.

They're only listed in the order I listened to them in...

1. Oasis
2. U2
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Bloc Party
5. The Fall Of Troy

Gris-Gris-Man 02-06-2009 04:09 PM

FZ and the Mothers
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Jeff Beck
Emerson Lake and Palmer
Cream

no order really, and always changes..i jus picked 5 that came to mind

soundgarden19 02-06-2009 04:19 PM

Soundgarden-Chris has some of the best vocals of all-time.
Jane's Addiction- Two words: Three Days
Clutch- Catchy stoner rock
Phish- Amazing musicians
Grateful Dead/The Mars Volta- both great, the Dead are some of the best musicians and TMV are very original.

goldmember1217 02-06-2009 05:48 PM

There's no way in hell I can choose only 5 bands overall, so I'll just pick my 5 favorite bands from the last couple weeks.

Cursive - indie rock
Jesu - sludge/post-rock
Fear Before the March of Flames - experimental/hardcore
Andrew Jackson Jihad - folk/punk
Algernon Cadwallader - emo

Baby Joel 02-06-2009 07:42 PM

Billy Joel: Fantastic musician. Brilliant songwriter. All the lyrics are about his personal life and real experiences. He also has quite a versatile and flexible voice. He can go from southern preacher voice (As seen in 'Tomorrow Is Today', about halfway through or so) to quite a high tenor ('Why Judy Why'. That is NOT a falsetto!). Great pianist as well.
The Killers: Not only do I like them because the lead singer is Mormon, but they are quite fantastic. Lyrics are super personal (About relatives, girlfriends, personal beliefs/philosophies, etc), the music is well produced, and it has a certain feel that you can only get from some bands.
Buckethead: Best guitarist alive, in my opinion. Can play every style, has fantastic technique, fantastic emotion, a great character (Whole chicken thing is pretty sweet), and I think he looks fantastic live (Haven't seen him yet though). Also, he has the greatest respect for other people. Has tributes to over ten different people, including Hendrix, Dimebag, ODB from Wu Tang, Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Paul Gilbert, and I guess his parents if you want to count that.
Rise Against: Good ole punk. New album was a disappointment though. Old stuff though in Siren Sound of Counter Culture, and even in Sufferer and Witness, they were quite political, well produced, and Tim's vocals are just superb. Helps me to get my angst out.
Serj Tankian: Basically everything in Rise Against, but Serj is a bit more atonal/serial/strange, and I love it. His voice is so unique. I really don't have to explain more, and my fingers hurt anyways.

JTROKS 02-06-2009 07:44 PM

1. The White Stripes
2. The Raconteurs
3. Anberlin
4.U2
5. Disciple

HiImKindaNewAnd 02-06-2009 08:01 PM

Talking Heads-Coked up art school nerd funk/punk, what's not to love?

Can-Seriously, did these guys have some sort of telepathic bond with one another or something?

King Crimson-The band that got me into progressive rock. So many lineups, so many different styles tries out. :liplick:

(Syd-era) Pink Floyd-LSD-inspired fairy tales! Yippee!!!

The Fall-Rhythm-heavy fun-uh!

Solo artists/Singer-Songwriters:

Tom Waits

Bob Dylan

Frank Zappa

Captain Beefheart

Nick Drake

radomu 02-07-2009 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS
1. The White Stripes
2. The Raconteurs
3. Anberlin
4.U2
5. Disciple

Raconteurs' latest album is amazing

mostly I hate u 02-07-2009 03:00 AM

1. Pantera
2. Black Sabbath
3. Metallica
4. Pink Floyd
5. Led Zeppelin

RPExecutor 02-07-2009 03:21 AM

BTBAM - the most killer prog metal i've ever heard. still. i know some people have problems with them, but they're honestly ****ing fantastic. Alaska was an awesome death metal album and Colors was one of the top 10 albums of '07. whether you want the epic feel, the brutal, chaotic approach, or the soaring acoustic melodies, BTBAM does it, and does it well.

Misery Signals - true innovators of metalcore. Mirrors and OMatMH were truly reminiscent of Botch's best days. the math-rock influence they stick in all their songs is fantastic and makes a much better sound to listen to than your standard metalcore.

Circle Takes The Square - possibly the best lyrical band this side of... well, anything, really. if that's too controversial for you, say "the decade". seriously, though, this band constantly pushes out the lyrical boundaries and always manages to remind me that the true meaning of "emo" is "emotion".

Botch - i've been blathering about them quite a bit all around, but these guys invented metalcore for BFMV and Trivium to wreck. they're completely classic and i would love to have them back.

Krallice - now THAT'S (prog) black metal. all of their songs are a wonderful waterfall of tremolo picking, endless blastbeats, Mick Barr's harsh witch-shriek, and each band member playing their own different song. when Colin Marston said "we're a nature band" he must have been kidding, because nothing natural is this good.

hashishish 02-07-2009 03:23 AM

Tool
Alice In Chains
Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster
The Zico Chain
The Locust

radomu 02-07-2009 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPExecutor
BTBAM - the most killer prog metal i've ever heard. still. i know some people have problems with them, but they're honestly ****ing fantastic. Alaska was an awesome death metal album and Colors was one of the top 10 albums of '07. whether you want the epic feel, the brutal, chaotic approach, or the soaring acoustic melodies, BTBAM does it, and does it well.

Misery Signals - true innovators of metalcore. Mirrors and OMatMH were truly reminiscent of Botch's best days. the math-rock influence they stick in all their songs is fantastic and makes a much better sound to listen to than your standard metalcore.

Circle Takes The Square - possibly the best lyrical band this side of... well, anything, really. if that's too controversial for you, say "the decade". seriously, though, this band constantly pushes out the lyrical boundaries and always manages to remind me that the true meaning of "emo" is "emotion".

Botch - i've been blathering about them quite a bit all around, but these guys invented metalcore for BFMV and Trivium to wreck. they're completely classic and i would love to have them back.

Krallice - now THAT'S (prog) black metal. all of their songs are a wonderful waterfall of tremolo picking, endless blastbeats, Mick Barr's harsh witch-shriek, and each band member playing their own different song. when Colin Marston said "we're a nature band" he must have been kidding, because nothing natural is this good.

Interesting because I've never even heard any of those bands... :(

RPExecutor 02-07-2009 03:41 AM

^ it's cool. they don't mind.

but you should eventually. check every single one of them out.

and now to piss everyone off i'll list some recommendations:

BTBAM - All Bodies, Ants Of The Sky
Misery Signals - The Failsafe, Five Years
CTTS - Non-Objective Portrait Of Karma, A Crater To Cough In
Botch - Japam, Frequency Ass Bandit
Krallice - Forgiveness In Rot. nothing else suffices for that band; it's undoubtedly their best song. 15 minutes long, so plug and play... and play... and play... and play...

mikey son 02-07-2009 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radomu
Interesting because I've never even heard any of those bands... :(

Do you live under a rock :D

radomu 02-07-2009 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey son
Do you live under a rock :D

No, I'm just not interested in contemporary heavy metal that much or Prog rock.