UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Copa's first build (Warning: will progress slowly!) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1141743)

Copaman 06-10-2009 09:13 PM

Copa's first build - FINISHED

Finished. Pics on page 7 and 8 (in 40 post per page mode)

This is what I have planned. As it's my first build, I'm buying a neck instead of making one.

Mahogany (possibly Alder. Not sure yet.) Body
24 3/4" scale Bolt-On Mahogany Neck.
22 Frets
Rosewood Fretboard
Chrome Hardware
Still unsure of the finish. Thinking about a solid color for relative ease.

====

EDIT on 2/28/2010

Specs (95% final) for those interested:

Padauk Body
24 3/4" scale Bolt-On, 5-piece Sapele/Flame Maple/Sapele/FM/Sapele neck.
24 Frets on a Rosewood Fretboard, 12" radius.
TDM SHO AlNiCo 5 Bridge Pup
TUSQ XL nut
Wrap around bridge
Abalone Block inlays
Wilkinson EZ-Lok Tuners
Crome Top Hat knobs
500K Pots

There aren't any pictures in the thread from before 2/28/2010! Here's Why:

I went through my Photobucket account today (2/28/2010) and reorganized everything, so all the pictures I posted in this thread had broken links. If you want to see the photos I've posted of the build from before 2/28/2010, here is a link to the album. Copa's First Build Album

All future photos will be made in posts added to the thread. Or you could just look at the album. Whichever.

bv310 06-10-2009 09:16 PM

looks... Interesting. :p:

Combo LP-Cadillac-something with a split tail?

f22master 06-10-2009 09:18 PM

dude! monkey grip it! ALA the JEM! DO IT NOW!!!

epiphonesg94 06-10-2009 09:19 PM

I don't care too much for the split tail, but then again, not my guitar. Overall, nice design. I think it will turn out nice.

blindsagacity 06-10-2009 09:21 PM

^yes! monkey grip!

looks cool, different :)

personally I'd make the bottom cutout a wee bit more flowy, but thats just my opinion.

Copaman 06-10-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bv310
looks... Interesting. :p:

Combo LP-Cadillac-something with a split tail?

Yeah... not many people have taken an instant liking to it, except for me of course :haha:

Les Paul + Explorer (Horn) + Corvus II (Tail) = Lespaulisaurus! I need a better name for it...

Quote:
dude! monkey grip it! ALA the JEM! DO IT NOW!!!

If I do a grip, it'll be a full-hand ergo on the horn, similar to the Herman Li (check plz) but different.

Quote:
Overall, nice design. I think it will turn out nice.

bv310 06-10-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copaman
Yeah... not many people have taken an instant liking to it, except for me of course :haha:

Les Paul + Explorer (Horn) + Corvus II (Tail) = Lespaulisaurus! I need a better name for it...

If I do a grip, it'll be a full-hand ergo on the horn, similar to the Herman Li (check plz) but different.

I like it. No matter what, can't turn out worse than Austinzor's (which shall never be mentioned again) :p:

The grip looks pretty cool, too.

f22master 06-10-2009 09:26 PM

yeah, ive seen the Li grip. i just think the monkey grip would be better for this application. the Li grip is a lot less pronounced. the monkey grip would go well with this crazy design IMHO.

Copaman 06-10-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22master
yeah, ive seen the Li grip. i just think the monkey grip would be better for this application. the Li grip is a lot less pronounced. the monkey grip would go well with this crazy design IMHO.

Where would I put it? Bottom left in the picture above?

Quote:
I like it.

f22master 06-10-2009 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i would put it here (but at a more 'ergonomical' angle)

*please excuse HORRIBLE paint skillz! i made this in 5 seconds!*

Copaman 06-12-2009 09:03 AM

I'll have to think about it :)

As for a finish, any suggestions? Please keep in mind I'd like to stay halfway easy. I've started debating doing something like this, but in different colors...

Copaman 06-15-2009 07:59 PM

Sorry for the double post. I found some earlier sketches in my notebook and I manipulated my body design to match them. Not sure which one I'll go for.

Refer to the First Post of the thread for this picture

Opinions?

Pikka Bird 06-15-2009 08:15 PM

I was just about to say "Put some more Corvus into the ass!", and you went and did it... Congratulations. Much better. Even better if you moved the split tail a little to the bass side and maybe made the horn a little more wedge-shaped instead of almost the same thickness all the way. I like the last version, but with those changes I'll love it.

deftonesordie 06-15-2009 08:23 PM

I don't like that lip. the previous design was a little more friendly on the eyes.

as for the paint, Don't use nasty Pollock colours, Use bright contrasting colours or it'll look like someone just relieved their bowels all over it.

Copaman 06-15-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikka Bird
Even better if you moved the split tail a little to the bass side and maybe made the horn a little more wedge-shaped instead of almost the same thickness all the way.

Dunno what I'll do about the split tail - I like it at the moment but I'll think about it. As for the horn, my CAD program is constraining it weird so it's not coming out right... I was going to take my printout template and make a few changes after it prints out. That horn IS supposed to be visibly thicker towards the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftonesordie
I don't like that lip. the previous design was a little more friendly on the eyes.

Like I said, the CAD program is contstraining weird. The lip will be rounded out nice and curvy-like, and the dip which goes in towards the pickups on that side will be more similar to the dip on the other side.

As for paint, the more I thought about it, the more you bring up a good point. I'll either do a solid color or a stain and clearcoat if I get some nice grain.

Still trying to decide on wood. I should have that figured out by Wednesday... a day full of school exams and work tomorrow :mad:

Copaman 06-17-2009 09:33 PM

See First Post for this Pic

New Body Design. Probably final.

Also, anybody who has an opinion - Walnut vs. Cherry! Go!

deftonesordie 06-17-2009 11:43 PM

Whalnut ftw.

Kylianvb 06-18-2009 02:46 AM

I think this one will look awesome in Cherry. Liking the design, by the way.

Kurapica 06-18-2009 03:07 AM

I was actually more of a fan of the second design...seemed more substantial.

Lurcher 06-18-2009 03:39 AM

Constructive criticism. That tail is going to weaken the whole body unless you switch to a neck-thru construction. Would be a terrible shame to have such an interesting design split on you.
Assuming you either do the neck-thru or lessen the split a bit, there's not a whole lot of wood there. To give it a bit of tone you might consider Walnut or Rosewood instead of Mahogany or Alder. Mahogany is fine if you get a really good piece.