UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Computer aka NO BOOBS HERE thread 10.6 ... or 7 (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1178317)

paintITblack39 08-07-2009 11:31 PM

Computer aka NO BOOBS HERE thread 10.6 ... or 7

general rules apply, so no flaming, spam, etc.
also, a big one: posting things that may cause a flame war, such as "macs are better" or "macs suck" or "get a mac" shall result in a warning. consider this your unwritten warning when you enter this thread.

also:

if you like to answer questions with technology/computers and want to contribute, feel free to stick this thread for yourself (it's the link at the top of the first post ... hint hint.

Useful links
power supply calculator!
Newegg
Lifehacker (useful blogs for productive windows/mac downloads)

more links can be added. just PM me or another moderator with the links and title in the following format:

all computer/tech based questions or news go here. anything else shall be reported and closed by a moderator.
anyway, to start things off from the last thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimebagLivesOn
Ok, I'm super worried/pissed. I bought a laptop last week and now when I turn it on all I get is a blank screen after it "resumes windows".
Help :(

right now it sounds like a BIOS issue. you would have to go to the manufacturer's website and update it.
anyway, does anyone know a few things about networking? here's my issue copied from the apple support forums:
Quote:
these are the things that are running in my wired/wireless network:
13 inch macbook pro (2.26 GHz intel core 2 duo)
Dell XPS M1330 (windows vista 32-bit home premium with wireless N networking)
HP 14-inch laptop (vista 32-bit home premium with wireless G)
A desktop that i built by myself (vista home premium 32-bit with wired networking)
iPod touch 2G (not on all the time, wireless)
xbox 360 (not on all the time, wired)
playstation 3 (not on all the time, wireless)

my current provider is AT&T and i have their DSL service. they provided me with an old 2wire 1800HG that serves as a modem and, formerly, my router. i have disabled the wireless in that device since i bought the airport extreme.

the issue: every device listed up there with a wireless connection has an incredibly slow internet connection, save for my macbook pro. the dell xps seems to be running much better than the other devices, but the connection can still be spotty. my PS3 estimated a 400MB download to be finished at an estimated 550 minutes (9 hours), yet under my old wireless G connection, i could have finished it within one hour. i've also figured out that my PS3 is getting a measley 27% signal, yet it's receiving a 100% signal from my neighbor's router. i've thought about returning the AEBS, but i figured that i'll give support a shot before i actually do something along the lines of that.

was it just the way it was set-up, or is there a device in the network that's screwing things up?

EDIT: it is also noted that the dell xps got a full signal when i reset the modem and the name of the network was changed to "Apple Network XXXXXX". when i set it up with the airport utility, the same habits began to occur and the computer was receiving 3 bars out of 5.

yes, i'm using an airport extreme.

guitar4life24 08-07-2009 11:33 PM

computers ftw

edit can a fan thats runs too much freeze my computer?

RHCP987123 08-07-2009 11:38 PM

idk if this thread is gonna be a big one, but im gonna do it b/c i dont care.
FIRST PAGE! :cool:

CTangent 08-07-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar4life24
computers ftw

Freeze?

As in lock up, I'd say no. As in freeze to the point where the motherboard/power supply/etc. doesn't work, absolutely not.

Lamboman43 08-07-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:
computers ftw

No. There's a reason people use liquid nitrogen to cool their super overclocked CPU's.

The colder the better for the comp. Anyways, I dont think fans can get your computer below 32 degrees.

PS There's a lightning storm outside.

rmr024 08-07-2009 11:50 PM

I've been having some popup problems lately.( The kind that appear as normal web-browsers). Everytime I run a virus scan all it finds is various tracking cookies, which often have the same names as the site names of the popups that appear. I have no idea how to go about fixing this.

I have tried increasing my popup blocking settings, which did nothing. I've tried to just delete all cookies, but I still get pop ups afterward. I am stumped, especially since after doing some research and learning that cookies dont cause pop ups. So whats all this about? :confused:

paintITblack39 08-08-2009 12:16 AM

i'm going to assume you have some sort of virus or spyware running in your system.

it could also be your browser. internet explorer 6 or earlier has no security whatsoever and is pretty **** as a browser. switch to something much better, quicker, and more secure, such as google chrome, mozilla firefox, or opera. safari is also good, too.

anti-virus software generally doesn't help with cleaning out existing viruses or spyware. you can use a variety of different software available in cnet.com's download site, but they may not be 100% efficient. the best way to get rid of a virus is to do clean install of the current operating system. you would have to back up all of your music and personal files to an external device and find your operating system disc or a restore disc. if you don't have one, then i'd suggest downloading an image file of the current OS that you own and when you're prompted to enter a product key, look at the bottom of your computer for the windows key (if it's a laptop) or look at the side of your computer (if it's a desktop).

M!TCH 08-08-2009 01:23 AM

Ipod backup

Wondering if anyone knows of a FREE full verion of some sort of ipod to comuter backup software. I gotta reset mine and im having trouble finding software that isnt a trial
Thx in advance

sadSTATUE 08-08-2009 01:59 AM

If what you're looking for is a iPod to Computer transfer program, I used something called FroddlePod. There was something wrong with the initial program, but there's a patch you can download that'll fix it. Only problem is, it won't keep your playlists.

afromonkeyR0X 08-08-2009 02:11 AM

What you can do is plug in your iPod to your computer (duh!) and then locate it under My Computer somewhere. Then go into "Folder & Search Options" tab over to "View" then unhide all folders/sub-folders. Now there should be a new folder labeled: iPod_Control. This is good.

Open iPod_Control to find more folders. Open the one that says Music. If done correctly you should see a whole bunch of folders with names like F00, F01, F04, etc. Select all of these and copy them onto a folder on your desktop. This part could take up to a half and hour, depening on how many songs you have on your iPod.

After the copying is finished, Open iTunes. Go into File, and Add Folder to Library. Find the folder you just created, and add it to iTunes. This will add everything in the folder to iTunes Library. Again, this may take a long time, but not as long as the copying did...

After that you can get a disc and copy all the songs/media onto it to have your stuff stored safely. This is easy because it requires no software; other than iTunes.

Hopefully this helps and if not be sure to ask about anything you are unsure of.

'Leviathan' 08-08-2009 02:17 AM

When I backed my music up, I used afromonkey's method, but you can also use software such as iDump and Floola to backup your music. I like doing it program-free, though.

ripjoestrummer 08-08-2009 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamboman43
No. There's a reason people use liquid nitrogen to cool their super overclocked CPU's.

The colder the better for the comp. Anyways, I dont think fans can get your computer below 32 degrees.

PS There's a lightning storm outside.

Freezing is relative, like room temperature. 32 degrees isn't necessarily freezing.

'Leviathan' 08-08-2009 02:36 AM

I swear my post was moved. :haha

dark&broken 08-08-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintITblack39
general rules apply, so no flaming, spam, etc.
also, a big one: posting things that may cause a flame war, such as "macs are better" or "macs suck" or "get a mac" shall result in a warning. consider this your unwritten warning when you enter this thread.

:confused:

:p:

Benjabenja 08-08-2009 06:06 PM

Macs s.....oh wait

Simsimius 08-08-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:
computers ftw

By Freezing, do you mean cause the computer to not work? Or reduce temperature?

If you mean not working, then the PSU may not have enough supply to supply components, so in theory a fan could cause the computer to freeze due to lack of power supply to other essential components. But's that's unlikely unles you upgraded to a new uber fast fan.

thefoldarsoldar 08-09-2009 09:52 PM

Hey!

I'm trying to copy a file to my external hard drive and suddenly I get this message!

Any idea what this means or how to fix it?

Using Mac OSX 10.4 btw.

SteveHouse 08-10-2009 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoldarsoldar
Hey!

I'm trying to copy a file to my external hard drive and suddenly I get this message!

*error -51*

Any idea what this means or how to fix it?

Using Mac OSX 10.4 btw.

Should we assume all your connections and power cables stayed connected, and that you didn't do anything with the file while moving it?

SHEdit: This is a brief overview of all the OS X error codes.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1618

davrossss 08-10-2009 12:09 AM

cool new thread I look foward to the geek levels overflowing into the pit

paintITblack39 08-10-2009 12:14 AM

what file are you transferring?
what kind of external hard drive are you using? i want brand, connection type, and size (2.5 inches or 3.5 inches)
do you know what format your hard drive is in?
can you transfer out of your hard drive?