UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Metal (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Djent - Opinions? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1179653)

Magero 08-10-2009 12:45 AM

Djent - Opinions?

Right.
So, lately there has been a spate of bands coming out (mostly in the UK) playing a style that combines the offtime, low tuned rhythmic chugging of Meshuggah with the ambient atmosphere of Devin Townsend and the ridiculous sweeping of any of those shredders no one cares about. The term to describe these bands has been labelled "Djent", apparently because that's the sound the guitars make with each of the low tuned notes.

Examples:

Etc

Opinions?

Personally: Sick of it. Meshuggah did it best and now every idiot who learns how to sweep, buys a 7 or an 8 string and just starts writing shit in Guitar Pro with odd time sigs.

2012 edit: I've changed my tune a little since then and currently enjoy a fair amount of djent. :p: I still think the scene needs to expand beyond "Meshuggah riff + tapping part + Devin Townsend ambience", but bands like TesseracT, Vildhjarta, Textures, and Corelia are pretty awesome, so I'll let bygones be bygones.

Guitar_Kingdom 08-10-2009 12:48 AM

I agree, most djent sounds generic and uninspired...god I hope it doesn't become the next "big thing"

Habs 08-10-2009 12:54 AM

What a loser.. haha

MoogleRancha 08-10-2009 12:55 AM

As with pretty much every subgenre of metal,

some good, most bad.

RedDeath9 08-10-2009 01:17 AM

I have nothing against the music. I essentially agree with MoggleRancha's post.

However... I hate that word. Djent.

... Djent...

**** that...

MoogleRancha 08-10-2009 01:19 AM

Pronounced "dyent," "jent," or "da-jent?"

RedDeath9 08-10-2009 01:21 AM

I don't even know. In my head, it's "jent," with just a hint of the d at the start. Barely noticeable.

Magero 08-10-2009 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDeath9

... Djent...

**** that...

Agreed.
I just hate the term and the prevalence it's finding.
It's pronounced as "jent" with that tiny bit of d at the beginning, which leads to bands like The Djentlemen -facepalm-

Guitar_Kingdom 08-10-2009 01:22 AM

Quote:
I don't even know. In my head, it's "jent," with just a hint of the d at the start. Barely noticeable.

Or it may be deee - gent for all we know :shrug:

EDIT: Mag's post just made mine useless :p:

MoogleRancha 08-10-2009 01:23 AM

Good show, djents.

Lappo 08-10-2009 01:24 AM

Yeah, definitely dislike the term.

Some of the peeps doing it are pretty good, though. Bulb, Periphery, Cloudkicker.

esp the last, really bosstastic instrumental, releases all his albums for free on the interweb (check myspazz)

madbasslover 08-10-2009 01:26 AM

I like it, but it needs to die. It's a fairly one dimensional style of music as far as all of its artists are apparently concerned.

Unquestionable 08-10-2009 01:32 AM

Interesting musical qualities such as polymeters and the like are no doubt interesting. However, I do feel that a large amount of the so called "djent" I've heard seems to sound noticeably insincere. I feel that that bands occupying this genre should take a page from one of their {no doubt} primary influences Meshuggah and develop their own style. I just feel that the majority of these artists do not remain engaging to myself as I can point out the distinct Meshuggah-esque themes. Don't take any of my comments to seriously folks, these are simply the narcissistic ramblings of a somewhat discerning metal listener.

Cheers,
UnQuestionable.

Kepulix 08-10-2009 04:31 AM

Absolute bullshit

Seriously, probably the worst "sub-genre" name ever

webbtje 08-10-2009 04:46 AM

Quote:

... Djent...

**** that...

Agree. It makes my eyelid twitch.

There are a couple of OK bands (TesseracT spring to mind) but it seems that most of these band happily copy each other just as much as Meshuggah. Seriously, it all sounds exactly. The fucking. Same.

metallifan3091 08-10-2009 04:54 AM

I like Periphery pretty well, but the word djent is stupid. Not too familiar with any other groups that do it.

pistols 08-10-2009 05:48 AM

magero, after all this time you've spent trying to get everyone to be open minded towards deathcore, you start putting heaps of **** on an entire genre? :p:

Magero 08-10-2009 05:53 AM

This "entire genre" has about 10 bands in it, a fucking stupid name, a fucking stupid cult following, everyone involved is revered as some sort of inhuman god, and every band sounds identical.
That's still my opinion and I created the thread for people to discuss theirs.
Besides, I hate a few genres a fair bit more.

pistols 08-10-2009 06:22 AM

the only one of those points that doesn't apply to most deathcore is the 10 bands :p:

although i have to agree on this stuff, it gets boring fairly quick. there's only so much chugging and sweep / tapping that can sound good in one song.

Butt Rayge 08-10-2009 06:28 AM

True, about the similarities.

This isn't that bad. Pretty interesting actually. 10 bands are a change from one, right? provides a bit of diversity instead of just having to listen to Meshuggah all the time.

The only thing I really dislike about this genre are the bands with too much core influence. (like the 3rd[?] link in the OP)