UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   JUNK Geetar. [001] (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180707)

Rum Monkey 08-11-2009 04:29 PM

JUNK Geetar. [001]

Hey guys & girls.

Thought i would try something a little different compared to most of the summer builds that happen on here.

The idea is that i will build a guitar from scratch, spending no money whatsoever on the build itself and only using the basic tools that i have, and parts that i can find, beg, steal and/or borrow.

Hopefully, in the end i will have a fairly playable archtop/semi acoustic classical electric guitar. Not everyones taste i know, but I'm looking to build a guitar that is totally unique and that has its very own sound.

I managed to salvage a neck from an old classical guitar that i found in a skip a year or so ago (along with the bridge, which i will also be using). I managed to find a pretty beat up table top made from Mahogany which i will be using for the top.

TLDR; I are building a guitars from scratch spending no money whatsoever. Lots of begging, stealing and/or borrowing.

Updates and pictures to follow!

emma9393 08-11-2009 04:43 PM

i'd like to see you not buy strings :p:

Rum Monkey 08-11-2009 04:45 PM

...Touché

blindsagacity 08-11-2009 04:54 PM

you can always try to barder and trade for strings

apak 08-11-2009 04:58 PM

lol. awesome. This is gonna take years. :lurk:

dandadog 08-11-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Monkey
...Touché

:haha

If I had any spare cheap sets of strings I'd send them to you, just to prove him wrong. I'll try to get some strings, and if you manage this, I'll send them to you. :) :haha:

Hotpress 08-11-2009 05:23 PM

Im goin Enjoi wathin this thread for a while anyway :D Best of luck with it :lurk:

Rum Monkey 08-11-2009 05:52 PM

Reet, seeing as a few of you seem interested, i've made a Flickr account to show you guys the updates and schtuff.

Heres the account; i will try to update it daily, but i hold no promises :haha: Oh, and i will obviously post updates here as well.

The neck is now pretty much finished, so i will try and grab some pics of that either now or tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apak
lol. awesome. This is gonna take years. :lurk:

Care to make a wager?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandadog
If I had any spare cheap sets of strings I'd send them to you, just to prove him wrong. I'll try to get some strings, and if you manage this, I'll send them to you. :) :haha:

If you did this, i would love you forever and ever! Seriously though, I'm sure i could trade my way for some strings. I would feel so guilty if anyone gave me something!

Anyway, cheers for the interest guys :cheers:

apak 08-11-2009 06:00 PM

lol no. I'm not going to bet. I was exaggerating.

rootbeerjuice 08-11-2009 06:07 PM

Are you going to cut the body with your teeth, and sand it with a nail file?

Schism1985 08-11-2009 07:37 PM

how will you get pickups spending no money?

emma9393 08-11-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism1985

i've never seen an acoustic with pickups before

TheBigProjekt 08-11-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism1985

*reads thread*

*reads classical guitar*

*reads post*

*reads join date*

*realizes I joined after him*

*leaves thread*

blindsagacity 08-11-2009 08:57 PM

Id be willing to trade something stupid for the chesp set off my old strat knockoff

RJackson 08-11-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigProjekt
*reads thread*

*reads classical guitar*

*reads post*

*reads join date*

*leaves thread*

:facepalm:

*reads thread*

*reads semi acoustic classical electric guitar*

*reads post*

*reads join date*

*leaves thread*

emma9393 08-12-2009 12:11 AM

lol this is such a good idea but almost every post besides TS's is just :wtf:

Slay 'Em 08-12-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Monkey
Hey guys & girls.

Thought i would try something a little different compared to most of the summer builds that happen on here.

The idea is that i will build a guitar from scratch, spending no money whatsoever on the build itself and only using the basic tools that i have, and parts that i can find, beg, steal and/or borrow.

Hopefully, in the end i will have a fairly playable archtop/semi acoustic classical electric guitar. Not everyones taste i know, but I'm looking to build a guitar that is totally unique and that has its very own sound.

I managed to salvage a neck from an old classical guitar that i found in a skip a year or so ago (along with the bridge, which i will also be using). I managed to find a pretty beat up table top made from Mahogany which i will be using for the top.

TLDR; I are building a guitars from scratch spending no money whatsoever. Lots of begging, stealing and/or borrowing.

Updates and pictures to follow!

Dear lord...

Rum Monkey 08-12-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeerjuice
Are you going to cut the body with your teeth, and sand it with a nail file?

I don't want to appear rude or anything, but it clearly says that i will use the basic tools that i already have. Or at least borrow them from friends, neighbours etc. (But to be honest, i think i can get by with what i have).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJackson
:facepalm:

*reads thread*

*reads semi acoustic classical electric guitar*

*reads post*

*reads join date*

*leaves thread*

Well actually, as the strings are half steel, half nylon - I'm going to need a piezo of some sort. I managed to grab a piezo transducer from a buzzer, so i will hook that up to a pot, and then hook that up to a connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay 'Em
Dear lord...

It wos liek deliberate innit, yo. Werd.

Proper Update:

I have cut both the bottom and top pieces of the body today. And I'm halfway through routing the bottom. I will get on with routing out both of the sides this afternoon, hopefully.

Pictures to follow, as i know everyone likes pictures. Mmmmhmmm.

rootbeerjuice 08-12-2009 10:12 AM

^I know, that was a poor attempt at humor. :sad:

Can't wait to see the finished product!

pdawson 08-12-2009 10:30 AM

That's going to be a really sick guitar. I have an extra set of Ernie Ball strings and 6 cheap tuners if you need them.

Edit- I'm not sure if the tuners would work with nylon strings