UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   UK users! Referendum! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1227339)

gabcd86 11-07-2009 02:18 PM

UK users! Referendum!

EDIT: Fucking duh. It's a hypothetical situation.

Shock horror! Gordon Brown has called a referendum on the European Union.

If the yes vote has it, the UK will begin the secession process from the EU, leading eventually, to full separation, including from any other pan-European associations.

If the no vote suceeds, the UK will remain a member of the EU, including the Lisbon Treaty's reforms.

There's no middle ground. It's Lisbon or loneliness.

*let's just hope UG is representative of the UK as a whole*

Non-UKers, go away. :P

blue_strat 11-07-2009 02:24 PM

The EU has the largest economy in the world - it would be stupid to leave it. The Government just needs to grow a pair and stand up to Brussels whenever a ridiculous bureaucratic meddler tries to fuck up what little they do get right.

Bumcivilian 11-07-2009 02:25 PM

I like the EU.

monkey_dancer 11-07-2009 02:25 PM

Leaving the EU is not a good idea.

aaciseric 11-07-2009 02:27 PM

I think we should stay in. Though to be honest I don't know much about what specifically this new treaty will change, just the general, I tried to listen to someone on the BBC explain it but they were just so boring I gave up trying.

NinjaSlayHuman 11-07-2009 02:27 PM

What...

Politics make me confused.

BrashPersona 11-07-2009 02:28 PM

Leaving the EU is a good idea.

More for British people is what I say.

I'm backing Nick Griffin and the BNP on similar grounds.

entity0009 11-07-2009 02:28 PM

Face-fucking-palm.

Can we get a link or some kind of confirmation of this?

Callum89 11-07-2009 02:28 PM

In

monkey_dancer 11-07-2009 02:29 PM

^^ +1, I can't find anything mentioning it.

funny_page 11-07-2009 02:29 PM

wow!! but i think really the british people still want the EU but not the Lisbon treaty so its hard to say whats best :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashPersona

:haha: seriously !?!? gotta save more for these "indigenous" british huh?? (yeah that 1% of us) unless some of that 1% is made up of gay people, because they arent allowed !!

:haha :haha the BNP !!! what a joke

Adamtbh 11-07-2009 02:30 PM

I dont actually think, throughout this whole debate i have seen a single newspaper or news report explaining explicitly what the Lisbon treaty actually means for us, but it would have to be pretty radical to warrant leaving the EU

BlueTele1983 11-07-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashPersona

:golfclap:

aaciseric 11-07-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamtbh
I dont actually think, throughout this whole debate i have seen a single newspaper or news report explaining explicitly what the Lisbon treaty actually means for us, but it would have to be pretty radical to warrant leaving the EU

I know there's something about 5 new areas it's going to revolutionize, but they have been very vague.

Well, Wiki says this:

Quote:
Prominent changes included more qualified majority voting in the Council of Ministers, increased involvement of the European Parliament in the legislative process through extended codecision with the Council of Ministers, eliminating the pillar system and the creation of a President of the European Council with a term of two and a half years and a High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy to present a united position on EU policies. The Treaty of Lisbon will also make the Union's human rights charter, the Charter of Fundamental Rights, legally binding.

Which is still quite vague.

BrashPersona 11-07-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTele1983

rigiddigits 11-07-2009 02:37 PM

"Tick here if you are a reactionary Middle England xenophobe in which case your vote will not be counted on account of you being too blinkered by mindless hate and fear of the unknown to even remotely comprehend the negative economic, cultural and social implications of leaving the EU particularly in the middle of a recession, you dick."

I'm in. The EU is the world's second largest superpower. We should be in their gang.

captaincrunk 11-07-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigiddigits
I'm in. The EU is the world's second largest superpower. We should be in their gang.

Because hegemony is a good thing, right?

Ur all $h1t 11-07-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamtbh

My theory is that no-one in the entire world has ever actually read the Lisbon treaty, or ever will, including the people who wrote it.

GaijinFoot 11-07-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur all $h1t
My theory is that no-one in the entire world has ever actually read the Lisbon treaty, or ever will, including the people who wrote it.

haha I agree with that.
I've not heard a single thing from it.

I voted out.
Millions of people have died to keep independence. Why should we sign that away without any facts?

rigiddigits 11-07-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk
Because hegemony is a good thing, right?
I'm saying it would be foolhardy to distance ourselves from an economic giant. What's the alternative? America won't do shit for us. It works both ways - we need to have more British influence in Europe, not less. If we withdraw from the EU, we'll lose all of our privileges and influence.

I just can't believe people think that we don't need the European Union. The British Empire doesn't exist anymore.