UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Spector Basses? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1337726)

Nolanrox 07-13-2010 06:26 PM

Spector Basses?

So I've been hearing a bit about Spector basses. I know one of my favorite bassists, Dan Briggs (typical, I know) plays Spector. Protest The Hero's bassist plays Spector. Rex Brown plays Spector. Alex Webster plays Spectors (I think). But there has to be something bad about them. I'm really looking into a Legend Classic 5, the neck feels amazing. The bass itself is just so comfortable. But I know I'm going to have to make some modifications to it. What is wrong with Spector basses?

Dream Floyd 07-13-2010 06:33 PM

They're actually pretty good, though their guitars feel like basses. Also, they're 'pretty' expensive if you're going to 'seriously' modify it. How much modification are talking here?

Nolanrox 07-13-2010 06:39 PM

I've heard that the pick ups on them are pretty crappy. So I'd probably just switch the pick ups on them, but to what kind of pick ups...I have no idea.

PRSfanatic 07-13-2010 06:48 PM

Well try saving up for a euro series... Million times better. The legends are the "low-end" ones. They're good, but not you can get better basses for better prices, but the euros and us made ones are amazing and have a very characteristic tone

Nolanrox 07-13-2010 06:54 PM

There's no way I can offered a Euro series. I'm pretty much selling everything I have just to get the Legend Classic 5. I guess I could sell my SR and my RG and my Carvin amp.

nesveikuolis 07-13-2010 06:59 PM

Check out the ReBop http://spectorbass.com/bass_euro_ReBop5DLXFM_1.html basses. They are Czech made, I'm thinking of getting one myself. 1100eu brand new.

Nolanrox 07-13-2010 07:07 PM

That is really nice looking, but it's about $1,400 in the US =\
I'm selling my Carvin for $800 since I got it for $1,200.
And I'm selling my guitars for $250-200 each.
Maybe I'll have enough since my birthday is next thursday.

nesveikuolis 07-13-2010 07:12 PM

Check ebay for them, spectors are a popular item there.

thunderbritches 07-14-2010 12:14 AM

As migrated from your other thread...

I have a couple complaints about my Spector Legend:
1. When I received it from fed ex the factory put too many spacing washers in the jack and so my cable kept falling out so I had to do surgery on it. During surgery I noticed quite a bit of shoddy soldering.

2. While performing surgery the ground to the bridge was just barely tacked on so it go pulled loose which meant I had to take off the strings and bridge to fix the problem. It still has an annoying hum from not being grounded correctly though because of the very small little spot of bare metal they left so when I get overly annoyed with it I'll have to fix it again.

Yea the second one is my fault but it wouldn't have happened had the factory had set it up correctly.

Another complaint you'll hear alot is that it's made of basswood. Those people are just purists and have most likely never given the bass a good shot.

The set up is great, low action, neck is a little chunky but mine is a sixer.

The sound is...well you get what you pay for. $600 and you get a pretty good sound. It won't sound like Dan, Arif, or Rex but it most certainly doesn't sound bad. The pickups are fine but if you wanted to switch to the active EMG's no one would blame you lol

Overall a good bass and I would recommend it, mine just came with some sloppy work from the factory but its all fixable.

Though if you can afford it definitely scavenge ebay for a used Euro or Euro Rebop and you won't be disappointed

Nolanrox 07-14-2010 12:22 AM

If I got it. I'd probably just use it for at home play for my Prog. Metal side project. I really like them and I found a Euro ReBop for cheap and I REALLY want it.

fleajr_1412 07-14-2010 03:01 AM

Get the Rebop. I have one and the only thing I regret is not getting a fiver.

nesveikuolis 07-14-2010 05:19 AM

Go with the ReBop - from what I heard, it's a wonderful instrument. If I could, I'd buy myself one ASAP. But since I can't, I'll do that when I can afford it.

Din of Win 07-14-2010 08:56 AM

I have a Spector Ledgend 4.

It's... ehhhhh...

Not terrible by ANY means, but not really amazing. I traded an Ibanez SRX390 for it and i feel like i got the short end of the stick on that deal.

The neck IS sweet. The body isn't bad at all either. It's super light weight and balanced pretty well with a strap.

The pick ups are pretty 'meh'. However... i'm not a huge fan of humbuckers. They're really not too bad though.

I really only use this bass for 'nice' gigs, like weddings and stuff (and when my pastor step father wants my crust punk athiest self to play at his church). So these are low volumes i play at and always clean (maybe a liiiiittle overdrive).

In any case, i feel like i'm rambling and not really having any sort of point...

The Spector Ledgend series IS good for its price point. But, i would choose something else if i had the choice.

thedonutman 07-14-2010 06:23 PM

Find a used Rebop or a Euro. They are amazing basses. Great tone, great playability (although if you have small hands the 35" scale might be a problem) and great build quality.

Nolanrox 07-14-2010 06:48 PM

I have LONG ****ing fingers. So I'm pretty sure that a ReBop would work perfect. I'm also looking at an Ibanez ATK and a used Music Man Bongo 4. I have a few questions I would like you guys to answer for me.

1. What does the pick up switch on the ATK do?
2. What's the difference between the Bongo and a Stringray?
3. What the hell does "attack" mean on the ATK pick up selector?
4. Is $900 for a used Bongo worth it?

thedonutman 07-14-2010 07:54 PM

Bongo's have neodymium magnets in the pickups instead of alnico or ceramic. 18v 4-band preamp instead of 9v 2/3-band. Basswood body instead of alder/ash/poplar. Rosewood fretboard only. Completely different body shape. Painted necks. They are very very different basses.

Nolanrox 07-14-2010 08:01 PM

I got to play one yesterday, but I didn't get to plug it into anything. I love the way it played and felt. It was heavy but I really didn't care. How does it sound plugged in?

Ziphoblat 07-14-2010 09:25 PM

My personal experience with Spector legend models tells me that you can do a lot better for the money. As with anything, could have just been a bum guitar or personal preference.

I played a Euro model Spector Rebop in a music store once, and I thought it was a fantastic instrument. I went back and played it a few times, through different amps, and loved it every time. Was great to play, had a nice neck, but felt substantial too. The tone was solid also (this is coming from someone who generally prefers single coils). Unfortunately I never had the money to buy it at the time, and by the time I did have the money it had gone. If I ever have the money in future (when I'm not lusting over something else) I'll probably try pick one up.

However, not too long ago I had the opportunity to buy a Spector Legend 6 string in that Holoflash colour (which by the way, when I saw in the flesh, I found pretty tacky) for a pretty good price. Note; there was nothing up with it. I don't think I had it for any longer than a month though. It didn't play nicely at all (and I mean this is an objective way, it was just cumbersome, awkward, and rattled a lot). The worst part though was the tone. It was just flat as a pancake. I tried new batteries, new strings, everything, couldn't get a lively tone out of it at all. This may have been cheap humbuckers, but as I say, I've played basses I like with humbuckers in.

I sold the Spector Legend, and with the money I got for it I was able to buy a 70s reissue MIM Fender Jazz, which I thought was an infinitely better bass (though the MIM Fenders are hit and miss). Just the build quality, tone, and how it responded to playing was so much better. Not to try and plug Fender here, I'm aware the two aren't really comparable, but the point I'm trying to make is that where-as the real Spectors are quality instruments, the Legend series (in my opinion) are very lacklustre, even when you take their price into account. I'd either wait and go the full-hog, or look into some of your other options (such as Ibanez).

Nolanrox 07-14-2010 09:54 PM

Yeah, like many have said, the Legend series is pretty crappy. I don't plan on getting a Spector Legend any time soon unless I can't afford anything else. Even then I'd probably end up getting an ESP or something. I've heard a lot that Spectors sound and feel fine when you first play them, but over time they start to have a lot problem. But then again, every bass has problems. I'm sure the Bongo has a few issues that I'm not fully aware of. I'm sure the ATK has a few issues as well. Ibanez basses always have issues. But I'll take my time in trying to get a new bass. I'm not in any hurry until my band starts playing shows again, since we have no vocalist anymore. I'm probably going to keep asking around for recommendations and which bass has issues and so on and so on.

Although, Ziphoblat, you seem to know a lot about the basses. What kind of bass would you recommend to me?

http://www.myspace.com/fearismyfate
This is the band I play for now, we're going under many changes but this is just to give you a small idea about what I play. FYI, I just joined the band like...3 days ago =P

aguacateojos 07-14-2010 11:05 PM

Hey now, what's with all the Legend bashing? I've used mine fairly successfully in rock, funk, soul, jazz and a lot of in-betweens. It is incredibly comfortable and accessible, and I get FANTASTIC tone out of it. That being said, I desire a little more from it in the tone category - not a fan of the boost-only electronics. The folks at talkbass.com get a lot of questions about the electronics in the Legend and seem to recommend upgrading the pre-amp to an Aguilar OBP-3. I don't think think you necessarily need to do anything about the electronics, though. The way your instrument sounds when you're sitting alone at home is unbelievably different from how it sounds when you are in a band setting. I dial in killer tone on my own and it disappears when I'm at rehearsal/gigs. But with a bit of tweaking on my amp I cut through the mix like nobody's business and sound great.

To summarize - play a Legend, compare it to other basses, decide what you need while considering short- and long-term needs/goals.