UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   my Jillard inspired LegoBass (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1345761)

Doonan 08-02-2010 11:20 AM

my Jillard inspired LegoBass

so after seeing Jason Jillards Legocaster, i thought "i want a lego guitar."
but then i thought, "i want a bass."
not that i play bass much, i just didnt have one, and i wanted to build a guitar in general.

so, the original plan was to take this old bass guitar my friend has and cut it up and whatnot, but it was shit. so i got a spare piece of australian mahogany we had in the garage and used that as the middle piece.

money was an issue (i dont have much of it, and its my first build, so didnt want to spend much on it) so not everything is complete.
the neck is a bolt on from ebay.
the machine heads and bridge are also cheap things from ebay.
the pickups are cheap hong kong things.

there is still alot more i would ideally like to do to it (and will be), however, thats it at this point in time.

pictures:

and some size comparison
\

problems i encountered:
it doesnt work. so im re-wiring it in a few days because i did a pretty crappy job last time.
the strings sit really high off the fretboard
2 pickup screws snapped off when screwing them in, so now theyre just held in by 3 screws
2 screws broke when doing the machine heads, on the same one, on the same side. so i drilled a new hole and put a different screw in.

Jason Jillard 08-02-2010 11:30 AM

lol

Thanks for the Credit, there was a guy in UK i was featured in magazines and stuff with a lego guitar who claimed he thought of everything.

looks good tho

james4 08-02-2010 12:33 PM

looks good, except for that awful looking action

looks like you've just gotta put a shim in the neck pocket.
and if you still can't figure out the wiring, head over to the wiring thread and one of us guys over there'll help you out :)

housty 09-10-2010 09:06 PM

Can you go through how you did it? This build is inspiring me to do my own lego-tar:)))

Diminishedfaith 09-11-2010 12:36 AM

Why not glue legos to the face and rear of the wood to make it seem it's completely made of legos and detail paint the neck with brightly colored rectangles to tie in the theme. Would look epic. Maybe have the Lego action figures heads made into a decal to place over the inlays lol And paint the fretboard alternating blue red green yellow etc lol

Doonan 09-11-2010 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diminishedfaith
Why not glue legos to the face and rear of the wood to make it seem it's completely made of legos and detail paint the neck with brightly colored rectangles to tie in the theme. Would look epic. Maybe have the Lego action figures heads made into a decal to place over the inlays lol And paint the fretboard alternating blue red green yellow etc lol

i was gonna go all out like that, but its kinda over doing it. its like, i didnt want to make it seem like it was all lego, i wanted it known that the wood was there and that it actually held string tension and worked. plus this is ma first build lol.
but for the headstock, i do plan on putting lego on it, with a flat piece that i can write LegoBass on. ive also added a killswitch and have lego blocks/heads for the knobs/switches

housty: i sent you a message (also search Legocaster)

eddiehimself 09-11-2010 05:38 AM

Where is the "like" button? Seriously, this is a hell of a lot better than my first build that's 4 sho'.

SuklaaMuna 11-04-2010 04:17 PM

I want one :D seriously. But yeah it kinda sucks if the strings are so high .. :/

ruletheneck 12-23-2010 03:01 AM

that thing is a babe :D

salgala2000 12-24-2010 01:20 PM

Dude, Necrobump.

Please don't bump old threads for just a compliment. Or for anything else for that matter. Just PM TS if it's that important.