UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Metal (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Cnoc An Tursa (Celtic tinged Black Metal) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1361889)

AnnihiSlateR 09-15-2010 04:53 AM

Cnoc An Tursa (Celtic tinged Black Metal)

from the myspace
"Cnoc An Tursa (Hill of Sorrow) are a Scottish metal Band forged in 2006 in Falkirk, an ancient Borough whose Motto is:
‘Better Meddle wi the Deil than the Bairns O’ Falkirk’.

Intense, symphonic ballads combined with the tales of a much neglected art form, old Scottish poems, creates a totally unrivaled sound of heavy Scottish metal, with ravenous, melodic undertones, and ancient, rhythmical lyrics"

Not your typical black metal but I would say its the genre it falls closest into. I think they are really good, and surprisingly catchy as well, both in melodies and lyrics. They have a few demo tracks out at the moment, that I think were just given away on the myspcae, if you know where to look.

Their debut album is due out soon on Lone Vigil records.

http://www.myspace.com/cnocantursa
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540271358

*note: on last.fm and metal archives and a few other sites its written Cnocantursa. One of the free downloads the band gave away had it tagged as that, so thats how I have them in my Itunes. But technically it should be 3 words.

Deplorable 09-15-2010 04:54 AM

How do you say Cnoc?

AnnihiSlateR 09-15-2010 05:06 AM

I'm buggered if I know :p

I usually pronounce it like knock, but try and pronounce the N a little bit

logboy 09-15-2010 06:32 AM

Makes me want to stick my kilt on and dance around to it, i approve.

Stranglehold 09-15-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deplorable
How do you say Cnoc?

K'nuk...

The whole title is

'K'nuk un tursa/toorsa' (depending on region)

Deplorable 09-15-2010 07:09 AM

Cheers.

The bands pretty cool, I'll grab the full length when it comes out.

whirleygig 09-17-2010 02:50 PM

Saw these guys live not long ago, they put on a great show. Really good stuff - symphonic/folky black metal for people who don't usually like symphonic/folky black metal, like me.
One of the better Scottish black metal bands, good to see the scene is on the rise.

AnnihiSlateR 06-03-2011 09:36 AM

Shouldn't be too long before the album is out, just saw this on facebook

andyscoot 06-03-2011 09:42 AM

Had this come before christmas, i'd have been one happy chappy. Oh how things change :p:

AnnihiSlateR 06-03-2011 10:01 AM

The ironic (for want of a better word) thing is, it was originally due before Christmas :haha:

Dyer's Eve 06-03-2011 12:45 PM

Ah, I saw these guys support Wodensthrone and Winterfylleth a while back. Put on a really good show.

A nice reminder for me to check out their stuff.

AnnihiSlateR 10-03-2012 08:31 AM

Well today they have signed to Candlelight Records. Hopefully nearly two on, we will get to hear the album.

Kytokinesis 10-03-2012 05:49 PM

So is Bannockburn the only song they have out right now? How does one acquire it?

AnnihiSlateR 10-03-2012 06:00 PM

They have 8 tracks that have been available at some point or other. There was a scottish black metal blog that they were uploaded to, but that's since gone. Check your inbox in about half an hours time ;)
edit: I can't be faffed waiting sitting waiting. I'm going away from the PC but leaving it uploading. So it might be a bit longer than half an hour.

Kytokinesis 10-03-2012 06:20 PM

:five:

Burning_Angel 10-03-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnihiSlateR
They have 8 tracks that have been available at some point or other. There was a scottish black metal blog that they were uploaded to, but that's since gone. Check your inbox in about half an hours time ;)
edit: I can't be faffed waiting sitting waiting. I'm going away from the PC but leaving it uploading. So it might be a bit longer than half an hour.

You should hook me up too, Neil.

This stuff reminds me of Sacramentum, but more folky. Therefore, it is great.

AnnihiSlateR 10-04-2012 06:06 AM

Done ;)

Kytokinesis 04-02-2013 09:45 PM

So the album just, out already I guess. I'm so used to listening to the demos the more embellished production sounds a little weird to me :p:

Sounds awesome though.

crazysam23_Atax 04-02-2013 11:34 PM

Don't usually get into folky metal, but this is quite good.

Burning_Angel 04-03-2013 12:20 AM

Havent listened to the album yet, but I enjoy the demos you gave me, Neil. I will say from the tracks I've heard, the album sounds... good, but the vocals sound too high in the mix. Minor detail though I think it will be fine.

Also most folksy metal is dull or just metal/rock dressed up with folk trappings. But it's good when it's just subtle/well integrated for more than just aesthetics and catchiness. Say, like Moonsorrow, this band, Wodensthrone, etc.