UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   New Guitar Day. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1393558)

kangaxxter 12-22-2010 06:47 PM

New Guitar Day.

On Saturday, I went down to the Guitar Center to play around with some Guitars. A so as soon as I walk in the door; there it is. My next guitar. I picked it up and (thankfully) it was perfect. No flaws, no damage, no dead frets, no blemishes, everything worked, and sounded amazing. I played with it so much that I broke the high E string and they had to take it in back to fix it. I left the store only buying some strings (I have a rule where if I try a piece of equipment I like, I have to wait at least two days to make sure that I still want it or if it would be a bad idea). So I went back yesterday to Guitar Center and left with a whole lot more weight in my hands and a whole lot less weight in my wallet...

Pictures:

Ooooh, its a Fender...

(Yes that is an old Kay SG Bass in the background)

Stratocaster...

The head stock...

Here she is;

Here's where she is as I type this...

Yes, those are the strings I got on Stratuday.

That's right, I picked up a really nice Black Standard Stratocaster (MiM) with a Rosewood Fretboard for just over $400, brand new.

It pretty much has the standard Stratocaster features:
Modern C shape neck, 9.5" Radius, 1.65" Nut width
21 frets
3 single-coil pickups
Synchronized Tremolo
Rosewood Fretboard
Master Volume Control, Neck Pickup Tone and Middle Pick Up Tone.
Polyester Finish
CBS-Era Logo and Small Version Headstock

The finish is solid and the neck plays just how I like it. I mostly play Blues, Garage/Classic Rock and Punk on the Bridge and Middle&Bridge Positions, and they both sound fantastic, also the Neck Position is hotter than I'm used to, which is a plus, but also takes some getting used to. It sounds just like a Stratocaster should, I've tried it with basically every setting and effect on my amp (don't have any pedals that work anymore), and it sounds great, even in high gain applications.

Some of the things I've noticed is that the fret wire was not flush with the edge of the neck, but not by any measurable distance and not far enough to start impairing my playing. From what I gathered from playing basically every Stratocaster in my Guitar Center is that the fret thing is pretty much par for the course with made in Mexico Guitars and after I got it properly set up (including a nut filing to fit .10's properly and a string change) it wasn't a problem anymore. Also, something about getting it set up made the Tremolo not instantly de-tune my Strat, maybe I just have a really good guitar tech near me.

Another thing I've noticed, is that where the Skunk Strip in the neck ends there is a little indent there. I'm not sure if it was there when I bought it or happened after so I can't really tell.

I tried this guitar against a Fender American Special and couldn't really feel a difference in how they played (only heard a difference, the Special seems to have differently voiced pickups; more bottom end and mids).

I love this guitar, and I've always wanted a Fender Stratocaster, namely a Black Fender Stratocaster SSS; Eric Clapton had one, Jimi Hendrix had one, David Gilmour had one, I had to have one and now, I do.

spacec0wboy 12-22-2010 07:05 PM

Matches your amp for those nice Fendery Cleans :P

Congrats, though I prefer sunbursts.

kangaxxter 12-22-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacec0wboy
Congrats, though I prefer sunbursts.

I didn't like any of the Sunbursts in my price range...

I am wet 12-22-2010 07:19 PM

nice guitar!

kangaxxter 01-07-2011 06:21 PM

The video didn't render right (it's really compressed so the sound really sucks), so I'm not gonna post it.

Editing a better review into the Original Post.

PRSfanatic 07-20-2011 10:54 AM

Congrats, happy NGD, great choice :) Most of the MIM Fenders I've tried (and the one that I own) with skunk stripes have a tiny indent where the skunk stripe ends, so don't worry :) Excellent guitar :D

Pocopot 07-20-2011 11:29 AM

A tiny indent

Ha! Ha!...who would notice this but someone with a new guitar.

I have 12 Fender Strats that I've accumulated over 40 years. I let nephews and friends borrow them all the time . I don't give a hoot about cosmetic scratches and dings.

Re Mexican Strats. That's the axe I always recommend to anyone wanting a good guitar. They play and sound great.

Now you need to play and play and play and forget about babying your guitar. It's a Fender...not a wimpy Gibson.

beckyjc 07-20-2011 12:07 PM

Nice guitar.

It needs a black pickguard, maybe black pearl, i hate the white on black look for strats. Makes it look cheap and generic.

MM14 07-20-2011 12:09 PM

Hngd

00_hns_00 07-20-2011 12:11 PM

cool looking strat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopot
A tiny indent

Ha! Ha!...who would notice this but someone with a new guitar.

I have 12 Fender Strats that I've accumulated over 40 years. I let nephews and friends borrow them all the time . I don't give a hoot about cosmetic scratches and dings.

Re Mexican Strats. That's the axe I always recommend to anyone wanting a good guitar. They play and sound great.

Now you need to play and play and play and forget about babying your guitar. It's a Fender...not a wimpy Gibson.

you sure don't sound like a 40+ y.o. man.

me thinks your mother didn't breastfeed you.

gregs1020 07-20-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopot

don't feed this troll.

HNGD! :cheers:

monwobobbo 07-20-2011 12:54 PM

you need a new amp

oh wait wrong section :p:

nice gotta love black strats. are you going to change the pups?

oh just noticed the sound clip, needs more flange :haha: . sounded good.

kangaxxter 07-20-2011 01:05 PM

You all know this thread is like 7 months old right?

So to set things straight:

A new amp is next, I was toying with the idea of just buying a new amp instead of a gutar when I got this, but decided against it. I like the amp I have (not saying it doesn't need a friend or something :rolleyes: )

I want to change the pick ups but I don't know to what yet. Thinking about going HSS (I've checked the routing, it only routed for HSS not HSH) but I'm not sure yet. At the very least I'm planing on changing the knobs and pickup covers for something a little less... stock.

And yes, I have been playing the hell out of it, and there are quite a few more nicks and dings then seven months ago.

EDIT: Yeah, that sound clip is so bad.

NihilistNixon 07-29-2011 08:23 PM

Black and white always look good. Very nice.