UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Songwriting & Lyrics (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   WotM - alaskan_ninja (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1393981)

AngryGoldfish 12-23-2010 08:43 PM

WotM - alaskan_ninja

Quote:

Favourite Artists: I don't know. I like American Football, I think. If anyone knows any good bands of a sort of 'my soul is being hugged by a big squishy jellyfish' nature, shoot me a PM.

Most Inspirational Writer: Lately I have been inspired a lot by the films of Hayao Miyazaki. A lot of my writing from the past month or so came from a huge Miyazaki binge I was on, and I borrowed a lot of themes and stuff from his films.

Favourite poet/poem (published writer):Regrettably, I haven't had much time to search out new poetry lately. But this is one of my favorites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrival at the Waldorf by Wallace Stevens
Home from Guatemala, back at the Waldorf.
This arrival in the wild country of the soul,
All approaches gone, being completely there,
Where the wild poem is a substitute
For the woman one loves or ought to love,
One wild rhapsody a fake for another.

You touch the hotel the way you touch moonlight
Or sunlight and you hum and the orchestra
Hums and you say "The world in a verse,

A generation sealed, men remoter than mountains,
Women invisible in music and motion and color,"
After that alien, point-blank, green and actual Guatemala.

If you could be any writer ever, who would you be: Ernest Hemingway, on account of he was the biggest badass ever invented. I bet he could even beat up Teddy Roosevelt and Ted Williams at the same time. Also his stories feel octopus.

If you could be any flavour, which would you be: General spicyness, I believe. It's been such a strong thing to people, the urge for it, the bite, the flavor. You know how back in pre-colonial days, all those dashing explorers would brave treacherous oceans and unknown dangers of the deep to cross the seven seas and make it to the Indies, where their voyage would be made worthwhile by purchasing that valuable, treasured 'spice'? Do you know what that 'spice' was? Black pepper. That stuff that you probably have in a little grinder in your ******* cupboard once made men risk their lives on long voyages just to bring it back and sell it to a populace craving less bland food, that taste, that little bite. I would be that bite, I think.

Why Do You Write: It is fun. I enjoy making up ideas and things, but it doesn't feel right when those ideas are all inside my head getting mashed around and sometimes forgotten. So I write to let out my ideas.

Favourite word(s): I think I remember using a really awesome word in one of my recent pieces, but I cannot remember what it is. I like a lot of words though. A lot of times I will make a reason for a word just so I can have that word. I like the word 'menagerie', I think. Also I like place names that sound 'exotic', like 'Gibraltar' or 'Kathmandu'. Also I tend to like metals and things, I guess sort of 'steampunk'. Not the word 'steampunk', but things that relate to 'steampunk'.

Favourite Writer(s) on UG: It's not so much singular writers as it is occasional pieces that will jump out and make me feel pineapple crumpets. But I do tend to enjoy the works of Saadia, Jimi, NGD#### (Nick?) and probably other people that I forget.

Most Helpful Critic: I don't know if I can remember a particularly critic who was more helpful than others. Maybe my writing just confuses people.

What Do You Do Especially, to Find Inspiration: Talk to people about random things and elaborate on random things. Also I watch films by either Hayao Miyazaki or Wes Anderson, and sometimes read. Also weed.

Your Most Recent Work and the Reason Behind It: My most recent work is 'The Lighthouse Keeper' which is about what it sounds like but actually not really (there is a surprise). I don't think it's really finished yet. I want to clean up the dialogue and see if I can make the mood I want consistent throughout the story. Did I mention that before? If I didn't, it's a story. It came from a texting conversation of randomness with Saadia which is basically what I mentioned in the previous question. We were discussing odd things and that turned into the story. Before that I wrote 'nikola tesla's dream journal' which is actually about what it sounds like.

Tips for Newer Writers: Acquire information. The more things you know, the more things you can write about. So watch TV that is informative. Read books, read magazines. Browse websites about science, or surf through Wikipedia looking for people who were awesome as shit. I was only able to write my Tesla piece because I knew something about the life of Nikola Tesla. I didn't know much, but it was enough to build an idea from. So just learn things, seek out new information. The more things you know, the likelier you are to find one that resonates with you.

Also, seriously, rhyming=overrated.

What’s your goal in writing: To be awesome.

Final Comments or Thoughts:
First of all, I would like to mention that Jimi totally deserved this award as much as I did. He was awesome this month. Also, I was a little bit high when I did this.

Picture:
:headbang:

vintage x metal 12-23-2010 11:56 PM

also, i was a little bit high when I read this... and

(i've typed so much crap here and erased it and debated as to whether i should metnion that or not and you know what i'm going to press the post button and commit to it before i can change my mind god damn it)

anyway you're great <3 congrats congrats congrats Jay. you and jimmy both were PHENOMENAL this month, really, beautiful stuff. you know i liiiike you and the things you write and your head and i think it's great that you can share it with all of us.
<3

ZanasCross 12-24-2010 11:05 AM

:golfclap:

AngryGoldfish 12-24-2010 12:58 PM

*sexy picture added* ;)

hippieboy444 12-25-2010 06:09 PM

congrats dude.

halo43 12-26-2010 09:09 AM

Congrats, Jay :cheers:

brokencoastline 12-26-2010 12:25 PM

Congratulations, I like the way you think.

NGD1313 12-27-2010 04:51 AM

congrats. this month has been one of my favorites from you.

AngryGoldfish 01-10-2011 08:10 PM

Thanks ever so much for taking part. You really deserved this.