UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   New Gear Day (Guaranteed Tasty!) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1414923)

Pat_s1t 02-22-2011 01:30 PM

New Gear Day (Guaranteed Tasty!)

This is sort of an NGD for all my gear, as I never made a thread for my Mesa/Soldano rig, nor did I make one for my Pod X3 or any of my pedals. So this is my virginity thread GG&A-wise. And believe me, it will be a great first time. Only thing you're wondering now must be;

"But Pat_s1t, what did you possibly buy that you felt was right to give your gear thread virginity to?"
Well my friends, I'm not going to tell you outright.

"Is it an amp head?"
Nope.

"A cabinet?"
Colder...

"Some pedals?"
Getting closer...

Try to guess. I'll give you a hint.
The whole purchase was just $1500

My guitars, the two ESP/LTDs and an Agile. But what's behind them?

Some dials and buttons! Curious yet?

A Carvin DCM150 Power amp! For only a $150 too, with a free 4-space rack. Nice! But wait, there's still more...

Hell yeah! It's a Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Standard, the GAS affliction that has plagued me for months, for $1350 used. And best part is, all this stuff was from a dude just 5 minutes away! Anyone on SS.org would know him as Beardyman.

(Pics and short review farther down)

Don't Panic Ok? 02-22-2011 01:34 PM

HNGD! Looks pretty!

Pat_s1t 02-22-2011 01:37 PM

Dual photo of the two.

My new rack, with my Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier 50w sitting on top.

My relatively humble pedalboard

The ever so popular angle-up shot

And finally a big group photo...

Now for the review.

I've been eyeing an Axe-Fx to replace my Pod X3 for a while now, and just use it in the effects loop of the Mesa and for DSP recording due to it's versatility. However, when the guy said he'd throw in a Carvin 150w poweramp and 4 space rack for only $150, how could I resist? The Carvin is Solid-State and relatively cheap for a power amp, but it is pretty transparent and as a decent range as far as I can tell, no complaints here. I'll probably still upgrade in the future though. So now I've got an entire Axe-Fx rig, and boy is it ever versatile.

I've already made a few chorus clean patches, along with a couple delay post-rock types, and about 5 or 6 metal patches using a variety of amp sims. And believe me when I tell you guys, there is pretty much nothing that makes the sound of the Axe-Fx different from a tube amp. It's unbelievable. The high gain sims are noiseless but still very defined, they're tight and responsive, and the leads absolutely scream with a little bit of delay and reverb. My playing has never sounded better! The Axe can be a bit intimidating at first with all it's buttons, lights and tonal options. But it's really no more complicated than my Pod, with far more and better amps, cabs, pedals and rack gear than Line 6 ever put out. Now that I have this rig, I'm considering selling my old Mesa and pedals completely! Literally the best gear purchase I ever made, and all at the price of a new Axe. I'd highly recommend it to everyone, and I should post clips later today.

Cheers dudes! :cheers:

311ZOSOVHJH 02-22-2011 02:14 PM

A W E S O M E !

Glad you like it.

HNGD :cheers:

you popped a big cherry there didn't ya? :haha

WtrPlyr 02-22-2011 02:18 PM

That's some awesome shit.

HNAD :)

Ippon 02-22-2011 02:27 PM

Congrats! As long as you're pumped, that's all that matters. :)

:cheers:

Adam124 02-22-2011 02:30 PM

HNGD man!

The Axe FX looks awesome. It's definitely something I could see myself buying in a few years.

Clips please?:)

polishedbullet 02-22-2011 02:46 PM

HNGD!

Buy yourself a Furman conditioner next.. I would hate to see your rig get fried from a venue with bad wiring.

BurstBucker Pro 02-22-2011 02:59 PM

Nice rig man...

+1 on the Power Conditioner...

For a rack unit, I like my Furman AR-1215.

gregs1020 02-22-2011 03:02 PM

great stuff. :cheers:

congrats!

JAHellraiser 02-22-2011 03:34 PM

hngd! LOL @ "DAS METAL"

themelodicdeathshow 02-22-2011 03:38 PM

Nice stuff man!!
I want your agile lol

Tunder250 02-22-2011 04:10 PM

I am sooo jeallous about your guitars :D

Tom 1.0 02-22-2011 04:17 PM

Clipz?

coolstoryangus 02-22-2011 04:19 PM

mmmm tasty tasty snax

Pat_s1t 02-22-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
Clipz?
I'm trying to work something out. My camera mic might sound like ass, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Tom 1.0 02-22-2011 04:32 PM

good man :cheers:

Pat_s1t 02-22-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
good man :cheers:
The camera mic sounds super fizzy, there's a really high pitched noise on it too. Anyone have any suggestions for me to get some decent clips up? I don't have a MIDI adapter or anything yet so :shrug:

Tunder250 02-22-2011 04:48 PM

uhm...

maybe the AXE has some line out, just some cables and plug it in to the pc?
or just go to the store, "buy" a mic and stand and bring it back when you have proper clips :$ xD

Pat_s1t 02-22-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunder250
uhm...

maybe the AXE has some line out, just some cables and plug it in to the pc?
or just go to the store, "buy" a mic and stand and bring it back when you have proper clips :$ xD
I don't have a store around, nor any money to spare if I did. This buy completely killed my bank :haha:

Any recommendations on a decent MIDI adapter/interface I could buy?