UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Locrian Dominant? Lydian dominant? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1433070)

LolCatGuitar 04-17-2011 03:01 AM

Locrian Dominant? Lydian dominant?

So, I was just playing around, and I knew of the Phrygian dominant mode, then I watched a satch mode video, and he said aeolian dominant and lydian dominant, now, dominant modes are usually minor modes with a Maj3rd. So Lydian really doesn't make sense, but you could make a Locrian Dominant mode? I know all of my modes, but just wondering if you could essentially have a lydian dominant,

NewShred 04-17-2011 03:11 AM

To my knowledge, dominant modes are usually modes with a maj3rd AND a min7th, creating that tritone that a dominant 7th would have, which resolves to the tonic. I know for sure that a lydian dominant scale is simply a lydian scale with a b7; 1 2 3 #4 5 6 b7, I'm not sure what an aeolian or locrian dominant would refer to though.

EDIT: my best guess for those two scales would be..
aeolian dominant: 1 2 3 4 5 b6 b7, (mixolydian b6)
locrian dominant: 1 b2 3 4 b5 b6 b7 (phrygian b5)

But again I really have no clue; if you have a sound sample of these scales try these formulas out and tell me if I was close. Cheers!

omerfayyaz2001 03-12-2012 11:17 AM

aeolian dominant is a substitute name for the 5th mode of the melodic minor scale, lydian dominant is the 3rd mode for the melodic minor. its the same thing i guess.

Marshmelllow 03-12-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerfayyaz2001
aeolian dominant is a substitute name for the 5th mode of the melodic minor scale, lydian dominant is the 3rd mode for the melodic minor. its the same thing i guess.

its the 4th mode of the melodic minor scale. lydian augmented is the third.

steven seagull 03-12-2012 11:58 AM

Moved to MT

MikeDodge 03-12-2012 12:12 PM

Lydian Dominant is the 4th mode of the Melodic Minor scale and Mixolydian b6 is the 5th mode of the Melodic Minor scale.

mdc 03-12-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolCatGuitar
So, I was just playing around, and I knew of the Phrygian dominant mode, then I watched a satch mode video, and he said aeolian dominant and lydian dominant, now, dominant modes are usually minor modes with a Maj3rd. , but you could make a Locrian Dominant mode? I know all of my modes, but just wondering if you could essentially have a lydian dominant,

The closest you'll come to what you're labelling Locrian Dominant, is the Super Locrian Scale.
Quote:
So Lydian really doesn't make sense
"Dominant" is a chord, arpeggio or scale that has both a major 3rd and b7. So Lydian Dominant makes perfect sense, the only note different is the b7.

TMVATDI 03-12-2012 06:25 PM

"Dominant" means a major 3rd and a minor 7th. The main characteristic to the lydian mode is the #4. So lydian dominant would be 1-2-3-#4-5-6-b7. Its actually not all that uncommon of a scale in jazz. As for locrian and all that nonsense...Doesn't really matter when it comes to songwriting and analysis. Only reason you could want to know all these exotic scales would be if you want to be a master improv-soloist and play over some wacked out chords.

AeolianWolf 03-12-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMVATDI
Only reason you could want to know all these exotic scales would be if you want to be a master improv-soloist and play over some wacked out chords.

which can just as easily be done with a thorough grounding in functional harmony...perhaps even better so.

TMVATDI 03-13-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
which can just as easily be done with a thorough grounding in functional harmony...perhaps even better so.

At high tempo improvisation without much prior knowledge of what you're playing I find it easier to use a cst type of thing (I don't actually know cst, I just use a sort of dumbed down version you could say I made up).

You may be right though, if I could think about complex harmony quickly and efficiently my solos would probably improve a lot.

chronowarp 03-13-2012 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMVATDI
At high tempo improvisation without much prior knowledge of what you're playing I find it easier to use a cst type of thing (I don't actually know cst, I just use a sort of dumbed down version you could say I made up).

You may be right though, if I could think about complex harmony quickly and efficiently my solos would probably improve a lot.

Unless you're playing Jazz....I don't know why you'd have to think that hard about complex harmony while improvising.

TMVATDI 03-13-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
Unless you're playing Jazz....I don't know why you'd have to think that hard about complex harmony while improvising.

It might help you to understand how your solo connects to everything else in the song, whereas playing a bunch of scales just sounds like...playing a bunch of scales. For now my jazz improv sounds at least halfway decent with scales though.

NoisiNinja 10-27-2012 09:03 PM

Isn't Mixolydian b6 just Melodic Major?

:-D 10-27-2012 09:29 PM

**** you

macashmack 10-28-2012 12:19 AM

Just hit them there chord tones. The ladies love them chord tones.

Hail 10-28-2012 12:43 AM

i know it's a necrobump but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
yeah but satch is so 2004

and i don't like people to take him seriously at all beyond his music and playing cause when he gets into pitch axis it gets really really obvious that he only has a high school theory education

AeolianWolf 10-28-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoisiNinja
Isn't Mixolydian b6 just Melodic Major?

perhaps. but i have a more important counter-question - how are you going to use mixolydian b6 (or melodic major or debbie, whatever you want to call it, they're all BS) to compose something that isn't in a major key (or minor key, if you want to push the envelope)?

make sure you're looking at the big picture if you're going to respond.

British_Steal 10-28-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolCatGuitar
So, I was just playing around, and I knew of the Phrygian dominant mode, then I watched a satch mode video, and he said aeolian dominant and lydian dominant, now, dominant modes are usually minor modes with a Maj3rd. So Lydian really doesn't make sense, but you could make a Locrian Dominant mode? I know all of my modes, but just wondering if you could essentially have a lydian dominant,

Aeolian Dominant aka. Melodic Dominant Scale --> Aeolian with a Raised 3rd

A B C# D E F G

Lydian Dominant aka Lydian b7 ---> Lydian with a b7

Locrian Dominant ---not totally sure my guess is the the altered scale aka Locrian with a b4

B C D Eb F G A B

not that in this scale the 3rd of a dominant chord would be Eb/D# (enharmonic) which is actually the 4th scale degree.

MaggaraMarine 10-28-2012 08:45 AM

Useless necrobump... But all those names are useless. Nobody uses them and knowing them is useless (you can only show your "knowledge" in theory by knowing 100 scale names). They are just major and minor scales with accidentals. All these random blablabla scales... I mean, where do you even use them? And isn't it just easier to think it as a major or minor with accidentals? You won't base your whole solo around a random scale.