UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Half step down Metallica songs? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474948)

JaredHind 08-28-2011 11:50 AM

Half step down Metallica songs?
 
Can anyone give me a list of Metallica songs that are tuned down a half step? would be greatly appreciative :)
I fancy learning some Metallica. but i don't fancy tuning my Ironbird back to standard encase i snap a string :)
cheers guys.

Kilty Boxers 08-28-2011 11:59 AM

No Leaf Clover. Only one I can think of.

Calvero 08-28-2011 11:59 AM

I believe they play most if not all their songs live a half-step down nowadays. So you can just pick a live recording.

I wouldn't worry about breaking a string by just going from standard to half-step down and back. I've done it a lot for years and I don't remember any of my strings ever breaking that way.

Bsoffski 08-28-2011 12:00 PM

Sad but true would be another one...

slashfan226 08-28-2011 12:00 PM

I think the load and reload albums are all half a step down, as well as about half of garage inc album. Apart from that they're mostly standard

BornToLooze 08-28-2011 12:00 PM

They play most of them a half step down nowadays except for jump in the fire, seek and destroy and sad but true

shredibanez24 08-28-2011 12:02 PM

Everything off of Load and ReLoad, and everything they do live now is in Eb.

leob18c 08-28-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsoffski
Sad but true would be another one...


sad but true is a full step down

Zaphod_Beeblebr 08-28-2011 12:08 PM

All the recent live versions of songs, including the S&M album, are half a step lower than originally recorded so all the earlier stuff like MoP is in Eb and things that were a full step down to begin with like The Thing That Should Not Be are in C#.

JaredHind 08-28-2011 12:15 PM

Thanks guys :)

hminh87 08-28-2011 12:20 PM

You can always keep your favorite tuning and adjust the pitch of the backing track to the same tuning. Audacity works wonder.

Pac_man0123 08-28-2011 12:38 PM

Why are they doing that? Is it just James' voice straining to hit those same notes?

Ghold125 08-28-2011 01:02 PM

The God That Failed, don't remember if it's a half step or full step down.

tonello 08-28-2011 01:23 PM

After James ****ed up his voice, they played everything in Eb. Sad but True is drop D if I'm not mistaken, though. I think the Eb standard sounds pretty badass. I was working on technique and found a few books on metal guitar basics, and one had Kirk Hammet making up riffs in Eb, and they sounded really good with a medium distortion added.

MetalMullet 08-28-2011 01:57 PM

I just don't understand the "James f*cked up his voice" explanation regarding the down tuning. His voice actually used to be a lot deeper and darker so shouldn't they tune up instead? :D Or they tune down to compensate for the lack of power in James' voice?

Pac_man0123 08-28-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMullet
I just don't understand the "James f*cked up his voice" explanation regarding the down tuning. His voice actually used to be a lot deeper and darker so shouldn't they tune up instead? :D Or they tune down to compensate for the lack of power in James' voice?

Lowering the key a half step makes it easier to hit some of those notes that are pretty hard to hit in the first place. That's why a lot of bands in the 80s played in Eb standard and some bands still do to this day (Protest the Hero comes to mind).

Lovecannon 08-28-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_man0123
Lowering the key a half step makes it easier to hit some of those notes that are pretty hard to hit in the first place. That's why a lot of bands in the 80s played in Eb standard and some bands still do to this day (Protest the Hero comes to mind).


Yeah, but Rody from Protest can hit some high notes. Dude has quite the range.

Hail 08-28-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecannon
Yeah, but Rody from Protest can hit some high notes. Dude has quite the range.


Touring for 2+ years takes its toll on you. That half a step makes quite a difference when it comes to pushing your voice too hard and too frequently.

Zaphod_Beeblebr 08-28-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonello
After James ****ed up his voice, they played everything in Eb. Sad but True is drop D if I'm not mistaken, though. I think the Eb standard sounds pretty badass. I was working on technique and found a few books on metal guitar basics, and one had Kirk Hammet making up riffs in Eb, and they sounded really good with a medium distortion added.


Sad But True is D standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMullet
I just don't understand the "James f*cked up his voice" explanation regarding the down tuning. His voice actually used to be a lot deeper and darker so shouldn't they tune up instead? Or they tune down to compensate for the lack of power in James' voice?


His voice is deeper now than it was back in the day by quite a way, he can't reach the higher notes any more and had to have vocal lessons to be able to do almost anything again.

EspTro 08-28-2011 03:20 PM

they only play halfstep down live i beleive


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.