UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   "We are here to bring thrash back" (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486326)

Randomguy09 10-08-2011 11:56 AM

"We are here to bring thrash back"
 
"We are here to bring thrash back" is not a excuse to make generic thrash metal! I feel all NWOTM bands are hiding behind this line and use it as an excuse to just use power chords? All this New Wave Of Thrash Metal bands do is fast power chords and shred-like solos.

After listening through bands like Warbringer, Evile, Lazarus A.D, Legion and other NWOTM bands (New Wave Of Thrash Metal) I am bored to death. No one can invent an original sound in Thrash Metal. After 20 min I thought I were listening to the same song by the same band, but no! It was another song by another BAND than what I first put on. Thrash Metal is now the most generic form of metal along with Death Metal on a close second IMO. If anyone know a original sounding Thrash Metal band, let me know!

I really want to play Thrash Metal but I don't know much theory ... YET. I notice all thrash bands ever do is power chords (except for the solos)! Maybe anyone know anything that I can use to refresh the thrash metal genre!

How much theory should I learn? I know limiting myself is not good, but I want to start a band ASAP you see :P

Thanks for answering! :D

Woffelz 10-08-2011 12:00 PM

Learn at least some basic theory and:

- Power chords.
- Palm muting.
- Alternate picking.
- Other basic techniques, such as hammer ons/pull offs.

This will get you started.

kerokero 10-08-2011 12:08 PM

Oh, the irony in this post....

Palm mute, single note passages, theory, string skipping, sweeping to keep it interesting, power chords, power chords, and more power chords. Welcome to thrash metal. Take it or leave it.

Zeletros 10-08-2011 12:11 PM

So... you DO NOT like thrash metal, but you want to play thrash metal?

Sharktoothinlay 10-08-2011 12:24 PM

Thrash Metal is sort of suppoused to be about agression, the intricacy of it comes second really. I mean it doesnt mean you can't be creative and different, but tbh its a bit hard really to do anything other than some sort of power chord rythmn and at the same time keep the Thrash metal feel to it.

Vlasco 10-08-2011 12:33 PM



This band is about as original as new thrash metal gets but it still has everything you don't like.

jetwash69 10-08-2011 12:35 PM

What's wrong with power chords? They're pure, honest, and lack pretension.

z4twenny 10-08-2011 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=jetwash69]What's wrong with power chords? They're pure, honest, and lack pretension.[/QUOT!E]
This isnt accurate at all. None of these qualities can objectively be used to describe music itself, just opinions

HotspurJr 10-08-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
What's wrong with power chords? They're pure, honest, and lack pretension.


Yeah, unlike those pretentious, lying major and minor chords!

Honestly, when talking about music (as opposed to persona), does "pretentious" ever mean anything other than "too complicated for me to play/understand?"

That damn E7 chord - always drinking its tea with it's pinkie up in the air, talking in that fake posh accent! Thinking it's better than all those other chords ...

And Cmajor is just a punk.

Randomguy09 10-08-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeletros
So... you DO NOT like thrash metal, but you want to play thrash metal?


I like thrash metal, but I just came to realize that it's a bit generic nowadays O.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerokero
Oh, the irony in this post....

Palm mute, single note passages, theory, string skipping, sweeping to keep it interesting, power chords, power chords, and more power chords. Welcome to thrash metal. Take it or leave it.


I'm not being ironic. I meant what I said. And I like thrash metal! But seriously what you just listed is about everything bands use in thrash metal. I want us to come up with new ideas for thrash metal to use here :) I sorta am like those bands myself. It's hard to think of anything new to put in there that still have the thrash metal feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktoothinlay
Thrash Metal is sort of suppoused to be about agression, the intricacy of it comes second really. I mean it doesnt mean you can't be creative and different, but tbh its a bit hard really to do anything other than some sort of power chord rythmn and at the same time keep the Thrash metal feel to it.


This. I realize it's hard being original while keeping the thrash metal feel. But that makes it generic too. So I couldn't have listened only thrash metal, cuz I would feel bored then. I'll keep it in moderation :P

But guys... Can't we all just work together and think of something cool to put in thrash metal! :P The theory I know is the names of the frets on the neck, power chords, bar chords, pentatonic scale, blues scale, chords (A,G,D and so on). I feel I don't have enough theory to start thrashing yet O.o

DiminishedFifth 10-08-2011 02:53 PM

You know the problem with what you're asking?

Thrash is already set in stone. If you add anything to it the genre changes. Want an orchestra to play with you? You now have Orchestral Metal. What about high-flying vocals? Welcome to power metal.

You're going to have to extremely exacting and deliberate with what you add. I can't even think of an innovative Thrash band nowadays or a way to innovate it.

Cavalcade 10-08-2011 02:57 PM

Explain how those bands you listed aren't "true" thrash, and what makes "generic" thrash "generic". I'm lost.

Randomguy09 10-08-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
Explain how those bands you listed aren't "true" thrash, and what makes "generic" thrash "generic". I'm lost.


Okay. I never said they aren't true thrash, because they are. What makes them generic is all the power chords IMO I have heard tons of other thrash songs within one thrash song :P

But don't get me wrong I like thrash metal, but is it only me that can hear a lot of similliarities between all thrash bands? O.o

Randomguy09 10-08-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiminishedFifth
You know the problem with what you're asking?

Thrash is already set in stone. If you add anything to it the genre changes. Want an orchestra to play with you? You now have Orchestral Metal. What about high-flying vocals? Welcome to power metal.

You're going to have to extremely exacting and deliberate with what you add. I can't even think of an innovative Thrash band nowadays or a way to innovate it.


This! And damn I didn't think of that! Now as I read what you said I agree with you! TIt's clear to me now! If I bring changes into the genre I would just end up playing another already invented genre :/ Anyway thanks for answering man! :D

Cavalcade 10-08-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy09
But don't get me wrong I like thrash metal, but is it only me that can hear a lot of similliarities between all thrash bands? O.o

Of course not, since there have to be some similarities if they're all the same genre. In fact, that's my point; what makes them any different?
Power chords are an important part of most hard rock and metal. Any rock or metal band is almost guaranteed to have used them. But from how you go on about them, it sounds like the bands you're talking about don't use anything else. Go back to all the thrash classics, even lesser-known ones like Bonded By Blood or Eternal Nightmare, and you'll find them in the riffs.
Now, if the riffs are nothing but powerchords, you're not dealing with thrash at all, since that's not one of the main characteristics (you're probably thinking of crust punk), but the bands you listed don't spam powerchords like that. So what's wrong with them?

hr113 10-08-2011 03:22 PM

"bringing thrash back"....

did i just travel back in time to '08 or something?

As dim.5th said, tnrash is pretty much set in stone genre.
I dont listen to much thrash nowadays , more of a death metal person, but one of my favorite bands is on a thrashier sde

Nevermore, look them up. While power chords and stuff like that is still there, Loomis is total boss when it comes to badass guitar playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK2i...be_gdata_player

Randomguy09 10-08-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
Of course not, since there have to be some similarities if they're all the same genre. In fact, that's my point; what makes them any different?
Power chords are an important part of most hard rock and metal. Any rock or metal band is almost guaranteed to have used them. But from how you go on about them, it sounds like the bands you're talking about don't use anything else. Go back to all the thrash classics, even lesser-known ones like Bonded By Blood or Eternal Nightmare, and you'll find them in the riffs.
Now, if the riffs are nothing but powerchords, you're not dealing with thrash at all, since that's not one of the main characteristics (you're probably thinking of crust punk), but the bands you listed don't spam powerchords like that. So what's wrong with them?


If the bands I listed don't spam power chords what are they doing then? My ears are catching only power chords and single string riffs in all thrash metal songs (for rythm). Now prove me wrong then! :P

Btw I'm listening to Bonded by blood now :p

engineno9 10-08-2011 03:33 PM

Why not trying to add other harmonies to your rhythms? Thirds, fourths, etc? Megadeth uses these sort of riffs. Kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet

Randomguy09 10-08-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineno9
Why not trying to add other harmonies to your rhythms? Thirds, fourths, etc? Megadeth uses these sort of riffs. Kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet


Ah yes, harmonies! Totally forgot that... will use it, thanks! :)

Cavalcade 10-08-2011 03:46 PM

The thrash sound comes from the rhythms, not the chords used.
If you're going to say that a song like this is just "spammed powerchords", you could also argue that, using your example, Exodus just "spams notes". I hear a lot more than just powerchords in both bands- although I hear plenty of powerchords in this.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:42 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.