UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The New ONLY Religion & Philosophy thread. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1507910)

SlackerBabbath 12-29-2011 02:54 PM

The 'New' ONLY Religion & Philosophy thread.

OK, so I was asked to start a new R & P thread, (the old one is three years old) so here goes. (actualy it's just an edited version of the first post from the last R&P thread made by marchoso ;) )

Rules.
This thread is for discussing all matters relating to religion (and thusly all areas specifically theological and generally religious) and all things philosophical (excluding political philosophy, obviously.)

Though there will be overlap, generally it should be obvious when a piece of philosophical discussion should be in the politics thread.

Don't be disrespectful. Respectful debate is one thing and it's it's perfectly acceptable but being an arsehole is something else entirely... (and it's not acceptable)

Coming in and simply posting, 'God doesn't exist' (or vice versa) is spam and will be treated as such.
Give your posts substance, or don't bother posting. If you believe God exists, (or doesn't exist) say why you believe that.

Remember the regulars in this thread come from all walks of life, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, Atheist, Agnostic, ect. That means that no matter what your views are, there's going to be someone who disagrees.

Be good, try to learn from each other, enjoy.

Slacker.

Dreadnought 12-29-2011 02:56 PM

Best book in the Bible?

My vote goes to the Book of Job

Zeletros 12-29-2011 02:56 PM

I'm an atheist, because,

I don't look down people for having belief other than mine, though sometimes I try to change their minds.

Carnivean 12-29-2011 03:01 PM

Jesus: black, white, arab?

GO!

Vitor_vdp 12-29-2011 03:02 PM

I am an agnostic because as far as we know it is impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God.

BDR_23 12-29-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean

GO!

Does it matter?

SlackerBabbath 12-29-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
Best book in the Bible?

That's a damn good choice, obviously written before Satan was considered as 'evil' which makes it interesting, but I prefer the Book of Genesis myself. I find it absolutely fascinating. If you learn about other culture's creation myths, especially the early Mesopotamian creation myths, it makes reading Genesis a whole lot more interesting.

Basti95 12-29-2011 03:05 PM

OPINIONS

SlackerBabbath 12-29-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean

GO!

Assuming that Jesus was a Galilean Semite, his skin would have most likely have been olive-coloured.

Craigo 12-29-2011 03:07 PM

Gah Slacker :p:

Awesome stuff :cheers:

Ghefly 12-29-2011 03:07 PM

I love Genesis and in particular the life of Abraham. Got his wife preggers when he was 100... what a dog!

bradulator 12-29-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
Best book in the Bible?

Interesting. I always recommend people to read the Sermon on the Mount.

WhiskeyFace 12-29-2011 03:08 PM

lol Slacker, Craigo wasn't ready.

SlackerBabbath 12-29-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
lol Slacker, Craigo wasn't ready.

I know... ain't I a stinker? :D

Vitor_vdp 12-29-2011 03:12 PM

Because of this thread I have a sudden urge to read the Bible. How do I go about this? Just read it start to finish? Is there something I should know about beforehand?

bradulator 12-29-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar
My friend theorized that as long as we're owning everything, and we are the master species on this planet, you own everyone else just as much you own yourself. That means you own only a 7 billionth of yourself. We're in this thing together, and the more people there are, the less you own yourself or your fate.

From the last thread, I just wanted to give my thumbs up.

blake1221 12-29-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator
Interesting. I always recommend people to read the Sermon on the Mount.

Full book haha.

I think in terms of action and shtuff, Revelations was always my favorite. Fantastic imagery and poetic metaphors on a huge scale.

Romans was always a solid one, because of the uplifting message behind it. More so if you're a Christian, but even as an atheist viewed story, it's a message stating that you've got someone that will always be there for you, so you should never really let fear into your heart.

It's kind of a nice thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor_vdp
Because of this thread I have a sudden urge to read the Bible. How do I go about this? Just read it start to finish? Is there something I should know about beforehand?

Entire bible? That's a hefty feat.

There are some that do start to finish, but here's a Christian based website that explains different ways to read through it.

http://www.gospel.com/blog/index.ph...e-entire-bible/

Carnivean 12-29-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Get it on audio book like me. Narrated by Mel Gibson.

SlackerBabbath 12-29-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Yep, from start to finish is the best way to do it really, that way you get everything in correct context.

I'd advise that you read a literal translation though, ('Young's Literal' is my favourite and it's available online) because certain other translations are not always accurate.

JackWhiteIsButts 12-29-2011 03:19 PM

Now I can pretend like I'm going to start being involved in this thread again! :cool: