UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Rock (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   The Most Underrated Guitarist In Classic Rock? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519597)

Ridder Lugtepik 02-14-2012 06:33 PM

The Most Underrated Guitarist In Classic Rock?

So the title pretty much says it all, who do you think is the most underrated guitarist in classic rock?

I for one think that the most underrated guitarist in classic rock is John Cann or "Du Cann" if you like...

His work with both Andromeda and Atomic Rooster is just as good as Page's work with Zeppelin, Blackmore's work with Purple and Iommi's work with Sabbath etc etc.
First of all the Andromeda record contains great pieces of proto-prog/psych songs which today remain uncompareable to any other songs in this genre. And has work with Atomic Rooster is just as good (if not better). He could play with the same virtuosity as Hendrix or Robert Fripp and still emerge into heavy pieces with a rocking attitude like Iommi and Page.

What do you think?

Dhclark92 02-14-2012 06:37 PM

Slash. Lol jk. Hes prob not even classic rock in this thread

Spud Spudly 02-14-2012 06:38 PM

Alvin Lee comes to mind.

FrauVfromPoB 02-14-2012 06:44 PM

Tom Scholz from Boston. He had great melodic sensibility, but more importantly, he had fantastic tone, and made a lot of advances in recording techniques. He pioneered modern POD and amp-sim technology.

SWLABR 02-14-2012 06:53 PM

Jim McCarty of Cactus. Dude could tear it UP.

mcashx87x 02-24-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrauVfromPoB
Tom Scholz from Boston. He had great melodic sensibility, but more importantly, he had fantastic tone, and made a lot of advances in recording techniques. He pioneered modern POD and amp-sim technology.

+1

BrianApocalypse 02-26-2012 07:16 PM

I would argue the corner for Jan Ackerman of Focus. :)

marystolz 03-08-2012 12:02 AM

Eric Clapton

Jeremy105 03-08-2012 02:35 AM

Keep the change, pimps don't jangle

monwobobbo 03-08-2012 12:18 PM

a few that come to mind.

Frank Marino - from Mahogany Rush. hendrix influenced but had his own sound for sure. this guy could really burn and was doing some of the fast stuff that EVH seems to get credit for. check out MR Live for some awesome playing.

Pat Travers- did way more than the cover of Boom Boom (out go the lights) that can sometimes be heard on classic rock radio. his live album is also recomended.

Uli Roth- awesome guitar player that was in the Scorpions in the 70s. this was when they were truly original and kicked much ass. In Trance, Virgin Killer and Taken By Force as well as the live Tokyo Tapes are all essential listening.

bulby 03-08-2012 04:59 PM

I think Mark Farner (Grand Funk Railroad) is pretty underrated. He isn't the flashiest guy out there but has very cool chops and I love his tone, especially in the first 2 GFR albums.

seljer 03-09-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrauVfromPoB

Boston's first album with more or less recorded entirely in his basement and the thing sounds downright amazing even today

GaryBillington 03-09-2012 05:38 AM

Billy Duffy.

It is not possible to rate him high enough.

/Thread.

rocket monkey 03-09-2012 10:37 PM

I always felt like Malcolm Young was very underrated because of being in a band with Angus.

romencer17 03-11-2012 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket monkey
I always felt like Malcolm Young was very underrated because of being in a band with Angus.

you don't think it could possibly be because he's not a very good guitar player?

GaryBillington 03-11-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romencer17
you don't think it could possibly be because he's not a very good guitar player?

No - I agree with the other guy, Malcolm is probably a bigger part of AC/DC's overall sound than Angus is. Without Malcolm, Angus is nothing.

romencer17 03-11-2012 05:32 PM

sure I agree with that too, but does that really make him "underrated"? maybe as far as the Young brothers go, but for guitarists in general i think there's good reason no one cares about Malcolm

GaryBillington 03-11-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:
sure I agree with that too, but does that really make him "underrated"? maybe as far as the Young brothers go, but for guitarists in general i think there's good reason no one cares about Malcolm

1,000,000s of people would seriously disagree with you about nobody caring about Malcolm. It takes an excellent player to keep a solid rhythm going for over 40 years. You're entitled to an opinion and can choose not to enjoy his work, but to try and claim he's not a good guitarist only makes me question your credibility.

romencer17 03-11-2012 06:07 PM

AC/DC were the first band I became obsessed with back when I was 10 years old, don't assume I don't like them. Regardless of how I feel about their music, Malcolm is a very basic guitar player. It doesn't take an 'excellent player' to play what he plays, it's just different variations of the same chord progressions, a-c-d-e, repeat, repeat, etc. etc. I think there's a reason most people start with AC/DC with they're learning to play guitar and there's also a reason I got tired of playing AC/DC songs by the time i was 12.

tl;dr I'm not saying Malcolm is a bad guitarist by any means but he is certainly nothing special or out of the ordinary, hence I don't see why he is underrated. I think he gets all the praise which he deserves, he just doesn't have much to offer to begin with

GaryBillington 03-11-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:
AC/DC were the first band I became obsessed with back when I was 10 years old, don't assume I don't like them. Regardless of how I feel about their music, Malcolm is a very basic guitar player. It doesn't take an 'excellent player' to play what he plays, it's just different variations of the same chord progressions, a-c-d-e, repeat, repeat, etc. etc. I think there's a reason most people start with AC/DC with they're learning to play guitar and there's also a reason I got tired of playing AC/DC songs by the time i was 12.

tl;dr I'm not saying Malcolm is a bad guitarist by any means but he is certainly nothing special or out of the ordinary, hence I don't see why he is underrated. I think he gets all the praise which he deserves, he just doesn't have much to offer to begin with

Not a bad reply, I've corrected it for you.

You're right, he does get a certain amount of praise which is well deserved. He may not be rated as one of the worlds greatest guitarists, but that isn't his role in the band. His role, as is the case for ALL rhythm guitarists, is to provide a solid backing to the lead guitarist. He does that excellently - and on that basis you could probably make a justifiable case for him to be rated as one of the best rhythm guitarists in the world.

You don't have to be out of the ordinary to be underrated, you've just proved that by underrating him in this thread ;)