UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tabs & Chords (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Melodic Black? Suggestions and critics :) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1529647)

chronos1989 03-29-2012 04:49 PM

Melodic Black? Suggestions and critics :)

So I was searching in my tabs folder and found a really interesting one, though I must say It happened years ago it's somehow "Finished" but Unpolished sort of speak...

The song is long and have to smooth some changes there, you're obviously not going to miss those.

Be my guest be my reviewer ;)

GP5 File click here to download

kcorkcar 03-31-2012 10:37 PM

I'm writing as I listen to the song

Very doomish beginning in which I am liking so far
43-48 I'm really feeling that
49-52 EPIC, it gives off that eerie haunted feeling
87 - 99 took me on a journey through the stars
103 - 110 reminds me of COF for some reason. Not a bad thing but meh, kinda cliche
Very nice outro and fading out even though it came to an abrupt stop

Overall, Pretty awesome stuff you got here. :D
check out mine?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...28#post29411428

chronos1989 04-02-2012 12:46 PM

Thanks Kcorkcar :D I never thought of that part (103 - 110) Like COF but now that you've said it... Im going to probably change it a little hehe.

Im realy glad you like it :)

mka12992 04-12-2012 06:21 PM

Hey, thank you for the crit on my tune. I decided to take a go at critiquing this one of yours.

-31-43 is my favorite part, I think.
-Atmosphere at 77 is nice.
-Personally, I would have extended bar 125, let the last chord ring longer before going into the bit at 126. Though, the bit at 86 is ****ing cool, I liked it a lot.
-Fade out ending was a nice touch.

Overall, I really enjoyed this piece. I thought the time signature changes were effortless, and made sense. Although this isn't my genre of music, I really did enjoy it. Good job. :)

Christopher S 05-23-2012 08:42 PM

Returning crit :)

(Btw, I just finished my song, it's in the OP if you wanna check it out).

- Nice intro, and unexpected riffing proceeding it. Caught me off guard.
- The section starting at 49 and going on from there to 61 is bloody catchy! Great work!
- Didn't think the tremelopicking would work at such "slow" tempo. It did.
- Ooooh, 77. Nice atmosphere. Great. The layers as well, nice touches.
- 99 is grooing nicely, with a good melody.
- 126 -> has got some sort of a poppy feel to it, didn't expect that. Cool!
- "mmm" lots of interesting things going on, and you pulled off the fast tremolopicking nicely there.

Overall, it's as you say - some transistions might need some work, and you'd probably wanna go over it seeing as its an old piece to polish it off. Also, it's not really my kind of music. With that said, I enjoyed listening to it, seeing as how it's got lots of different influences rarely seen in this genre.

Good job. :)

MetalCommand 05-24-2012 01:20 PM

Hey, thanks for the crit on mine. I had heard some Mago de Oz before, but not Finisterra. I gave it a listen and it was great, and definitely worth the fifteen minutes, so thanks!

Anyway, on to yours.

Lead guitar in the intro is nice, then the next rhythm has quite a dark/foreboding feel to it which is cool. The organ part is very nice and adds some different texture to the song, along with the choirs. Some of the guitar parts will lend them themselves nicely to some black metal screams over them as well. The changes between sections are pretty good I think, except possibly around the bar 126 area. Nice lead part at the end as well although I think something other than a fade out would be better at the end. Overall, I think it's really excellent and would be interested to hear it recorded.

chronos1989 06-12-2012 06:16 PM

@Cristopher S

thank you very much for returning the crit, I listened to the final song it really was something!. Really good, I'll post my critic later on your OP.

Im glad you like it and though you saw more genre's than I did o.O wich it was a nice touch for me to know what the hell was it. hah..

@MetalCommand

Again, thanks for your crit. Im glad you liked Finisterra, I knew you would. And def. worth the 15 mins of it :D

im still working on the bar 126 but I just dont seem to find any good progression in there, but I'll come up with something eventually.

Thanks again and please keep the critics coming! :D

MatrixClaw 06-13-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herby190
**** this guy. He left basically the same crit on my track. Please don't return his "crit."

He's not asking for a crit, he's an adbot :facepalm:

Karmic_Wheel 06-14-2012 10:36 PM

I like it, it has some pretty cool idea. Work with it alittle bit more and you'll have a really beautiful metal song.

MousseMoose 07-09-2012 02:19 AM

Hey I really enjoyed that! I love the weird time sigs all in the beginning. My favorite part was definitely the feel good section at 77.

I didn't really like that abrupt ending though. It doesn't really fit the song. And also measure 27 just too dissonant and out of place.

Anyways, it's a great song and you really do show that you have a lot of creativity. Unless you're completely happy with what you finish, I'd suggest taking longer to work out the kinks next time.

Karmic_Wheel 07-11-2012 10:28 PM

Some riffs where very black metal influenced, had a good atmosphere. But some riffs were kinda dry. But that might just be a taste thing. Overall pretty good.

chronos1989 07-12-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic_Wheel
Some riffs where very black metal influenced, had a good atmosphere. But some riffs were kinda dry. But that might just be a taste thing. Overall pretty good.

Oh thank you :D Yeah in those dry riffs im still trying to put on some keyboards that wont let them feel so "Empty"... Though if you could tell me wich riff do you hear it dry I'd be glad.

But thank you very much for your crit ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MousseMoose
Hey I really enjoyed that! I love the weird time sigs all in the beginning. My favorite part was definitely the feel good section at 77.

I didn't really like that abrupt ending though. It doesn't really fit the song. And also measure 27 just too dissonant and out of place.

Anyways, it's a great song and you really do show that you have a lot of creativity. Unless you're completely happy with what you finish, I'd suggest taking longer to work out the kinks next time.

Im really glad you like it :) and thank you. I know the ending is kind of abrupt but I dont know how to finished it :3 and im thinking in starting a song following that outro so it would fit as it is.

I really dont hear the dissonant note at 27, I really dont know.. maybe I'm the only one who hear it like that o.O dont know..

Also , a drummer friend of mine is working in the drums to give it another feel... because my drums suck lol im not a drummer >.<.

Again thank you everyone for your really supportive feedback and I'll try to post the new version as soon as I got it, though Im having a struggle here lol.

GU5T4V 07-15-2012 11:27 AM

This composition is an absolute mammoth as far as I reckon. I can't say that the "flow" bothered me at all, everything sounded smooth and like a logical continuation on the part before it.

The intro, up until 49, isn't exactly the strongest part, but god damn me if the riff at 54 didn't grab me by the balls. Love it. The tremolo part that follows is bland when compared, but the transition into the post-rock-esque part (77) is great. The post-rock-esque part is great too (I hear quite a bit of influences from Agalloch, I do not?).

The climatic ending is brilliant and beautiful (oh, the power of just two chords...). If this was on a record, I would definitely listen to the YouTube-rip all day long.

----

Now would you mind critting my latest piece? I hope you'll like it. I do.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1551459

chronos1989 10-27-2012 06:54 PM

@GU5T4V

First of all, sorry for taking too long answering but I havent had the time. And second, thank you for your crit. Yeah the 54 is pretty good hehe.
And No, I havent heard Agalloch :S Im going to look it up :).

I now have a "newest" version, but I really dont want to upload it until I manage to get the bar 124-126 a nice and smooth transition and is really frustrating >.<. If anyone has an idea for it, please go ahead. Change it, share it, i dont know. Im getting really frustrated at those bars.

EpiExplorer 10-27-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos1989
@GU5T4V

First of all, sorry for taking too long answering but I havent had the time. And second, thank you for your crit. Yeah the 54 is pretty good hehe.
And No, I havent heard Agalloch :S Im going to look it up :).

I now have a "newest" version, but I really dont want to upload it until I manage to get the bar 124-126 a nice and smooth transition and is really frustrating >.<. If anyone has an idea for it, please go ahead. Change it, share it, i dont know. Im getting really frustrated at those bars.

Dude, 3 months ago, I dont think anyone from this thread really remember this.

Still, start new thread with new song, I shall crits and try to help.