UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Silvertone guitar?????? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1533186)

you15 04-14-2012 01:24 PM

Silvertone guitar??????

Hey i have a silvertone guitar and i was wondering if anybody else has one? Also, if Silvertone guitars are good or not?????????

comeee 04-14-2012 01:26 PM

This one guy at my school who helps our class has one. They are hard to find i guess, i dont think they make those anymore.

Darkdevil725 04-14-2012 01:33 PM

Silvertone's are very common and generally just junk guitars made of plywood. There are some good ones out there but they are very expensive for the good stuff such as the Paul Stanley Apocalypse signature.

you15 04-14-2012 01:43 PM

so pretty much i have a junk guitar... Im trying to get a new one.

Metal_Mesh 04-14-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdevil725
Silvertone's are very common and generally just junk guitars made of plywood. There are some good ones out there but they are very expensive for the good stuff such as the Paul Stanley Apocalypse signature.

Well, Plywood don't have to mean "junk". The early Silvertone were like a (even) cheaper version of the Danoelectros in the 50-60s, made for Sear's or something like that (I suggest googling it) . I own a new Danoelectro, which is similar to the early Danoelectros/Silvertones and it has a nice jangly tone. I haven't tried the old ones though.

The newer ones are made in Asia and are pretty cheap beginners guitars. I've only tried the Paul Stanley Sovereign Pro-model and it was pretty good with Set neck, mirror pickguard, body-binding etc. Although I sold it to by a Ibanez Seven, and I kinda regret it today, since it was a good guitar.

Hope that helps! Be free to ask if you got more questions on the Paul Stanley-model.

Metal_Mesh 04-14-2012 01:45 PM

Does it look like a strat or more like a Danelectro?

kangaxxter 04-14-2012 01:49 PM

They are vintage instruments, but they were like the First Acts of their day.

you15 04-14-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_Mesh
Does it look like a strat or more like a Danelectro?

Its a Danelectro guitar. Its kool alot people say its a nice guitar. Its liquid black. Thats all i know about it. IT was my sis,she gave it to me. it cost about $120-160

Metal_Mesh 04-14-2012 01:56 PM

Is it a Danoelectro or a Silvertone?

If it looks like a Danoelectro it could be an old Silvertone, which is worth some money.

you15 04-14-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:
Is it a Danoelectro or a Silvertone?

If it looks like a Danoelectro it could be an old Silvertone, which is worth some money.

ITs a Danelectro guitar, i believedd it cost about $120-160 not sure. its liquid black solid body bought it in 2003. it says silvertone at the top of the headstock

Metal_Mesh 04-14-2012 03:28 PM

Old Silvertones have a solid body, meaning they don't have any "f-holes" (sorry), but the body of the guitar is build around a frame of some sort of wood with a masonite top and bottom. But the frame isn't solid, meaning it is chambered and "hollow".

So I guess the guitar looks something like this (?):

http://www.promusicdm.com/apicspost...tone%201449.JPG

third-eye 04-14-2012 03:46 PM

Silvertone, as far as I'm aware, was a division of Harmony musical instruments. Back in the day it was the biggest instrument company in the world before Fender and Gibson started mass producing their own guitars. If it sounds good to you, keep it. I recently found this 1946 Harmony archtop that looks like it hasn't been played in over 20 years, I bought it and it's pretty much the best slide guitar I've ever played! So if it sounds good to you, keep it. They won't be making those guitars ever again.

mig-29 04-14-2012 03:50 PM

some really old models of the sears and robuck silvertones are worth a good bit of money now. they were made of masonite had lipstick style pups, and had what looked like the strips that you put on the bottom of the bath tub to keep from slipping as a decorative binding around the body. the case had a built in amp. they made a big come back in the nineties with the grunge crowd.

Darkdevil725 04-14-2012 03:54 PM

Well like I said some are good. But most of the good ones end up costing you a lot. And plywood usually means junk *when speaking of value* though I use to have a plywood strat that sounded awesome and played just as good as it sounded but it was worthless as far as its value went.

Honestly id take a silvertone over a first act any day. Ive found more good silvertones than I have good first acts.

lucky1978 04-14-2012 05:31 PM

I have an old silvertone acoustic. It's small, the fret dots are painted on, no truss rod so it's warped to all hell, I think it's made from cardboard, and it's covered in stickers. It might be my favorite guitar...ok maybe not, close though

Metal_Mesh 04-14-2012 05:44 PM

My Danelectro (made in China, but anyway) is just great. Works goods for slide, surf, rock or stoner. Really like it. And it costed me $ 260... new.

you15 04-15-2012 02:17 PM

mybad my sisgot it in the ninties near the 2000 and it cost 500 dollars for the silvertone guitar and its still good and everyone likes it says its nice

you15 04-15-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:
My Danelectro (made in China, but anyway) is just great. Works goods for slide, surf, rock or stoner. Really like it. And it costed me $ 260... new.

my guitar isnt plywood its pinewood so my guitar is awesome LOOOLLL just found out

Point2Point 04-15-2012 02:43 PM

Isn't pine a soft wood?

you15 04-15-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point2Point
Isn't pine a soft wood?

No because if it isnt plywood, because its not soft. The wood is on my guitar is hard and solid