UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Short Story Competition #14 - theme: ROBOTS (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1548103)

captaincrunk 06-27-2012 11:34 PM

Short Story Competition #14 - theme: ROBOTS

Hey there writers of UG! This is for you. We've been hosting an ongoing competition for short stories! We're hoping that this thread will continue on. If you've any interest in writing, even if you've never tried, this is where to start! We will tell you how to do better.

This is the 14th round. Congratulations are in order for LionSlicer, who won the last competition!

his entry and all the others from the last competition can be found here, if you missed them.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...08&page=1&pp=40

This 14th round will be flash fiction, like previous rounds. But unlike previous rounds, the limit will be higher. Minimum of 250 words, maximum of 1000.

And now for the best part: teh rob0ts!!!

Your story must have at least one robot related element. It can be a setting, a character, part of the plot, whatever you want, it just has to involve robotics!

We'll make a list of judges here, starting with Lion_Slicer who wins a spot by winning the last competition. The rest will be volunteers, first come first serve.

1. Lion_Slicer
2. Harvey Swick

Dreadnought 06-27-2012 11:44 PM

oh my GOD

vicarious46 06-27-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
oh my GOD

:haha:

Spaztikko 06-27-2012 11:47 PM

Im down to write, do I submit here?

WCPhils 06-27-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:
oh my GOD

Carnivean 06-28-2012 12:03 AM

I like what you've done here ^_^

Possibly, I will enter. (although i'm god awful)

IRISH_PUNK13 06-28-2012 12:42 AM

I might consider this...

robertsanidiot 06-28-2012 12:59 AM

I've had the idea for a character named BluesB0t for the longest time that i've been dying to put into words, but I don't yet have my computer, and trying to write it all out on my phone would just give me a headache. So the legend of BluesB0t will have to wait to see the light of day.

captaincrunk 06-28-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:
oh my GOD

so glad you had the first response :haha: :haha: :haha:

Pagan_Poetry 06-28-2012 01:45 AM

I'm in.

shattamakar 06-28-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:
oh my GOD

De Ja Vu, the feeling that something that's already happened has happened again.

De Ja Vu, the feeling that something that's already happened has happened again.

Lion_Slicer 07-01-2012 12:49 AM

Hmm I already finished a 500-word story, but the higher limit will definitely help with fleshing out the characters. As mentioned I'll be judging, so if needed we can exclude my story from the competition. Mostly I just want to keep writing.

Spoiler alert: the robot falls in love...

moscaespaņol 07-01-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:
oh my GOD

:haha: :haha:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattamakar

Vu Da Je, the feeling that something that's happening has never happened before.

Harvey Swick 07-01-2012 02:22 AM

i volunteer to judge because i cant think of a decent robot story. though, i reserve the right to change my mind.

captaincrunk 07-01-2012 11:36 AM

I'm thinking that maybe the thread title isn't working :haha

rockingamer2 07-01-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk

The only reason I knew this was the short story thread was because I lurked the last part of the last one, mainly because I wanted to know why it was around for so damn long.

Carnivean 07-01-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Have a mod change it. For real.

or something.

MakinLattes 07-01-2012 04:16 PM

Let's get this bitch rolling with a hastily written 338 words.

Everybody's Dead, Darren

Darren carefully closed the closet door behind him and sagged against the wall, trying to bury himself among the musty parkas. It was pitch black, but his eyes were opened wide and wild. His breath came ragged and his hands shook as they clutched the shotgun his father had kept hung in the living room. He knew it was a useless piece of metal, as cold and unfeeling as his pursuers. They were coming for him. The slender automatons had descended upon his small town as a small, vicious horde. Their stainless steel fangs glinted under the street lights, dripping with a venom that would liquefy your bones and organs. He had seen his family turned into fleshy sacks of jiggling blobs, all too real blow up dolls with expressions of slack horror. He had only manage to pock the robot with a few ineffectual rounds, and fled with the few remaining shells rattling in his pockets.

The staircase creaked under a great weight and Darren stopped breathing. He couldn’t outrun them; their spindly legs had the shape and gait of a deer’s, their arms like razor sharp tentacles that telescoped out to impale their prey. He could only hide and sweat in fear, in the horrible knowledge that he would die. Everyone, everyone would die.

He sank to the floor and tried to prop the quivering shotgun above his knees, unsteadily aimed at the closet door. The hateful machine had made its way into the bedroom. The door knob turned and Darren squeaked, a warm wetness filling the seat of his pants. He could see the shadowed oval face, completely grey and featureless except for the eyes, the flashing red eyes and a thin line for a mouth filled with row after row of those poisoned fangs.

The door opened wider and Darren could see its entire head. I turned 12 today, he thought, and started to cry, remembering the birthday party that had gone so terribly wrong. The robot cocked its head and him and smiled.

captaincrunk 07-01-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean
Have a mod change it. For real.

or something.

So it shall be!

Carnivean 07-01-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:
So it shall be!

:cheers: