UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tabs & Chords (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   [CRIT4CRIT] "I Always Wanted To Be King" [Full Album][Metalcore][*.gp5/*.gp4/*.mid] (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1551984)

Rokkstar 07-18-2012 05:12 AM

[CRIT4CRIT] "I Always Wanted To Be King" [Full Album][Metalcore][*.gp5/*.gp4/*.mid]

3 Attachment(s)
IMPORTANT! If you like my material, please go "Like" my Facebook fan page to keep updated with my music and to receive immediate updates when tracks are out. This will also help me see how many people like my music... :) Thanks

Well... At this point you're all tired of hearing music written by ol' Rokkstar. lol. I'm so sure, so in honor of your unspoken requests... This is going to be my last upload for quite some time... I'm going to record my "Whatever Happens, Happens" album and then return to the Original Recordings forum looking for feedback on that. But this is a summary of my metalcore again... People say it's creative. People say it sucks. eh. Whatevs. :) It's what makes everyone happy. If you haven't already heard Allow Me To Introduce Myself, check my signature for a link to it.

Tracklisting
  1. You'll Never Kill Me Off (1:51)
  2. Leave It Unsaid (5:51)
  3. Extinction (6:04)
  4. Horizons Below (3:38)
  5. At the Top of the World (4:45)
  6. Watching Sunsets (4:07)
  7. Denial (4:22)
  8. Higher Than Life Could Take You (4:40)
  9. Abnormalia (3:21)
  10. The Swing of Things (3:45)
  11. Angels and Black Roses (4:23)
  12. Close-Eyed Landscapes (2:26)
  13. God Knows (7:07)

Erra93 07-18-2012 06:52 AM

That Rhodes Piano makes "At the Top of the World" soooooo great! Truly wish I had your composing skills :)

Obviously not a crit, far too tired for that, but damn dude, I think I've listened to all your albums and none of them have been disappointing, there's always been some outstanding songs that make up for the songs I don't enjoy as much :)

Rokkstar 07-18-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erra93
That Rhodes Piano makes "At the Top of the World" soooooo great! Truly wish I had your composing skills :)

Obviously not a crit, far too tired for that, but damn dude, I think I've listened to all your albums and none of them have been disappointing, there's always been some outstanding songs that make up for the songs I don't enjoy as much :)

You think you have listened to them all, pal! Haha. I've got four complete albums that aren't on the forum in any fashion anymore. :3 Generic metalcore + generic synthlines... Haha. You might've heard them at one point, but you would've definitely been disappointed with them... I, on the other hand, even those are oldies they're still ya know... idk.. Apples in my eyes... Even though I admit they're terrible tracks. haha. But this is me in my prime sorta. haha. :) I hope you enjoy the rest of it, maybe you could get around to a crit or review sometime later. Hit me with a track if you want something back. :P

Erra93 07-18-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokkstar
You think you have listened to them all, pal! Haha. I've got four complete albums that aren't on the forum in any fashion anymore. :3 Generic metalcore + generic synthlines... Haha. You might've heard them at one point, but you would've definitely been disappointed with them... I, on the other hand, even those are oldies they're still ya know... idk.. Apples in my eyes... Even though I admit they're terrible tracks. haha. But this is me in my prime sorta. haha. :) I hope you enjoy the rest of it, maybe you could get around to a crit or review sometime later. Hit me with a track if you want something back. :P

I'm actually a fan of generic metalcore + generic synthlines, as long as it sounds good I'm all game, don't care much if it's generic or not :)
I'll try sometime, but I'll tell you right now I very rarely take the time to crit because I don't have that many useful things to say anyway :rolleyes: we'll see though, if I stop being lazy one day I'll definitely give it another try!

Oh yes, Higher than life could take you is probably one of the best songs I've heard. Ever.

blake1221 07-18-2012 02:03 PM

I'm only four seconds in. You're phrasing is incredible on that opening solo. Extremely tasteful and enjoyable. Great opening.

You have a pretty...inspiring sense of vision. This is completely well thought out, cohesive, and the writing is impeccable. The heavy guitars in Leave It Unsaid sound like farts, but that's guitar pro, not you. I love how grandiose and ambitious this is, and I'm constantly impressed by the lead lines. It keeps this as a really entertaining listen. I'm only two songs deep, but I'm sure I'll be back with more.

If not, rest assured that this was great stuff. Pat yourself on the back.

One nitpick, to you and the dude below me: this isn't metalcore. It's good, it's great. Just not metalcore ;)

Ometh 07-18-2012 02:21 PM

Not going to crit this now, but I gotta say that I listened to your debut album, I think? (Allow me to introduce myself) and it's pretty solid for a Metalcore release. Tasteful solos, great melodies and riffs and doesn't tire you out by the end of it. Not a huge fan of the breakdowns, but you pull it off for shure. I might crit this later, I dunno.

Rokkstar 07-18-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
One nitpick, to you and the dude below me: this isn't metalcore. It's good, it's great. Just not metalcore ;)

I listen to a lot of metalcore, and when I started on the writing bandwagon people were going "Your metalcore music is absolutely terrible. Complete ****!" lol. So when they said that I was claiming for it to be MxC ever since... Is there another way that you would class it in particular? If it's not metalcore... The only other thing I could thing would be CarebearNightmareCore...

EDIT: Btw, thanks Ometh for telling my breakdown composition sucks... I'll be sure to add lots more tremolo. Haha.

Ometh 07-18-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221

Lol I know there are two types of metalcore that sound nothing alike: why the modern, melodic death influenced hardcore got called metalcore I dunno. The same thing happened with deathcore: modern deathcore has nothing to do with what some people used to call deathcore in the 90's: bands like Dying Fetus and Internal Bleeding being called that way since they had hardcore influences. I still call it like that because that's how I know it as lol.
But what would you classify it as, if not metalcore? Just wonderin'

Quote:
EDIT: Btw, thanks Ometh for telling my breakdown composition sucks... I'll be sure to add lots more tremolo. Haha.

No dude, not at all: if you like it, keep it as it is. Most of the breakdowns I found in the album I listened to were decent: I just don't like mindless open chugging, unless it has polymeters/polyrhytmins, I like that lol.

Rokkstar 07-21-2012 12:35 AM

I mean, I'm not the genre expert... I just thought it was metalcore... Everyone else did... What else could it be?

Ometh 07-23-2012 02:29 PM

I promissed a review, but I'm a lazy sod. Sorry :(

Gonna crit a random song: clicked randomly with my eyes closed and it opened At the top of the world, so here we go.
Nice keyz in the beginning, digging the happy progression. The single note riff reminds me of Fear Factory, but I don't really like it, although it fits. It has a nice progression though. At 18 it felt a bit way too dissonant: while I like it, you should change the F's in the synths to E's: it works, and it sounds nice. Drums at 19 are really weird, but what the hell do I know about drumming anyway. Digging the extra riff work at 21/22. Riff leads into the first verse nicelly. The vocal line is a bit weird in the beginning, but it turns nice at 35. Nice vocal break leads into the previous riff, doesn't fill tiring. Digging the happy string skipping riff at 51 with the clean vocals over it. A nice, simplistic solo, based on the vocal line follows, and it fits perfectly. Then I hear open chugs and I'm like "on no..." and then the tritones come and I'm like "Ewewewewewewewww". Fortunately the breakdown is short, and it leads into a previous rhythmin riff that leads into the last chorus. Really dig the vocal break at 92, and the distorted riff being played in clean this time. Wish the drums were different in this part.
Overall the song is very uplifting and nice, but the break feels unnecessary and a bit cliche: I mean, most of the riffing in this song is already very rhythmic, so there's no need IMO. Overall 7.5/10: I would rate it higher withouth the break and if it was longer.

Rokkstar 12-01-2012 09:04 PM

Ometh, I never saw what you wrote. Ever. As to what you said, I will definitely be taking out that section and rewriting a part there... The drums at some of the parts can be redone, you're right... I feel like that breakdown was totally forced. It's totally homosexual all day, you're completely right. I don't think I ever liked it to be completely honest with you, I just wanted something to strip a little bit of the one-way focus it was going, but looking back it'd be kinda nice to keep the idea going without trying to add that SURPRISE! :D ya know? :) You're right, thanks for your feedback friend! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
No dude, not at all: if you like it, keep it as it is. Most of the breakdowns I found in the album I listened to were decent: I just don't like mindless open chugging, unless it has polymeters/polyrhytmins, I like that lol.

Also... Check out God Knows... THe breakdown at the very end.. I didn't denote everything that was going on ... but it's massive polymeter lol.

Bassline is basic 4/4. Drums start out basic 4/4.

Bass changes into 5/8. Drums stay 4/4 with the 5/8 bass rhythm on the feet. The hightop synthesizer is 7/8. The guitars are doing the bass line at 5/8. Until the 3/4 measure.

frankibo 12-02-2012 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Also... Check out God Knows... THe breakdown at the very end.. I didn't denote everything that was going on ... but it's massive polymeter lol.

Bassline is basic 4/4. Drums start out basic 4/4.

Bass changes into 5/8. Drums stay 4/4 with the 5/8 bass rhythm on the feet. The hightop synthesizer is 7/8. The guitars are doing the bass line at 5/8. Until the 3/4 measure.

You killl the polymeter by only doing it in 2 bar bursts, that just ends up sounding like 2 syncopated bars of 4/4. To really get the feel of the polymeter you should keep it going for 5 bars so that the 5/8 cycles round accenting on different beats every bar until it starts at the beginning again.