UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The UG Community Stoner/Sludge/Doom Album - Planning Thread (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1553879)

entity0009 07-29-2012 02:19 AM

The UG Community Stoner/Sludge/Doom Album - Planning Thread

Alright, so, most of you will have probably heard one or more of the UG community albums, and will have seen the talent which is hiding away in the depths of the Pit. But as yet we haven't had an album dedicated to Stoner/Sludge/Doom, some of my favourite genres, and I'd like to see this changed. So I propose making another UG community album. There are some extremely talented individuals out there and I'd love to hear what people can do.

FAQ (Will add to this later):

What kind of music can I submit?

Anything which corresponds roughly to the genres listed above. Stoner Rock, Stoner Doom, all the other subgenres of Doom Metal, Sludge, even Psychadelic Rock.

It's all very well listing those genres, but they means nothing to me. Can you give me some examples?
Fo sho:

Stoner Rock
Sludge
Various subgenres of Doom Metal
Psychadelic Rock

There is plenty more to each genre, but that should give you a good idea of what I'm talking about here.

What about Post-Metal?
As much as I'd love to accept post-metal, there is already a well-established series of post-rock albums which include everything from post-rock to post-metal through shoegaze. Admittedly the line between post-metal and sludge can sometimes blur, but if your track is obviously more post-metal influenced you may be better off submitting it to the next post-rock album. Or you could submit it to both. I don't mind.

When is the deadline?
Haven't decided yet. I'll set one once I see how much interest this attracts.

Can I do a cover?

Covers cause all kind of issues with royalties and copyrights. I'm hoping to be able to release the album on Bandcamp, which has strict rules about covers. So sorry, no covers.

What format can I submit my tracks in?
Again, I'm hoping to release through Bandcamp which means I will need .wav or .flac files. Previews can be submitted in whatever format you see fit.

Does dubstep count
As long as you're stoned while you write it.

I'm in a band, can I submit my band's material or does it have to be just my own?
Material from a band you are in is fine, as long as the rest of the band is OK with it.

What about drone?
There is actually a UG drone album which has already been released, but I'm not sure if there are plans for another. I will accept drone if it has at least some doom/psych influences.

Where/how do you want tracks submitted?

Any method is acceptable as long as the tracks are in a Bandcamp-friendly format (.wav, .flac, and I believe .aif). There's no end to the different file-hosting sites out there- mediafire, dropbox, box.com, etc. Just choose one (make sure it doesn't have too low a filesize limit as lossless audio files can get pretty big).

Time limit on songs?
None, but work within reason. This isn't a Bull of Heaven album >_>

What is the plan for artwork? I suggest that every track also comes with a picture or some other form of visual media, and we get some awesome super helpful UG'er to do something cool with them all.
No plan for artwork as of yet, I'm waiting for submissions to start coming in so I can see if I have enough material to split the album up into two sets, a more stonery/psychadelic set and a gloomier, more melancholic set. If that happens we'll need 2 sets of different but related artwork done. On previous albums users have contributed ideas so that seems like the best approach, though chaos13 had the idea of each user submitting an image with their track which they felt fit the mood of their song (royalty/copyright free would be preferrable if it's going to be used- though it could just be used as inspiration). So if you want to do this, feel free to do so.

That's all the questions I can think of off the top of my head, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Collabs:

I'll keep a list in this post of people who have expressed interest in a collab, so if you want to work with someone else or simply can't record a certain instrument, just look down below.

List of potential collab'ers

NothingRocks (drum programming, bass, guitar, keys, and backing vocals)
Weirdbag (Needs singer)
K'nuckles (Needs drummer/drum programmer)
ma_tt11
eli7121 (Drummer - Example)
JustRooster (Example of vocals1 2 3 )
Mack56
Vince Sixx
chaos13
So-Cal wouldn't mind somebody writing and recording vocals for this. I guess PM him or post in this thread if you're down.

So yeah, let's see how this does.

Weaponized 07-29-2012 02:21 AM

Does dubstep count

Portuguese_boy 07-29-2012 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponized
Does dubstep count

As long as you're stoned while you write it.

TheTee56 07-29-2012 02:24 AM

I'd love to see some good stoner/psychedelic music come out of here. It's among my favorite genres as well.

Vince Sixx 07-29-2012 02:26 AM

I'm in. Definitely.

caeser1156 07-29-2012 02:29 AM

Seriously though, I play in a psychedelic band so I may tackle this myself. If the deadline is as far as November or December though would it be against the rules for me to actually have my band submit material, or do I have to write my song by myself?

OfCourseNot 07-29-2012 02:30 AM

I first read the title as Drone metal instead of Doom.

entity0009 07-29-2012 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeser1156

Seriously though, I play in a psychedelic band so I may tackle this myself. If the deadline is as far as November or December though would it be against the rules for me to actually have my band submit material, or do I have to write my song by myself?

That would be fine. I'll edit this question into the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfCourseNot
I first read the title as Drone metal instead of Doom.

There is actually a UG drone album which has already been released, but I'm not sure if there are plans for another. I will accept drone if it has at least some doom/psych influences.

OfCourseNot 07-29-2012 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entity0009

Hell yeah.

muffinduck01 07-29-2012 02:40 AM

I have something i'm working on now that will probably fit with this. I was planning on submitting it to the Post Rock album, it would fit in better here. (Because it's heavy and stuff >_> )

caeser1156 07-29-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Alright, cool man. I know the other dudes in my band are gonna be stoked about doing this. I don't get back to my dorm till August 22nd though so our song is probably gonna cut really close to the deadline.

entity0009 07-29-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeser1156
Alright, cool man. I know the other dudes in my band are gonna be stoked about doing this. I don't get back to my dorm till August 22nd though so our song is probably gonna cut really close to the deadline.

As I said, there's no deadline yet, so don't worry about that :p:

caeser1156 07-29-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:
As I said, there's no deadline yet, so don't worry about that :p:

Alright mate :cheers:

I'm gonna stay active in this thread so everything should be fine. And I'll definitely let you know when we start writing and then when we actually record it and everything.

entity0009 07-29-2012 02:46 AM

Awesome man, I look forward to it :)

byob_soad2 07-29-2012 02:47 AM

would love to be part of some stoner/sludge metal, but I can't actually do anything. So I'll just be waiting patiently for the release :D

So-Cal 07-29-2012 03:41 AM

I'm in provided i can actually write something decent.

pbiggie 07-29-2012 04:32 AM

I wish I could be a part of this, but I have no recording equipment.

TheReverend724 07-29-2012 04:52 AM

i don't have the equipment necessary for this but i want to participate really bad

entity0009 07-29-2012 04:58 AM

There's always the possibility of writing something and having someone else record it for you?

jrcsgtpeppers 07-29-2012 05:04 AM

what about a lighter pychadelic shoegaze? i dont write electric wizard/sabbath doom rock, but may try this out