UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   CHEAP bass heads suitable for gigs and touring? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1554811)

JakeLTD 08-02-2012 03:38 PM

CHEAP bass heads suitable for gigs and touring?

Hey guys this is a post on behalf of the bassist from my band. He can play bass pretty well but has about much knowledge as I have when it comes to bass equipment which seeing as i've always been a guitarist isnt much

He's just been DI'ing bass and borrowing the occasional head at shows for the past few months but he really needs one asap for rehearsals and touring. literally talking cheap as humanly possible!

He needs a hardcore/punk ish tone as similar to this as possible

He's found a behringer ultrabass for 108 if there's anything better value for money then we're open to as many suggestions as possible!

Spanner93 08-02-2012 05:02 PM

inb4 Behringer sucks (Not this ****ing chestnut again).

Yeah, it's fit for purpose but it ain't anything special. Unless you can find anything that's a little more reliable used, the behringer'll do fine especially considering the whole budget issue.

Also, expect certain users to turn up here trying to convince you that behringer is the work of the devil etc. Take it all with a pinch of salt mate.

ProphetToJables 08-02-2012 05:04 PM

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ba250h.htm ?

Sudaka 08-02-2012 05:32 PM

Used hatrke ha series. ha2500 will be cheaper, but, if possible, the ha3500 is worth the stretch.

Ones to avoid for SUPPOSED reliability issues:
anything from Behringer (no experience with them)
GK Backline (I also think it sounds horrid)

You could also look at the mb200 from Gallien Krueger, which is very small and portable, and that's a big plus. Askrere seems to love it. but you may feel it's a tad not powerful enough (however, with a decent cab, you'll be ok.)

ExDementia 08-02-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudaka
Ones to avoid for SUPPOSED reliability issues:
anything from Behringer (no experience with them)
GK Backline (I also think it sounds horrid)

I had a GK Backline half stack when I played bass, then sold it to my current bassist when I went to guitar. With some EQ work, I honestly think its a pretty decent sounding amp for the price. :shrug:

Sudaka 08-02-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDementia
I had a GK Backline half stack when I played bass, then sold it to my current bassist when I went to guitar. With some EQ work, I honestly think its a pretty decent sounding amp for the price. :shrug:

There are people who like its tone, i simply don't. And i wouldn't recommend it since it seems to have a bad reputation on the reliability side...

consecutive e 08-02-2012 11:05 PM

What's your budget? If you're touring (and it sounds like you're doing so without a back up) you want something reliable, not something that may as well have been put together by sticky tape like a Behringer.
Look for a used Ashdown ABM500. If I can get one for $500 used here they should be pretty cheap over in the UK.

Xp3ns1v3 08-03-2012 12:43 AM

I paid around $700 USD for both my Acoustic B600H and Seismic Audio 3x10. Loud as all hell and rugged.

ChemicalFire 08-03-2012 10:10 AM

I used to play through a Warwick ProFet 3.2. Not the most interesting sounding bass amp in the world, but it made things louder (300 watt head) and it wasn't exactly expensive.

But hell, you can pick up an Ashdown Mag EVOII for 175, I'd just go for that if I were you. I wouldn't recommend anything cheaper.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_ma...fc8b17 475016e

If you want a nice clunky punk tone you'll probably need some kind of OD too.

consecutive e 08-03-2012 10:24 AM

I really liked the old Profets. Loud as hell and great sounding for cheap as chips. There's an older IV model on eBay that's been tempting me but with a new cab coming in next week it's not on the cards at the moment.
Look for Warwick amps TS.

RubberSoul54321 08-04-2012 10:10 AM

Used Ashdown MAG 300. Epic punk sound - think JJ Burnell.

Robbgnarly 08-04-2012 10:30 AM

Ashdown and Hartke are two solid choices.

A guy who played bass with my band about 8 yrs ago had one of the behringer Ultrabass heads. It sounded good for a few months, and then it broke down. We played regularly and did quite a bit of traveling. I wouldn't suggestr it if your on the road alot.

The GK Backline is alright for the money. I know a guy who has one, actually he is on his 3rd one. The first 2 fried on him though. they have the RB preamp section (GK's flagship bass amp) but a cheap power amp section.

You may even want to look for a used GK RB 400 head. They are bullet proof.

RubberSoul54321 08-04-2012 11:23 AM

I played through a GK a while back, not sure what model: it belonged to one of the other bands. Must say I didn't like the sound at all. On the other habnd I did use a Hartke at another gig and was very impressed. Peavey are solid as ****.

Sudaka 08-04-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSoul54321
Peavey are solid as ****.

And heavy as ****. :D

askrere 08-04-2012 10:26 PM

I do use a MB200, but I am in the process of moving on sort of. I am keeping the head as it is the best backup head hands down, @ 2 pounds, 200 watts and $250. Just as you said needs a good cab to be used to full potential.

I'm getting a Kustum DE300HD (300 watts) if I can, if I can't I think I'll be getting a Peavey T-max (500 watts) from a guy used.

I was going for the Orange Bass terror but it's impossible for me at this time, rare used and expensive no matter what.

I'd suggest looking into peavey as well. Cheap reliable gear, and regardless of what you get, just grab a sansamp and you'll sound just fine.

If I get the T max, I'll be running a peavey Windsor into a peavey 1x15 and the T-max into a peavey 2x15 in tandem. All I'll need is a T-40 to play :D

chatterbox272 08-04-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by askrere
just grab a sansamp and you'll sound just fine.

If the TS is looking at behringer then they probably can't afford a sansamp. Although the Behringer sansamp clone (BDI21) gets a lot of positive comments over on talkbass. And in the blind sound test I did I preferred it's sound to the real sansamp

askrere 08-04-2012 11:30 PM

yea the berhinger is supposed to be good for that pedal, but yea they guy is really just need any hunk of crap that can sling a good number of watts into some a 4x10 and worry about dialing in his tone elsewhere or not at all.

If you are in dire straits, ask friends and family for money to support him.

I hate to be an asshole, especially without all the facts, but if he's just "pretty good" at bass, and you've been playing shows, and are about to go on tour I assume and he can't even steal/borrow/buy a consistent semi professional setup he doesn't seem like the ideal candidate for a band that wants to be serious.

Sudaka 08-05-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by askrere
yea the berhinger is supposed to be good for that pedal, but yea they guy is really just need any hunk of crap that can sling a good number of watts into some a 4x10 and worry about dialing in his tone elsewhere or not at all.

If you are in dire straits, ask friends and family for money to support him.

I hate to be an asshole, especially without all the facts, but if he's just "pretty good" at bass, and you've been playing shows, and are about to go on tour I assume and he can't even steal/borrow/buy a consistent semi professional setup he doesn't seem like the ideal candidate for a band that wants to be serious.

Well, I disagree with that. He may be a great, but broke musician, and what you need is a good musician, not a richie rich... What a lot of bands do here in argentina is that they invest altogether and try to buy the equipment needed. all the band saves cash and buys the equipment for the band, so if the band needs a new amp for the bass, all the members put some cash and get something useful... talk to your band and see if this is a possibility or not.

If the band is serious, they should do that...

chatterbox272 08-06-2012 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudaka
Well, I disagree with that. He may be a great, but broke musician, and what you need is a good musician, not a richie rich... What a lot of bands do here in argentina is that they invest altogether and try to buy the equipment needed. all the band saves cash and buys the equipment for the band, so if the band needs a new amp for the bass, all the members put some cash and get something useful... talk to your band and see if this is a possibility or not.

If the band is serious, they should do that...

If they do that though, they should get something in writing saying what happens in the case that the band breaks up/people leave so that things don't go bad.

Sudaka 08-06-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
If they do that though, they should get something in writing saying what happens in the case that the band breaks up/people leave so that things don't go bad.

Well, of course they should talk that out, but they're still supposed to be a SERIOUS band so they shouldn't be thinking of breaking up... Plus, if they can't agree in saving a few bucks for equipment because they fear of breaking up, they aren't a serious band IMHO. If people leave the band, but the band still goes on, i think that the person leaving should leave the thing bought together behind them... but then again, this is my opinion.

BTW TS posted nothing since ge/she made the thread... i don't think he/she is interested in the topic no more...