UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Classic rock sounding guitars with thin necks? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1561412)

jason_lee_91 09-05-2012 11:15 PM

Classic rock sounding guitars with thin necks?

Hi everyone,

So my style of music has really changed alot recently and I am in the market for a new guitar.

I am looking for a guitar that has a very vintage and really punchy and ballsy sound.
Ive tried several les pauls at the local music store and i liked the sound of them but the necks were just too thick.
Strat necks feel alright but even humker strats i find dont sound has thick as a les paul.

I currently have an Ibanez RG 870QMZ and I love it. The neck on it feels so natural to me. i really like the wide, thin neck.

Does anyone have any gutiars I might want to look at that might be well suited for me??

Any insight is appreciated :)

Kevin Saale 09-05-2012 11:16 PM

Put some PAF style pickups in your ibanez?

gregs1020 09-05-2012 11:20 PM

the gold top ec-1000 has a pretty thin neck and passive buckers.

RealGuitarHero 09-05-2012 11:39 PM

^that sounds like a great guitar for classic rock tones

I agree with Kevin. The sound comes more from your amp, but having like for example High Gain pickups in your guitar will make it more difficult. Though I don't know what kind of pickups are in that guitar.

mespinos 09-05-2012 11:54 PM

Thin neck Agile AL.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product5223.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/product5214.html

Cathbard 09-05-2012 11:57 PM

Gibson Les Paul R0

jason_lee_91 09-06-2012 12:02 AM

I have a traynor YCS100 amp. Maybe its the amp I am going to want to change?

I tried looking for which pick ups they have. They come stock with puCAP-VM and i cant seem to get much information on them.

one other thing is though, I like my current gutiar and i was planning on keeping it. and i would like a fixed bridge if possible. a floating bridge is great but sometimes i wish i had a fixed bridge or a fender style tremolo instead.

Cathbard 09-06-2012 12:04 AM

Sounds to me like new pickups are the order of the day. Maybe something like some Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. They have a PAF-like tone but with a bit extra grunt.

jason_lee_91 09-06-2012 12:05 AM

I have heard that agiles can be great especially for their price. i will look into them.
maybe an agile with a pickup swap would work well for me. only thing is, i wont get the chance to try an agile and since the neck is the most important thing to me, i am a little reluctant.

And although i dont have a strict budget and i am willing to wait a little longer to save more money, but the Les Paul R0 is wayyy more than what i have.

mikey85123 09-06-2012 12:21 AM

The shecter c1 custom sounds pretty good and comes with duncans.

LP_CL 09-06-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey85123
The shecter c1 custom sounds pretty good and comes with duncans.

And c0il tapz!!

LordPino 09-06-2012 05:58 AM

To me, Carvins are the most comfortable guitars to play (the neck is just lovely), and they really have a lot of attitude. Very, very tasty stuff.
Or maybe a Charvel? Jackson? ESP?

steven seagull 09-06-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_lee_91
Hi everyone,

So my style of music has really changed alot recently and I am in the market for a new guitar.

I am looking for a guitar that has a very vintage and really punchy and ballsy sound.
Ive tried several les pauls at the local music store and i liked the sound of them but the necks were just too thick.
Strat necks feel alright but even humker strats i find dont sound has thick as a les paul.

I currently have an Ibanez RG 870QMZ and I love it. The neck on it feels so natural to me. i really like the wide, thin neck.

Does anyone have any gutiars I might want to look at that might be well suited for me??

Any insight is appreciated :)

Stick a pair of Dimarzio Breeds in it, you'll be happy then

W4RP1G 09-06-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_lee_91
Strat necks feel alright but even humker strats i find dont sound has thick as a les paul

That thickness is something the right EQ settings can take care of.

Honestly, you could probably make guitar with a decent alnico 5 pickup sound good for classic rock with the right amp and EQ, and possibly by rolling back the volume knob.

Dave_Mc 09-06-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale

+1

if you like how the guitar feels to play, PAF-y pickups will make it sound a lot more vintage. It won't turn it into a les paul, but it might get you close enough. And it's less risk than buying another guitar that you might not like the feel of (you can always put the pickups into your new guitar if they don't do what you want in the ibanez, or sell the pickups separately, etc. ).

Geldin 09-06-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

This. Some PAFs or similarly low output pups will put you in the right direction.

Mind Kill 09-07-2012 12:40 PM

Gibson flying V's.

Quintex 09-07-2012 01:01 PM

Any 1960 based Les Paul Traditional.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...1960-Zebra.aspx

Offworld92 09-07-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

This. Buying an entire new guitar for a ~$120 solution is just dumb. And you'll lose the playability that you love.

i3oosted 09-07-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
the gold top ec-1000 has a pretty thin neck and passive buckers.

Have one and it's awesome. Thin U neck, extremely fast, bend friendly, with SD alnico II's. Classic rock tonez out the anoose!