UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   [NGD] Sold my valve amps and bought a Line6... (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1562614)

kyle62 09-12-2012 04:52 PM

[NGD] Sold my valve amps and bought a Line6...

So that's it......for the first time in over ten years of gigging I don't own any valve amps. :wtf:

Today I got my new Line6 Duoverb, and parted with my Marshall 30th Anniversary combo.

Some of the amps I've owned:

- Fender Blues Jr
- Mesa Boogie DC-5
- Orange Dual Terror
- Handwired Marshall 1974x
- Hayden Mofo
- Peavey Windsor + 4x12
- Marshall 6101LM

But now I've given it up and gone digital.

The modelling is fantastic, it's got tons of volume, and can do absolutely anything I need.
With a floorboard, you get built-in wah, volume pedal and tuner as well as access to a daft amount of presets. I can even blend two amps together at once.
It's a 2x12, but it weighs 12 kilograms less than my 1x12 valve combo.

Much as I loved my valve tone....the light weight, reliability, consistency, flexibility and other things ending in 'y' make digital modelling perfect for day-to-day gigging.

Who else has an interesting story where you've 'downgraded' out of choice?

H4T3BR33D3R 09-12-2012 04:58 PM

I sold my amp recently. Mostly because I don't gig anymore.

I just use Amplitube now but I don't think I would've gotten rid of my pedal board and amp for a modeller if I still played live. I only need one sound anyway, I go clean with the volume pot on my guitar and my picking.

311ZOSOVHJH 09-12-2012 05:05 PM

:golfclap:

HNL6D :cheers:

dementiacaptain 09-12-2012 05:49 PM

HERESY! :haha: HNAD, been curious about the duo verb

gregs1020 09-12-2012 06:07 PM

that's a really cool amp. a buddy of mine just sold his and it's probably one of the better less expensive solid state amps out there.

congrats! :cheers:

Offworld92 09-12-2012 06:19 PM

Shoulda got a Vypyr Tube. :o

:haha: HNAD!

MatrixClaw 09-12-2012 07:07 PM

I "downgraded" from my Diezel Herbert to an Axe-FX II and then a Kemper.

Don't regret it at all (at least on the Kemper) :p:

HNAD!

dementiacaptain 09-12-2012 07:09 PM

Still like the kemper huh? I suppose this means it made past two weeks :haha: TS, any way you can get some clips?

MatrixClaw 09-12-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
Still like the kemper huh? I suppose this means it made past two weeks :haha: TS, any way you can get some clips?

:haha:

Had it over a month now... maybe 2? ;)

Every time I plug into it, it sounds better!

dementiacaptain 09-12-2012 08:13 PM

Well I'm glad you found something that you can stick with. I really want to play one next to an Axe, or play one period. I was really skeptical of the Kemper at first, but you have me almost convinced :haha:

GNRAGE_2010 09-13-2012 12:55 AM

I would never trade my pedal board for in-amp modeling of effects.

MatrixClaw 09-13-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNRAGE_2010
I would never trade my pedal board for in-amp modeling of effects.

Plenty of great rack units that are just as good, if not better, sounding than pedals. Not to mention, you also only have to press 1 button on a MIDI controller to switch a bajillion effects on and off, instead of tap dancing all over the place :shrug:

Offworld92 09-13-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Plenty of great rack units that are just as good, if not better, sounding than pedals. Not to mention, you also only have to press 1 button on a MIDI controller to switch a bajillion effects on and off, instead of tap dancing all over the place :shrug:

+1000

Cathbard 09-13-2012 02:17 AM

Of all amps to trade in - a 6101??? :wtf: Buy a new amp sure - but get rid of a 30th anniversary???

I don't want to talk to you no more you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.

pinheadslts75 09-13-2012 02:19 AM

meh, I like tap dancing and modeling has yet to do a fuzz sound I like.

Starting to adore modelers for high-gain metal stuff though.

MrFlibble 09-13-2012 02:43 AM

Nice one. I think the impracticality of valve amps is often forgotten and the value of solid state amps, especially modellers, for regularly gigging musicans can not be overstated. My valve stack and pedal board sure sounds great but sod dragging it to 99% of places.

HNAD

kyle62 09-13-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Of all amps to trade in - a 6101??? :wtf: Buy a new amp sure - but get rid of a 30th anniversary???

I don't want to talk to you no more you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.

Seen the inside of one though? Total nightmare, I was constantly living in fear that it would break and cost me a fortune. I suppose you could handle it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
I "downgraded" from my Diezel Herbert to an Axe-FX II and then a Kemper.

Don't regret it at all (at least on the Kemper) :p:

HNAD!

Very, very nice indeed. Shame you didn't get a chance to profile your Herbert before you sold it, eh?

gerrywm 09-13-2012 07:18 AM

I can see where he is coming from, am I right in saying you play in a cover band?

If so I would not blame you for getting a nice light easy to handle amp with a floor unit... There is no point in carrying heavy expensive and easily damaged gear around to pub/club gigs where most people couldnt tell the difference any way...

HNGD!

ikey_ 09-13-2012 07:45 AM

i cant really bash - that amp is not really any form of budget amp, thats a nice amp!

im sure the modeling is acceptable.

ive heard some gigs with high end line 6 amps and they pull off a lot of tones quite well. not really my preference, but it did the job.

and really, the audience doesnt care.

so i really cant blame you. if i ever had really high end gear and pulled a move like that i would probably buy axe FX.

question - does the kemper have modeling already or do you have to "steal" amp tones you come across? like do you have to hit all your friends up and be like "yo man let me come jack your mesa tone and put it in this kemper"

Maineguitarist 09-13-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard

:haha: :haha: :haha: