UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Recordings (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Using SM57 for Recording Vocals (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1562858)

Afroboy267 09-14-2012 08:48 AM

Using SM57 for Recording Vocals

So my band is recording a new song for release and we're trying to work out the best way of recording for our vocalist.

We used my Rode NT1-A for our EP but used my SM57 for a few demos since then. We've found he performs much better when using the SM57 due to it being a hand-held mic.

What do you guys think about using the SM57 for recording over the NT1-A? He uses pretty much all screams.

lockwolf 09-14-2012 09:39 AM

I'd use the 57 for screams. It'll actually hold up longer.

Afroboy267 09-14-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
I'd use the 57 for screams. It'll actually hold up longer.

How do you mean hold up longer?

ChemicalFire 09-14-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroboy267
We've found he performs much better when using the SM57 due to it being a hand-held mic.
ms.

He doesn't cup the mic does he...

GaryBillington 09-14-2012 12:51 PM

Use whichever mic works best for you - what works for one person may not work for another, so if you get the best recording with an SM57 it seems to me you'd be daft to use something else just because it's technically the right thing to do.

Beauty/Broken 09-14-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroboy267
How do you mean hold up longer?

I think he means that the loud screams will damage the diaphragm of the microphone.

While it's correct that very high SPL can damage diaphragms most modern microphones are very robust, and as such you can quite happily record guitar through a loud amplifier using a LDC and not really worry about doing it any damage.

As such, I wouldn't worry about your vocalist's screams doing any harm :P

eddiehimself 09-14-2012 01:21 PM

Use whatever the singer is comfortable with. There really isn't anything wrong with using an SM57 for recording vocals. In fact, many professional studios use them for recording backing vocals.

Afroboy267 09-14-2012 06:27 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
He doesn't cup the mic does he...

Naah, he doesn't do that. He just finds it captures the live feel better when using a held-mic rather than one on a stan

kyle62 09-14-2012 07:40 PM

If he's just singing better because of the 'performance element' of holding the mic, use the pad switch if the NT1-A has one, and just let him hold it. The handling noise will need removing but you can get some results this way.

Sounds like the 57 is a good match for his voice though. An SM-7 would probably be great.

Arch1119 09-15-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty/Broken
I think he means that the loud screams will damage the diaphragm of the microphone.

While it's correct that very high SPL can damage diaphragms most modern microphones are very robust, and as such you can quite happily record guitar through a loud amplifier using a LDC and not really worry about doing it any damage.

As such, I wouldn't worry about your vocalist's screams doing any harm :P

This guy is dead on, most large diaphragm mics you would have to scream about as loud as a 747 engine from 100ft away directly into the mic to damage the mic with sound.I mean my st59 can take 140db, before the 10db pad. Recording with a 57 might work though, at the least you could probably find a cool tone to blend. The guy from the smashing pumpkins records his vocals with a sm58 btw

oneblackened 09-16-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
If he's just singing better because of the 'performance element' of holding the mic, use the pad switch if the NT1-A has one, and just let him hold it. The handling noise will need removing but you can get some results this way.

Sounds like the 57 is a good match for his voice though. An SM-7 would probably be great.

Seconding this.

flame843 09-16-2012 11:19 AM

If you're just recording screams it doesn't matter too much, but I find for anything else, a dynamic mic like a 57 or 58 is really airy and, ironically, doesn't convey the dynamics of your voice very well. In most situations a condenser mic will get a much better response when recording vocals. But if it works for your singer and you like the sound you're getting from it, more power to you :)

fastlanestoner 09-18-2012 04:41 PM

I would go with the 57 over the Rode any day for vox. Might sound good on melodic vox but not screaming.